Omni Rom vs EOS which one is more "complete"

• Thread starter Deleted member 5944781
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 5944781

I currently have the OmniRom 4.4.4 insalled on my Xoom Wingray device. I poked around and saw the EOS Rom. I'm really torn if I want to go and re-wipe and rebuild my device on the EOS rom. What's the pros and cons of each rom based on opinions of the users running each one. Please no flames or fanboys, just honest things you like about your particular Rom.

Masx

Jun 28, 2010
I currently have the OmniRom 4.4.4 insalled on my Xoom Wingray device. I poked around and saw the EOS Rom. I'm really torn if I want to go and re-wipe and rebuild my device on the EOS rom. What's the pros and cons of each rom based on opinions of the users running each one. Please no flames or fanboys, just honest things you like about your particular Rom.

This whole section seems to be lacking people who are willing to or have experience with each releases. But what are your thoughts on Omnirom? Why did you choose that over CM 11 and now looking at EOS. Trying to get as much info as possible before i consider flashing this old tablet and squeezing more life out of it

D

Deleted member 5944781

I chose the Omnirom because it was the first I heard about. I wanted android 4.4.2 and it seemed all google searches pointed to Omni. Now after running it for a week or two I deal with bugs that I don't want to fight with forever. Volume control doesn't work, random chrome crashes and now tablet reboots. I tried to reach teamomni but no luck. And EOS has built and published nightlies more recently than omni. I know I'm pushing this tab!et beyond its years. I figure this is the end of the road for this device, so I want to squeeze every ounce out of it. I can't thank both teams enough for their work. It's more than I would be capable of ever doing.

reficurg

Dec 16, 2013
I chose the Omnirom because it was the first I heard about. I wanted android 4.4.2 and it seemed all google searches pointed to Omni. Now after running it for a week or two I deal with bugs that I don't want to fight with forever. Volume control doesn't work, random chrome crashes and now tablet reboots. I tried to reach teamomni but no luck. And EOS has built and published nightlies more recently than omni. I know I'm pushing this tab!et beyond its years. I figure this is the end of the road for this device, so I want to squeeze every ounce out of it. I can't thank both teams enough for their work. It's more than I would be capable of ever doing.

This is what I'm doing as well. Hadn't used the Xoom in forever but figured I'd try to squeeze more life out of it at this point until Nexus 8 or 9 (whichever it's called) comes out. I was running Omni and kept getting "bug reports", so I've switched to EOS due to the fact that they are more actively publishing updates to the ROM.

Only been on EOS for a day or so, but so far so good. With No-frills CPU control installed the Xoom seems to be running fine with no bugs to report. Settings in no-frills:

CPU Max: 1.504 GHz
Min: 456 MHz
Gov: ondemand
i/o scheduler: row

D

Deleted member 5944781

I just want to restate that I value the time and effort of ALL of these developers who graciously give up hours of labor to do this work. I would hope no one is offended by any of my previous statements of issues.

fricklr

Apr 11, 2012
Berlin
Omni vs TeamEOS

At first I've installed Omni. I was very happy with it. But after some time I've got performance problems. Also Chrome was freezing many times while browsing around.

So I decided to switch to TeamEOS. I was a fan from EOS since the early days. They kept my Xoom alive. But unfortunenatly I got the same problems on TeamEOS with Chrome. It kept freezing.

Read http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738705 if you have the same problem.

At last I am also happy with TeamEOS and it's difficult to say which ROM is better. There are some differences in the preferences and Omni ROM seems to be a bit ahead but at last I'm ok with was TeamEOS offers.

runandhide05

Apr 3, 2011
At first I've installed Omni. I was very happy with it. But after some time I've got performance problems. Also Chrome was freezing many times while browsing around.

So I decided to switch to TeamEOS. I was a fan from EOS since the early days. They kept my Xoom alive. But unfortunenatly I got the same problems on TeamEOS with Chrome. It kept freezing.

Read http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738705 if you have the same problem.

At last I am also happy with TeamEOS and it's difficult to say which ROM is better. There are some differences in the preferences and Omni ROM seems to be a bit ahead but at last I'm ok with was TeamEOS offers.

The chrome issue boils down to a tegra video driver. It's closed source and has not been updated since the last official release which I believe was 4.1.2
This issue effects many things video related some of it you may see most of it you'll never notice. Since its a closed source driver it's likely to be and issue we will just have to deal with

sent from space

Reactions: brewer75
D

Deleted member 5944781

The chrome issue boils down to a tegra video driver. It's closed source and has not been updated since the last official release which I believe was 4.1.2
This issue effects many things video related some of it you may see most of it you'll never notice. Since its a closed source driver it's likely to be and issue we will just have to deal with

sent from space

I have switched to the Team EOS rom and have been happy with it, I have had the dreaded Sleep of Death bug that many users of the EOS rom have described and I do see the same Chrome crashes that I did on Omni. Now I've switched to Firefox and I don't have the issues.

Oddly I had none of these chrome issues on stock, and the only reason I upgraded from stock was to get Chromecast screen casting working from my tablet so I could use some of my apps on my TV.

Live and learn I suppose.

fricklr

Apr 11, 2012
Berlin
After some days of using TeamEOS... The battery usage seems to be much more better!

On the other side TeamEOS freezes from time to time. Only a reset helps.

But hey, there's KK on my Xoom :)

vsqz44

Sep 30, 2014
I have switched to the Team EOS rom and have been happy with it, I have had the dreaded Sleep of Death bug that many users of the EOS rom have described and I do see the same Chrome crashes that I did on Omni. Now I've switched to Firefox and I don't have the issues.

Oddly I had none of these chrome issues on stock, and the only reason I upgraded from stock was to get Chromecast screen casting working from my tablet so I could use some of my apps on my TV.

Are you able to cast screen with chromecast ?
I have de Omni 4.4.4 on my xoom and the cast screen do not work, even with mirror enabler app.

runandhide05

Apr 3, 2011
Xoom won't be able to, doesn't matter which Rom, it's hardware level, even if I add all the required files to the make file and enable it as soon as you try it reboots. It's the same issue with screenrecord

sent from space

brewer75

Feb 15, 2013
Pickerington
Nexus 7
Motorola Xoom

I've used each of the Kit Kat builds and I finally settled on TeamEOS. This ROM had the most updates and continued to have development after nightlies stopped for Omni and CM. I believe each of these ROM's are really great and each have given new life to our tired Xoom's. The only way you can really tell which ROM is best is to try them and see which you like the most. Hopefully, someday we'll be asking the same questions about which Lollipop version is best, or that may just be wishful thinking. TeamEOS is baked already OC'd to 1400 and you can tweak it higher if you want (I use 1600). I've downloaded Trickster MOD from Google Play and I use it to control governor and other settings. As far any SOD's, I believe you can really minimize the concern if you use Trickster MOD and adjust your CPU min to at least 312 or higher. I had an occasional problem with Chrome so I switched to Chrome Beta and it seems to cause less problems. Some folks will have problems while others seem to get by OK. The stock browser is still pretty decent and gives good performance. I also have the Dolphin Browser but don't tend to use it very much.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

After some days of using TeamEOS... The battery usage seems to be much more better!

On the other side TeamEOS freezes from time to time. Only a reset helps.

But hey, there's KK on my Xoom :)

Try downloading Trickster MOD from Google Play and using it to set your cpu min to at least 312 or higher. This may help with freezes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

sent from space