OnePlusOne from a Nexus 10 perspective

OP nigelhealy

24th September 2014, 12:07 PM   |  #21  
Flag Vilnius
Thanks Meter: 3

34 posts
More
I bought my N10 back in February. And I did that because there still was no other device that can match it spec/price wise. I don't see it as a laptop replacement. I don't see any tablet as a laptop replacement, even the latest Surface Pro 3 can't essentially replace a laptop, which already replaced my desktop PC. I bought it for reading, movies while travelling (I have a lot of trips in my work) and occasional gaming. From my experience, this tablet is a Monster. It even beats Samsung devices in multitasking when you install XHalo and other appropriate Xposed modules. My only complaint regarding the speed of the device is multi user support. It gets a little laggy when you have another user running in the background (we share this tablet with my GF). But it's primary the software issue, because once the second user logs in, there is no way for him to log out, it's constantly running in the background. The only solution is reboot. Once you do that, the tablet is perfect once again
24th September 2014, 12:14 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 100

259 posts
I've already explained this to you once, but clearly to still do not understand. The 1+1 must also use some of it's 3GB for graphics, it just isn't hard-allocated. So the 1+1 doesn't have 3GB allocated "for apps" any more than the N10 has 1GB "for apps".

You can do "free -h" on both devices, but you aren't comparing like-for-like and repeatedly insisting the N10 actually only has 1GB ram makes you sound like a ****ing moron. Start playing a 3D game or even load a particularly big webpage, and the GPU on your 1+1 will consume the same gig of ram that is pre-allocated to the GPU on the N10.

The only time pre-allocating ram to the GPU is a bad decision is if you are running a task that is not graphics heavy. In such a scenario, you may end up wasting a few hundred MB of ram that could be allocated to the CPU. However, this isn't a huge problem in reality as there aren't many apps that are super CPU/ram heavy whilst being light on GPU. In fact I can't think of any!

And finally as we're getting into a pissing contest, how is single threaded CPU performance on your 1+1? Not as strong as the N10, is it? As as others have said, this is a near 2 year old tablet, built on a 32nm process node! At this point it has no right to match or beat a modern smartphone in ANY measure, and yet it does.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stiggy2012 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th September 2014, 09:34 PM   |  #23  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 187

795 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslelviz

I bought my N10 back in February. And I did that because there still was no other device that can match it spec/price wise. I don't see it as a laptop replacement. I don't see any tablet as a laptop replacement, even the latest Surface Pro 3 can't essentially replace a laptop, which already replaced my desktop PC. I bought it for reading, movies while travelling (I have a lot of trips in my work) and occasional gaming. From my experience, this tablet is a Monster. It even beats Samsung devices in multitasking when you install XHalo and other appropriate Xposed modules. My only complaint regarding the speed of the device is multi user support. It gets a little laggy when you have another user running in the background (we share this tablet with my GF). But it's primary the software issue, because once the second user logs in, there is no way for him to log out, it's constantly running in the background. The only solution is reboot. Once you do that, the tablet is perfect once again

Nodding violently. I got mine a little earlier than you in November so I've had mine about 10-11 months now. I paid $278 and for that price, the speaker and screen size is just a winner. Forward speakers are the way! The HDMI port (special cable, not a Slimport adaptor) means it also good to make up for shortcoming in Chromecast (e.g. my Slingbox is not Chromecast supported so it seems).

What I was saying when I started this thread is that the now (relative) weaknesses of the N10 are complemented, extending the useful life of the N10 by using it more exclusively as a special-purpose device rather than general-purpose. In my spectrum of gadgets mine is my go-to device for Youtube, MX Player, BBC, ITV, Hulu type apps.

However, my N10, regardless of which ROM which just modifies the % of reboots, hard resets itself far more often than my N4, N5, N7 2012, N7 2013, OPO if I try to do too much at once. If I'm to, say, watch Hulu, for it to not reset itself at the end of a commercial break, I need to in advance clear other apps. I can make it crash if I open too many Chrome tabs and then say load Word doc (say WPS app). So long as I keep my expectations low, it is a wonderful device as a 10" cost-effective good display good speaker device.

I tend to get more BBC Iplayer crashes on CM11, I tend to get more Hulu crashes on Thunderkat, both though are more reliable than stock ROM. I've seen the posts about Slimkat but I not yet tried that. Don't want to ROM play too much, as I know the N10's limitation and if I work within them its a great device in context.

When I look around at other 10" tablets I don't see any real benefit worth moving to another 10" tablet for the price.

I mention the OPO because it doesn't have this issue the N10, I can keep firing up many many applications, it ingests them all, no performance no reliability issue. It thus complements the N10 as I am watching the Hulu / BBC prog on the N10 and all my other apps (Facebook, etc) on the OPO, those other apps not particularly benefiting from 10" screen.
30th September 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #24  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bradford
Thanks Meter: 11,269

7,480 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy2012

I've already explained this to you once, but clearly to still do not understand. The 1+1 must also use some of it's 3GB for graphics, it just isn't hard-allocated. So the 1+1 doesn't have 3GB allocated "for apps" any more than the N10 has 1GB "for apps".

You can do "free -h" on both devices, but you aren't comparing like-for-like and repeatedly insisting the N10 actually only has 1GB ram makes you sound like a ****ing moron. Start playing a 3D game or even load a particularly big webpage, and the GPU on your 1+1 will consume the same gig of ram that is pre-allocated to the GPU on the N10.

The only time pre-allocating ram to the GPU is a bad decision is if you are running a task that is not graphics heavy. In such a scenario, you may end up wasting a few hundred MB of ram that could be allocated to the CPU. However, this isn't a huge problem in reality as there aren't many apps that are super CPU/ram heavy whilst being light on GPU. In fact I can't think of any!

And finally as we're getting into a pissing contest, how is single threaded CPU performance on your 1+1? Not as strong as the N10, is it? As as others have said, this is a near 2 year old tablet, built on a 32nm process node! At this point it has no right to match or beat a modern smartphone in ANY measure, and yet it does.

You need to watch your tone.

The Nexus 10 reserves ~900MB for the GPU which is a ridiculous amount considering it's a 2GB device. Saying it's only a 1.1GB device is perfectly fair, because that's all the user has access to. In comparison, the OPO reportedly has 2.8GB available.

On both devices, when you boot a game up, the system RAM will STILL be used for assets. That 900MB on the N10 is NOT available to apps, at all. Games cannot attempt to manually load assets into VRAM. The OS does that as and when.

The reason Samsung had to allocate a crapload more RAM to the GPU is because they did a piss-poor job of designing the device.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread