FORUMS

[Guide] Pre, Rooting and After Defy Mini detailed for beginners

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By kpetrov, Junior Member on 22nd May 2015, 11:38 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I am beginner too, and i am not a developer for sure. But did many tests with available methods for root, all of it do not work properly for my ROM. And I also tried provable method with ROM, like Orange_Spain. Yes its root is easy and fast and work properly, but my rom is not Orange_Spain .

So i spend a few days to try, test and combined available methods for root my Mini, and i think i find out the universal and safe root method by combined other available methods. And now i believe that combined method is universal for use. Anyway the rooting is a kind of hacking, and when u did something like that, is very possible to received any bugs or to brick the phone. But if u really want to root the Mini, if this method don`t did it for your rom, try it once more time and be sure u did all as is described. Even if this still don`t work properly for your rom, i advice to do not give up, and to try find the solution.
The other reason to post my experience here, is to made one detailed guide, step by step for ppl without any experience about that.

The short version of the guide will be posted at the end of this post.

[THE GUIDE]

I. THE PRE - things u need to do before start the rooting process.

*Make a backup of your Phone, the backup of the files in the sd card is easy. U can also search and download a bunch of software which can did u full backup of your ROM. And once u have the backup save it to ur PC. Or u can find your firmware ROM here. There a lot of firmware ROMs.
*u can check your ROM version, by tap Settings->About the phone and scroll down to "software version". Different ROMs may have a lil bit various menus.

1. Download and install on your PC the following software: - i used random share site and if you don`t trust about my links, u may find the following files and software from other sources.2. Now download this package
II. THE ROOT
1. Remove the SIM card. - this is not necessary, it it just in case to not leak ur SIM internet, and to not slow the following procedure in case if u have many contacts on ur SIM.
2. Check do u have fastboot mode on your phone. U can do it by - first - power off the phone and second - press and hold for few seconds both VOL -(minus), VOL+ and POWER buttons. If u have fastboot mode on the screen u will see on the top that inscription - fastboot mode, if u dont have fastboot mode u will seee on the screen one big image of the android cartoon and some open package .
So my rom don`t have fastboot mode, but neither your phone have i it, i advice to execute the following step 3, which main reason is to obtain the fastboot mode but i feel is not only about that. The whole process is explained from point 3. to 3.16. bellow.
3. To do it you must did the method posted by user @rootdefyxt320 in this tread.
I will try to describe the method a lil bit detailed for absolute beginners and a lil bit different step-by-step adapted for my method
It is -
3.1. Power off the phone
3.2. Make a new folder on your PC. Now download MotoAndroidDepacker and SBF-recalc.
3.3. Now, u already must have a backup of ur ROM, by doing it by ur own, like is mentioned at the start of the tread, or u must have already downloaded ur desired firmware ROM from here, anyway the file extension must be .sbf. Check this before to proceed bellow.
3.4. Make a new folder on ur PC, then copy MotorolaAndroidDepacker and ur .SBF ROM (it is mentioned in previous step 3.3.).
3.5. Start MotorolaAndroidDepacker(MAD) by clicking on it icon and select the button 'Open From file', then select the SBF (it is mentioned in previous steps 3.3. and 3.4.)file and open that file. If u r truly beginner, just select ur .sbf file, then press F2 on ur PC keyboard and rename the file to "Bunny.sbf".
3.6. Now on working screen of MAD click on the button 'Split to folder'. After that u must received a new folder in ur main folder, with the same name like the splitted .sbf, but with the word '-extracted' at the end. In example if ur .sbf file which u splited already is named "bunny", then the folder which u will received will be named "bunny-extracted". And i will use that name in following steps of explanation. And this new folder must contain three files - CG2.smg, firmware.hmg and RAMDLD.smg.
3.7. Again select the button 'Open from File' on MAD and change the selection of file type to 'MOTOBLUR mbn image (*CG2.smg)'. And open the CG2.smg file which u received in step 3.6. And hit 'Split to folder' again. Now in ur last current folder, u will received a new folder, named "CG2-extracted".
3.8. Now download these files, posted by user @rootdefyxt320. Unzipped the files, then copy all files and pasted and replaced it in the folder named "CG2-extracted".
3.9. Now on ur still opened MAD, select 'Open Files Folder' and open the folder named "CG2-Extracted" . Hit 'compile file' option. Now in the last current folder named "CG2-extracted" u will received a new folder called "rebuilt". That folder contain a new file named CG2.smg. Now copy that file CG2.smg and the files, named "firmware.hmg" and "RAMDLD.smg" from the folder named "Bunny-extracted", and put all these three files in in the new, fresh folder, named "Final".
3.10. Open SBF-recalc program, and select the button 'Open CG-Folder, and open the folder named "Final".
3.11. Now select 'Create SBF-File' and wait for a moment. After the process ended u will received a new folder in the last current folder which we named "Final". That new folder must contain just one file, named firmware.sbf. Can copy that file in one fresh folder or just on PC desktop. Anyway next step which u need to do is to flash that final "firmware.sbf" to ur phone.
3.12.To do it u need to put the phone in flash mode by pressing and hold both VOL -(minus), CAMERA and POWER buttons.
3.13. Plug in the phone to the PC through your USB cable.
3.14. Start RSDlite. If all is fine on the working screen of the RSDlite u must view the message that prove ur phone is connected to the pc in real. Now using RSDlite open that final "firmware.sbf" file which u received at the end ot the step 3.11
3.15. Press start, and wait until RSDlite flash the phone with the new .sbf file. At the end of the process, on the working screen of RSDlite u may see messages like - "PASS" or "Manually start ur device" or "in processing". Anyway, the important is to check is that in the working screen of the RSDlite the whole process is ended on 100%.
3.16. Now unplug ur phone. And then if ur phone is not powered on, just powered on.

4. Connect ur phone to the the PC via USB.
*NOTE - check if ur phone if is connected to the PC in real. If is not, try these simple steps - u may did that - unplug the phone and did restarts on it. After this if it can not connected again to the PC, do this on PC - right click on "My computer"", then click on "manage" -> device manager->universal serial bus controllers, and then uninstall "composite USB". Restart the PC. Wait until Windows install the drivers in fresh and then plug in ur phone to the USB.
5. On ur phone tap Settings->Applications->Development->tap "USB debugging mode" and pres OK, also check "Stay awake" is on. The first one is necessary and the second one is to not sleep ur screen til the process.
6. Copy .zip file named Update.zip to ur sd card.
7. Copy the folder named "root_xt320". (u must have it if u did this tutorial step-by-step) to the C: of ur PC.
8. On ur Windows PC, go to Start menu, and type cmd. It will prompt to u, the windows command window.
*note if u don`t know what is cmd, and how to use it find any tutorial on the net.
9. On cmd prompt window, navigate to ur PC C: , usually by typing twice the command - cd.. Anyway u need to navigate by cmd window to the folder named root_xt320. Once u r in the C: dir u must type in the cmd prompt the comand - cd root_xt320. Once u are in the root_xt320 on the cmd u must did the following steps - 10 and 11.
10. On cmd, type - adb reboot-bootloader and wait until ur phone load in fastboot mode.
11. After this, on cmd, type - fastboot boot recovery.img
*NOTE - if u dont understand this, go and watch that video from 24 minute to 27 minute.
12. Now, on ur phone screen must appear the menu, which offer u some option. U must navigate up or down, by presing VOl- or VOL+ buttons on the phone.
13. Navigate to "install zip from sdcard" and install it, probably the button for execute will be the POWER button
14.Then u will see menu with "choose zip from sd card". select it and execute by pressing POWER button
15. Navigate to "yes instal update.zip" and execute.
16. Navigate to "Yes - install fix root" and execute.
17. Use back button on ur phone, navigate to "reboot", and execute.

18. Now ur phone is rooted, go to the apps, u must see a new app, named "Superuser".
*NOTE - if u don`t understand how to do it, read this post.
19. Unplug the phone from USB.
20. Now, in case u r removed ur SIM in the first step, just install it on the Phone.

Now connect ur phone, start via USB.

Now on ur PC, start MiniTool Partition Wizard program. Go in youtube and find out tutorial, how this progam work The important thing u must know is what is the version of android ROM on ur phone. U can check your ROM version, by tap Settings->About the phone and scroll down to "software version". Then go to wiki here to understand what is the name or ur version. If is it a Gingerbread u must did the ext part via MiniTool Partition Wizard on ur sd card as ext4. For other android version, i don`t guaranteed.
And after u made a ext partition on ur sd card u can proceed bellow.

II. THE AFTER
*This is the most tricky part for me. And what we must to do:
After the successful root in the previous section, the first u need to do is:
1. Connect the phone through Wi-fi. Log on Google Play store, and find and install the app, named "link2sd". After its done, turn off the Wi-fi connection.
2. Start Link2sd, follow instructions - if all is fine it will do reboot on ur phone.
*If u can`t understand this, find a tutorials how to use Link2sd on the web.
2.2. After the restart, navigate on ur android and start Link2sd again.
3. Now start WI-fi and go in Google Play store, and wait. Wait until u received a huge Google Play services app on ur internal memory.
3.1. Now turn off ur WI-fi, and on ur phone tap Settins->Manage Apps->Google Play services and then uninstall it.
3.2.And it must not appear on ur internal, or even on ur phone, anymore. But u can still use Google play store without problems.
3.3. Now u can turn on ur WI-fi.
4. Now using Link2sd, we need to linked the apps to the sd. On Link2sd menus, use to show apps in internal memory first, and then apps with largest size. This will show the largest apps using internal memory, and we need to move them.
5. So, now tap on the desired app, and then tap on "link to SD card". Probably u will get the window which tell u the process is failed, but don`t worry. Now tap -> previous, and using Link2sd options, find out the section called "Clean up the 2nd partition", tap on and clear it.
Now u must repeat this for every app that u want to link to sd card.
After u finish with all ur desired apps, reboot the phone.
The apps, will still use some part of the internal memory, but a very less than before.
Personally, after i did and all above, i got used internal memory, just about 25MB.,
6. I advice to non check auto link new apps in ur Link2sd Settings. Just after download a new app,check if it can be moved to sd card. If can not, link it to sd as it is described in point 5. above.
7. After all u can move to sd card the our main app Link2sd, just using ->Manage apps->Link2sd->Move to SD.

And as final, after i did my guide, i installed, uninstalled new apps, did many restarts of the phone, and it still to be stable and apps working fine. And Google play services don`t appear anymore, but u can continue use Google Play store to install and use apps.

8. Now u can start to freeze or uninstall apps, using Link2sd at ur own risc.

IV. IN ADDITION
That i did not figure out it is how to and if it`s possible to link the apps cache to the sd card.
----------------------------------
[THE SHORT GUIDE]

I. THE PRE - things u need to do before start the rooting process.

*Make a backup of your Phone, or u can find your firmware ROM here. *
II. THE ROOT
1. Remove the SIM card. -
2. To get new .SBF with fastboot for ur original ROM use the method posted by user @rootdefyxt320 in this tread.
3. Connect ur phone to the the PC via USB.
4. On ur phone tap Settings->Applications->Development->tap "USB debugging mode" and pres OK, also check "Stay awake" is on.
5. Copy .zip file named Update.zip from folder named root_xt320 to ur sd card.
6. Copy the folder named "root_xt320" to the C: of ur PC.
7. On ur Windows PC, start CMD console
8. Using CMD, navigate to root_xt320 foldel
10. On cmd, type - adb reboot-bootloader and wait until ur phone load in fastboot mode.
11. After this, on cmd, type - fastboot boot recovery.img
12. Now, on ur phone screen must appear the menu, which offer u some option. U must navigate up or down, by presing VOl- or VOL+ buttons on the phone.
13. Navigate to "install zip from sdcard" and install it, probably the button for execute will be the POWER button
14.Then u will see menu with "choose zip from sd card". select it and execute by pressing POWER button
15. Navigate to "yes instal update.zip" and execute.
16. Navigate to "Yes - install fix root" and execute.
17. Use back button on ur phone, navigate to "reboot", and execute.

18. Now ur phone is rooted, go to the apps, u must see a new app, named "Superuser".
19. Unplug the phone from USB.
20. Now, in case u r removed ur SIM in the first step, just install it on the Phone.

Now connect ur phone, start via USB.

Now on ur PC, start MiniTool Partition Wizard program. If is it a Gingerbread u must did the ext part via MiniTool Partition Wizard on ur sd card as ext4. For other android version, check on the next in what ext must be formated.
And after u made a ext partition on ur sd card u can proceed bellow.

II. THE AFTER
1. Connect the phone through Wi-fi. Log on Google Play store, and find and install the app, named "link2sd". After its done, turn off the Wi-fi connection.
2. Start Link2sd, follow instructions - if all is fine it will do reboot on ur phone.
2.2. After the restart, navigate on ur android and start Link2sd again.
3. Now start WI-fi and go in Google Play store, and wait. Wait until u received a huge Google Play services app on ur internal memory.
3.1. Now turn off ur WI-fi, and on ur phone tap Settins->Manage Apps->Google Play services and then uninstall it.
3.2.And it must not appear on ur internal, or even on ur phone, anymore. But u can still use Google play store without problems.
3.3. Now u can turn on ur WI-fi.
4. Now using Link2sd, we need to linked the apps to the sd. On Link2sd menus, use to show apps in internal memory first, and then apps with largest size. This will show the largest apps using internal memory, and we need to move them.
5. So, now tap on the desired app, and then tap on "link to SD card". Probably u will get the window which tell u the process is failed, but don`t worry. Now tap -> previous, and using Link2sd options, find out the section called "Clean up the 2nd partition", tap on and clear it.
Now u must repeat this for every app that u want to link to sd card.
After u finish with all ur desired apps, reboot the phone.
The apps, will still use some part of the internal memory, but a very less than before.
Personally, after i did and all above, i got used internal memory, just about 25MB.,
6. After all u can move to sd card the our main app Link2sd, just using ->Manage apps->Link2sd->Move to SD.
Last edited by kpetrov; 23rd May 2015 at 10:32 AM.

23rd May 2015, 09:02 AM |#2  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 158

More
Framaroot doesn't work? Motorola Defy Mini is in the Supported devices list.
23rd May 2015, 10:34 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtester80

Framaroot doesn't work? Motorola Defy Mini is in the Supported devices list.

I don`t know, i don`t tested that. I rooted my phone sucefully and aps and phone still working without problem. So don`t need to use other methods atm
27th June 2015, 05:45 PM |#4  

More
can't move apps: what i did wrong?
hi!
this is a very nice tutorial, thank you. i done root as you described, but something went south.

root is ok, superuser apk is at its place, but i can't get rid of old apps.
when i use link2sd, i keep getting errors. tried several options of creating partition on sd card, ext4, fat32, no good. i tried to use app master, that was working nicely on my prestigio pap4044duo. app master is working fine, system is notifying about root access granted, everything cool but one small thing. after the process of moving system app (i.e. facebook or office) is finished, and app master shows no errors, that dear system app is still there like nothing happened.
any ideas?
tnx
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)