Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 41,965 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OnePlusOne from a Nexus 10 perspective

Tip us?

nigelhealy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Default OnePlusOne from a Nexus 10 perspective

Hi in this Nexus 10 thread I was asked about the OnePlusOne thoughts.

So posting not a OPO review but how it affects my "relationship" with my Nexus 10.

The Nexus 10 "sucks" now relatively speaking primarily because it suffers from a relatively slow CPU and significantly from only really 1GB of memory.

So I've had to view the Nexus 10 as a "special purpose" device rather than a "general device" and use it in a deliberately complimentary way to the other device.

Until I got the OPO the other device to the Nexus 10 was really the N7 (latest), in that it has fast cpu, sufficient memory. I'd use both tablets side-by-side on a desk or pick up N7 to do something whilst using the N10.

Example problems with the N10 are too many browser tabs open it would reset, or if I'm doing anything much in the background, so I couldn't really do any work like an Office file edit at same time as browsing. So I'd be using my N10 for one-thing-at-a-time like browsing one website, or watching a video and nothing else open.

Given the N10 is the one-thing-at-a-time machine, it places a lot onto the complimentary device in terms of it needing to be a pretty good device by itself.

Hence to the OPO, with a 5.5" screen, fast CPU and lashings of memory 3GB, it is such a complementary device, I can easily have many apps running, all the background apps that each gobble some memory, like Amazon, Ebay, Facebook, XDA app, etc. Whilst the Nexus 10 pretty much only has MX Player, Dolphin (for Flash sites) not even Chrome but I installed CM11-M9 and just use its "browser".
Since the high-spec complementary-to-N10 I moved N10 from stock to CM11-M9 and the random reboots stopped and performance is about the same so only major benefit is more stable.

So in this hybrid OPO+N10 I got the big-screen experience for when I want it, plus stability and performance, across two devices.

I got this complimentary hybrid with N7+N10 also and to a lesser degree N5+N10 but the more you push onto the non-N10 device the more it needs to be bigger screen, so I'd say OPO+N10 are good complements to each other.

FYI I paid $278 for a refurbished N10 in November, and I paid $360 delivered for a new OPO a month ago. My N7 was $160 refurbished and my N5 new $385. Overall, the N7 is the most value, followed by OPO, then N5, then N10. The N10 is only used for a narrow, but long-running tasks like watching a video, I'm usually on MX Player on it.

I have given my N5 and N7 to my wife, they complement each other well in that the smaller the phone screen the more it beckons for a tablet and N7 is a good tablet.

When away from home, the N10 I find is simply not worth removing from the house, it is simply too big and not really that useful, battery life sucks, it is slow to recharge even with the Pogoplug, despite its big screen it is too temperamental. Before OPO I'd leave house with N5+N7. Now I leave just with the OPO, as its got everything in one device, memory, storage (64GB) and speed to handle all the apps concurrently, so in that regard the OPO as a "one plus one" i.e. human plus one device, is correct.

So OPO is flawed, but its cheap and powerful and whatever bugs exist, I've not noticed them, in contrast to the N10 the OPO is much more stable and bug-free.

Any negativ reviews of the OPO, if you look at polls from owners, they show up about 8% have a problem which is major, put that in proportion the relatively happy 90% owners, such as myself.

I bought 3 OPO, one for my son, then my neighbor, then myself, then I helped out the local phone shop staff who helped me on a discounted family plan and an OPO forum member who impressed me with a balanced perspective.

OPO not perfect, its a cheap-support-sucks-from-China phone.

Nexus 10 though is even worse. I can't imagine how sick I'd feel if I'd paid RRP $499+tax+shipping $550 from Google Play for it. It is not even good value at $278 refurbished relative to other devices (vs say $160 N7 refurbished). I won't sell it though as its good to have a silent "laptop" type screen in bed, not far ever from Pogo cable.
Nexus 5 stock 4.4.4 +ElementalX rooted, Nexus 7 2013 stock 4.4.4 +ElementalX rooed, Nexus 10 CM 11 rooted, OnePlusOne stock rooted.
The Following User Says Thank You to nigelhealy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xIsei
Old
(Last edited by xIsei; 25th August 2014 at 12:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Nexus 10 was released in November 2012 - that is 18 months ago - by Moore's law it is obvious that any device on the market will seem relatively slow 18 months after release.

To be fair Nexus 10 16GB model only cost 349$ at release and was a the time the highest resolution screen you could find on a tablet(still is tied highest) - and higher display resolution than almost all laptops on the market, even 1000+$ ones. It seems like a reasonable price - of course they should have cut the price a year after release or so.

I find that the Nexus 10 is still somewhat useful as a laptop replacement - it is much lighter than a laptop you can use an external keyboard for editing code or documents(or just reading books,without external keyboard) on a screen which has sharper and nicer looking text than any laptop in this price class. The battery on my device lasts around 7 hours with constant use - which is more than the average laptop which only lasts 3 hours roughly. (More expensive devices such as ultrabooks last longer, ofc). That being said there are tasks which the Nexus 10 just isn't suited for and agree it must complemented with another device.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xIsei For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nigelhealy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsei View Post
Nexus 10 was released in November 2012 - that is 18 months ago - by Moore's law it is obvious that any device on the market will seem relatively slow 18 months after release.

To be fair Nexus 10 16GB model only cost 349$ at release and was a the time the highest resolution screen you could find on a tablet(still is tied highest) - and higher display resolution than almost all laptops on the market, even 1000+$ ones. It seems like a reasonable price - of course they should have cut the price a year after release or so.

I find that the Nexus 10 is still somewhat useful as a laptop replacement - it is much lighter than a laptop you can use an external keyboard for editing code or documents(or just reading books,without external keyboard) on a screen which has sharper and nicer looking text than any laptop in this price class. The battery on my device lasts around 7 hours with constant use - which is more than the average laptop which only lasts 3 hours roughly. (More expensive devices such as ultrabooks last longer, ofc). That being said there are tasks which the Nexus 10 just isn't suited for and agree it must complemented with another device.
I tried one trip Nexus 10+ other but N10 just not reliable enough. N7 is more reliable. I think its really down to the 1GB memory, its just too little. They should have actually had 2GB not claiming 2GB of which 1GB goes to video.

So that's my problem with N10 as laptop, the reliability problem.

Plus of course if you spent $500 on Wintel, you get globs of specifications like hdd capacities, it somewhat defeats the point of a tablet when it costs the same as a laptop but inferior. My Netbook was getting 7-8 hours, comparable to N10.
Nexus 5 stock 4.4.4 +ElementalX rooted, Nexus 7 2013 stock 4.4.4 +ElementalX rooed, Nexus 10 CM 11 rooted, OnePlusOne stock rooted.

ace9988
Old
Thanks Meter 109
I have to disagree with this review too. Purely on the basis that I don't use my phone at home, not even for phonecalls or texts because it all works off the N10. It's still a very useful and usable device that has kept up in pace with the latest devices coming up. Yes it shows it's slowness a bit when I compare it to a galaxy tab pro but that's the difference two years makes. By no means does it "suck", or even relatively "suck". If you really want to see what actually sucks, try using the original galaxy tab and then see. The N10 plays the content, games, music I want to my smart TV and on the device itself without straining itself.

I don't see the N10 as a laptop replacement either because I use my laptop for playing games, photo editing, CAD modelling because the N10 won't do it to the level of detail I want it to.
------------------
HTC Desire HD, Evo 3D, HTC One X, HP Touchpad, Nexus 7 R.I.P
-- Red 5 --
-- Nexus 10 --
------------------

nigelhealy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace9988 View Post
I have to disagree with this review too. Purely on the basis that I don't use my phone at home, not even for phonecalls or texts because it all works off the N10. It's still a very useful and usable device that has kept up in pace with the latest devices coming up. Yes it shows it's slowness a bit when I compare it to a galaxy tab pro but that's the difference two years makes. By no means does it "suck", or even relatively "suck". If you really want to see what actually sucks, try using the original galaxy tab and then see. The N10 plays the content, games, music I want to my smart TV and on the device itself without straining itself.

I don't see the N10 as a laptop replacement either because I use my laptop for playing games, photo editing, CAD modelling because the N10 won't do it to the level of detail I want it to.

Crashing and rebooting counts as "sucks", and is a factual non-debatable point.

Performance, is debatable and is context specific. I guess you don't have the random reboot issues, which in my case CM11-M9 fixed, but I've still got the performance issue.

The 1GB is I think the problem, not so much the 1GB as memory has to be flushed for apps active to release up prior to loading new, whilst 2GB memory would have less, i.e. the phone is "swapping" (yes I know its not actually paging but you know what I mean).

ace9988
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelhealy View Post
Crashing and rebooting counts as "sucks", and is a factual non-debatable point.

Performance, is debatable and is context specific. I guess you don't have the random reboot issues, which in my case CM11-M9 fixed, but I've still got the performance issue.

The 1GB is I think the problem, not so much the 1GB as memory has to be flushed for apps active to release up prior to loading new, whilst 2GB memory would have less, i.e. the phone is "swapping" (yes I know its not actually paging but you know what I mean).
I think that's ROM specific. I'm using slimkat and I have zero issues, tried liquid smooth before that and still no issues at all.

Also why do you keep quoting 1GB as a problem when the N10 has 2GB memory?
------------------
HTC Desire HD, Evo 3D, HTC One X, HP Touchpad, Nexus 7 R.I.P
-- Red 5 --
-- Nexus 10 --
------------------

nigelhealy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Have you looked at the memory?

sent from my OnePlusOne

nigelhealy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
I think that's ROM specific. I'm using slimkat and I have zero issues, tried liquid smooth before that and still no issues at all.

Also why do you keep quoting 1GB as a problem when the N10 has 2GB memory?
Name:  1409026904443.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  19.0 KB

Look in settings you will see it is a 1GB memory. This from mine. Also for comparison from my OPO. Name:  1409027083499.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  21.4 KB

sent from my OnePlusOne

nigelhealy
Old
(Last edited by nigelhealy; 26th August 2014 at 05:36 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
There is something in stock Android which makes my N10 unreliable.

I have only tried CM11 not tried any other. I also just installed only the apps I uniquely need for my N10. It is for sure more reliable but I don't know exactly the cause or what is different to fix. Could be luck.

Why I picked CM is the OPO came with it and so why not CM for the N10 was the only depth of thinking.

My N7 N4 N5 all rock solid stable no matter what on stock Android.

I might have a dud N10 its camera doesn't work.

sent from my OnePlusOne