Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 54,185 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

KitKat impressions

Tip us?

spalnndsstest
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default KitKat impressions

Hi,

I am new posting in the forum, i am a defy usser too of course, i bought my defy to another user time ago with CM7
and until now i did not updated as i was a bit scary,
i updated reading the guide and success in first attempt on eerything,

such a difference from 2.3! finnally the scroll works quite smooth between screen, i gues its something already pressent since 4.1 with project butter and so on,
however i must say

1) look like its a bit slower, it reacts a tiny litle bit laggy is show some menus, is not just instant response sometimes, but nothing to really complain a lot it work quite well, Quarx is making such a big effort and time investing in keep our Defy's alive that i just need to mention it and say lottt of hanks,

2) I bought a Jiayu G2F for my mother (it works damn quick) and it found they added an option to record the radio sound, and i was expecting to find such options also available in 4.4 but i did not, its there any way to record radio sound or maybe add this option to future versions?

3) I was a bit scared to update to 4.4 due the fact that usually new O.S. ask for heavy resources, but after read that 4.4 was supossedly more optimized for low hardware, then i tought it should maybe even take less ram than andoird 2.3, and now that i have it installed i see it takes quite a lot, its over 4XX mb with almost nothing opened, is that normal?

4) What about the option to select in the screen the zone you want the camera to focus? i found its pressent in the G2F mentioned above, and i dont find it in the 4.4, is the hability to focus determined zones of the camera something just possible in case that the camera hardware allow it? or its a software related function?

5) I installed kitkat with minimal gapps, and once verything working i installed google voice, but i still don't success to add the microfon in the keyboard in order to write anywere while talking,
well, in fact i did, as when i press "," keyabord it appears a pop up menu with the microfon but it just dont work when i select it that way
in cm7 i remember to have a dedicated button that always worked andi miss it, maybe some one can help me there

6) If i have the config menu opened and then i open the top bar slide down menu and i change some option from there, like enable bluetooth, i close the slide menu and i see in the config menu that the button is still "off"
i must close and open again the config menu in order to see it "on" if i enable it from the other menu,
could be nice to make it auto to update so everything takes works and updates at same time and avoide confusions,

thanks

spalnndsstest
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
While trying to check all the new options i see, i just found a bug in the stock launcher,
looks like its called Trebuchet,

If you open the launcher options and lick in the 3 dots over "Widgets" you get some extra options to play with
if you select "CM HOME" in the 2 option, the launcher will enter in the loop hope of errors and will not allow you to come back,
you must go to applications and search for "Trebuchet" and then press "remove data" of this application,
it will come to alive again,

can anyone confirm this bug? i did not find it in the bug list and i am not allowed to post in the developers forum yet

hotdog125
Old
Thanks Meter 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalnndsstest View Post
While trying to check all the new options i see, i just found a bug in the stock launcher,
looks like its called Trebuchet,

If you open the launcher options and lick in the 3 dots over "Widgets" you get some extra options to play with
if you select "CM HOME" in the 2 option, the launcher will enter in the loop hope of errors and will not allow you to come back,
you must go to applications and search for "Trebuchet" and then press "remove data" of this application,
it will come to alive again,

can anyone confirm this bug? i did not find it in the bug list and i am not allowed to post in the developers forum yet
It was confirmed a week back, but not yet added to the buglist.
If you need help, please post in the Q&A section of the appropriate forum. Search before asking

Defy+ MB526

spalnndsstest
Old
(Last edited by spalnndsstest; 4th August 2014 at 05:46 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
how its possible android or cyanogenmode still got lack of a feature to record calls by default?

the new options menu to touch camera settings is something related to 4.4 or to CM11 ? its so unconfortable as you can't go back to change other options, it force you to re open it again, its minimallist and compact, but no sense to have such minimalist menu for an option that always end up removed to make the foto,

i also feel the battery drains quicker with 4.4 that with 2.3

mibas
Old
(Last edited by mibas; 5th August 2014 at 08:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
In my opinion the CM7.2 is the most stable ROM for Defy, the CM1x are still under development

spalnndsstest
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
yes it was working more quick everything,

not smooth, was jerky but at least moved over menus and open applications quite a bit more quick,

thats sad, i expected better performance in newer versions,

overall... there is not any way to make the defy run as it should, it more powerfull than my old celeron 500 mhz and is not yet enough for move android... i guess theproblem is the software, like always, if anroid were programed in ASM, everything would fly... no need for quad cores, octa cores and so on...

mibas
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm not sure that newer version could be faster. Newer version have more and more functions, more advanced GUI, more features - but CPU/GPU/memory remains this same, old one..