Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,702 Members 44,968 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: What will do with your N10?
Keep it 45 81.82%
Give it so someone, as I have other 10" tablets 1 1.82%
Switch to Sony Xperia Tablet Z/Z2 1 1.82%
Switch to Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1/12.0 0 0%
Switch to Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 2 3.64%
Switch to LG G Pad 10.1 0 0%
Switch to Microsoft Surface (RT or Pro) 1 1.82%
Switch to iPad (either model) 0 0%
Switch to a smaller display size entirely 3 5.45%
Other (please comment below) 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

What will you do when Google drops the N10?

Tip us?

Fatal1ty_18_RUS
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 436
Lightbulb What will you do when Google drops the N10?

Hi everyone. As you know, Android 4.4.4 has just came out, and it's already available on the developers.google.com, and with I/O taking place in just 5 days - the excitement for the future of Android is beyond imagination.

But, this tablet came out 1.5 years ago, and seeing how many updates were already released for N10 starting from 4.2 up 'till 4.4.4 - I'm concerned about one thing: is this the last official update this device will receive? But even if we'll get 4.5/5.0, the support of this tablet will end sooner or later, as the developer community will fade away one day.

So, when the dark hour comes - what will YOU do with your Nexus 10?

I'm having the not-so-great times with mine as the perfomance is slightly disappointing, especially the lack of RAM (only 1GB) and the lack of 3G/LTE capabilities (and having to tether it to my phone isn't always reliable, due to coverage and the battery drain coming from the Hotspot being turned on most of the time, as well as having two devices slowly eating away my data cap (with both devices having autosync on and the N10 being my main connectivity device when I'm not at home, mainly at university),

So, personally, I'm looking for alternatives... and there's quite honestly not so many of them out there :/

But enough about me, what's your call on this matter?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatal1ty_18_RUS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alek7
Old
Thanks Meter 149
I will keep it and install a custom ROM - long life to AOSP
Or maybe will buy Xiaomi MiPad

I think we will receive two major updates, and that will be the same for Nexus 4.
My works for my Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000

If you like my work or if I helped you, just click THANKS button
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alek7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sfobrien
Old
Thanks Meter 282
Still a great Tablet in my opinion. I'm planning on keeping it for sometime to come and will always run latest available ROM.
Steve

robrob777
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Ill keep it until it dies. then if there is no new N10, I'll switch to something with HDMI out, probably the Surface 3 RT when it comes out.
Nexus 4 Stock.
Nexus 10 Stock.

XxLordxX
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,037

DONATE TO ME
Hi,

I'll be keeping it, sure it'll take longer to arrive unnoficial updates, but as long as I receive it I'll be glad. It's still a pretty good device, I guess I'd change it only in 2 more years, and it'll probably be either a new Nexus or a Sony tablet.

~Lord

3DSammy
Old
Thanks Meter 310
My target from when I bought the N10 was to keep it for three years (clock started Mar 2013). I'm hoping my next purchase would have specs such as 64bit processor, 4GB memory, screen size and resolution no less than the N10. I definitely expect a screen color/Gama control app. As media consumption is my primary usage the best color reproduction is essential. The N10 can already handle the highest bit rate video in my collection I'd expect no less but that is not a stretch. I'd also prefer a Qualcomm processor but I'm flexible on that score.

The N10 has been a pleasant surprise in how much I use it. I couldn't have predicted the amount of my media consumption has moved from my PC to the N10. It's been a real eye opener.

Of the current crop of tablets the only one to catch my eye is Samsung's Tab S 10.5, except of course for Knox's ability to detect rooting and the resulting voiding the warranty. That's why both my phone and tablet are Nexus devices. Consumers need to be empowered as we are purchasing not renting despite what some companies think. Maybe the roomered Google's Silver program can provide that option. Knowing me I'll not be able resist rooting after the hardware checks out despite the risk.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
Google Nexus 5 & 10: [4.4.4] rooted Stock, Franco kernel (on N5, on N10), TWRP, Xposed, GravityBox, SuperSU Pro and ViPER4Android Audio Effects FX

striker59
Old
Thanks Meter 13
It will be custom ROM time. I used my Viewsonic gtablet with custom Roms till I purchased my Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Free mobile app

romdroid.
Old
Thanks Meter 194
The Nexus 10 have 2gb ram and not 1?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Samsung Galaxy Note II 4G - Stock JB rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to romdroid. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fatal1ty_18_RUS
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by romdroid. View Post
The Nexus 10 have 2gb ram and not 1?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
1GB available to the user, 1GB eaten away by the crappy Mali HPU, in the end I'm left with ~800MB free if I'm lucky, most of the time it varies from 700 to 500, which is unbearable

Hurricane Andrew
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Looks like we may have been officially/unofficially retired. No mention of the Nexus 10 in the Android L preview announcement. Looks like it's 4.4.4, which is still fine by me