[Q] USB OTG + pogo charging

Search This thread

SupremeTaco

Jun 30, 2010
I've seen this question pop up a while ago but it doesn't appear to have been solved. Someone mentioned that the KTManta kernal might have solved this but I couldn't find that answered anywhere in that thread (here). I am using the USB OTG cable to control an IR Droid USB transmitter in a permanent kiosk installation and I need the pogo connector to supply power so this can run 24/7.

Any help is much appreciated!

UPDATE:
Wooo!!! Just thought I'd give the kernel a shot and see what happens... it works! I have a separate USB voltage meter that confirms, as well as seeing the battery % increase while being used, and my IR Droid is also working.

Just install the above mentioned kernel, plug in the USB Y OTG cable into tablet, external power supply to the male USB end of Y adapter, and external device (mine being the IR Droid device) to female USB end. Plug second power supply (I used the 2.4a (12w) iPad charger) into pogo connector. Win.

Ktoonsez, your next few beers are on me, good sir!!

Last edited:
Reactions: xIsei and 3DSammy

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
UPDATE: The latest KTManta kernel (04-06-2014) breaks root (SuperSU) with the stock rom. In my case that is v4.4.4 so I've had to revert to my nandroid backup. The issue has been known for a long while but it seems the dev is prioritizing his kernel on other devices. Obviously this means I'll not be testing any time soon.

Interesting, I've wanted this solution for a long time as I use an USB Ethernet adapter from a room with poor WiFi reception. I'll see if it makes any difference if the OTG USB device is attached to a powered USB hub or not and report back.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

SupremeTaco

Jun 30, 2010
UPDATE: The latest KTManta kernel (04-06-2014) breaks root (SuperSU) with the stock rom. In my case that is v4.4.4 so I've had to revert to my nandroid backup. The issue has been known for a long while but it seems the dev is prioritizing his kernel on other devices. Obviously this means I'll not be testing any time soon.

Interesting, I've wanted this solution for a long time as I use an USB Ethernet adapter from a room with poor WiFi reception. I'll see if it makes any difference if the OTG USB device is attached to a powered USB hub or not and report back.

Oh man, I wish I knew about it breaking root before installing!! I was wondering why it was saying I wasn't rooted... Is there a way to fix root while on this kernel?

I'm having some issues with the tablets now that I didn't have before - the most basic seems that it won't boot (won't even start the Google logo) if I have both OTG device and Pogo connected at same time when the tablet is off. I did solder my own right angle tip onto the OTG Y cable though, so I may have messed something up... I'm going to be doing some more testing over the next couple days and I'll keep this up to date.

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
"Is there a way to fix root while on this kernel?"

The root issue with KTManta's latest release is specifically with the stock ROM from what I've read in the N10 KTManta thread. So it would seem that installing a non-stock ROM then installing the KTManta kernel would be the only way to get this kernel and root. I'm unwilling to do that for this single feature. There were comments that root was still working on an older KTManta release which if I can remember is from Dec 2013. I've no idea if that release has the charging features you see with the latest release.

If you go the custom ROM route then read the KTManta thread to find out which custom ROM's are working. Don't quote me but I thought the OMNI ROM was one that worked, please confirm that for yourself.

From my experience stock with the XPosed framework is more stable than any custom ROM and I've tried many.

SupremeTaco

Jun 30, 2010
So there were a few other issues that I found out while testing...

If you have USB plugged in, then reboot, the tablet freezes while trying to boot. It doesn't even get to the loading screen.

It seems a bit buggy as to when it wants to work and when it doesn't, and all the while the tablet says that it's charging so it is hard to test, but I was using a USB volt meter to see if the pogo was actually taking power or not.

Reactions: xIsei

SupremeTaco

Jun 30, 2010
The next thing I want to test is using a powered USB hub, instead of a Y cable. Has anybody done this successfully? Does it need the modified kernel? Does it ACTUALLY charge, or just say that it is?

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
The next thing I want to test is using a powered USB hub, instead of a Y cable. Has anybody done this successfully? Does it need the modified kernel? Does it ACTUALLY charge, or just say that it is?

I use a powered hub to access an Ethernet adapter while concurrently having the pogo plug attached. The result is that the tablet drains slower as the Ethernet adapter is drawing power from USB Hub rather than the tablet. The tablet does not get charged in anyway despite the false charging icon indicator. This is why your post was so interesting to me until I discovered that root was lost. I can live the charging and OTG limitations but I can't loose root.

xIsei

Nov 20, 2013
I tried this the same way as SupremeTaco described.

My nexus 10 runs the latest Omnirom 4.4.4 with latest KTManta kernel.

I plugged in the OTG Y Cable, which was connected to a charger and a usb SD-card reader. Then I plugged in the Pogo charger and to my surprise, the Nexus 10 charges :) yay! (I saw the battery percentage increase as I was using device with screen on)

SupremeTaco thank you for this great tip, I have been looking for a solution for a long time. I can now charge my Nexus 10 16GB while using a Meenova reader with 64GB microSD card - which is extremely useful :good: :good:

Reactions: 3DSammy

SupremeTaco

Jun 30, 2010

I plugged in the OTG Y Cable, which was connected to a charger and a usb SD-card reader. Then I plugged in the Pogo charger and to my surprise, the Nexus 10 charges :) yay! (I saw the battery percentage increase as I was using device with screen on)

SupremeTaco thank you for this great tip, I have been looking for a solution for a long time. I can now charge my Nexus 10 16GB while using a Meenova reader with 64GB microSD card - which is extremely useful :good: :good:

I'm glad it helped! But be careful as you may have issues booting with the USB plugged in. Let me know if this does happen to you... it may just be the version of the kernel I was using but I gave up and am looking for another solution at this point, since I must leave the USB plugged in 24/7 :(

xIsei

Nov 20, 2013
I'm glad it helped! But be careful as you may have issues booting with the USB plugged in. Let me know if this does happen to you... it may just be the version of the kernel I was using but I gave up and am looking for another solution at this point, since I must leave the USB plugged in 24/7 :(
Sorry for the slow response,
I did some testing with both KTManta kernel and the stock Omnirom kernel and indeed booting with USB plugged in does not work. The culprit seems to be the OTG Y-Cable and specifically the power supply part. If you disconnect power from the Y cable but leave everything else plugged into the tablet, the tablet will boot. Perhaps you could have a power switch for the Y-cable and switch it off only when booting?

Also, I have discovered that Pogo charging with Y-cable also works on stock Omnirom kernel. So it seems that the kernel does not affect the charging capability with this setup in anyway, so we are not limited to using KTManta. However the booting issue does not seem to be a kernel-related problem.

Edit: I also confirmed charging in this way works with franco kernel r16 (so it will probably work with all other franco kernels and any other custom kernel)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen this question pop up a while ago but it doesn't appear to have been solved. Someone mentioned that the KTManta kernal might have solved this but I couldn't find that answered anywhere in that thread (here). I am using the USB OTG cable to control an IR Droid USB transmitter in a permanent kiosk installation and I need the pogo connector to supply power so this can run 24/7.

Any help is much appreciated!

UPDATE:
    Wooo!!! Just thought I'd give the kernel a shot and see what happens... it works! I have a separate USB voltage meter that confirms, as well as seeing the battery % increase while being used, and my IR Droid is also working.

Just install the above mentioned kernel, plug in the USB Y OTG cable into tablet, external power supply to the male USB end of Y adapter, and external device (mine being the IR Droid device) to female USB end. Plug second power supply (I used the 2.4a (12w) iPad charger) into pogo connector. Win.

Ktoonsez, your next few beers are on me, good sir!!
    So there were a few other issues that I found out while testing...

If you have USB plugged in, then reboot, the tablet freezes while trying to boot. It doesn't even get to the loading screen.

It seems a bit buggy as to when it wants to work and when it doesn't, and all the while the tablet says that it's charging so it is hard to test, but I was using a USB volt meter to see if the pogo was actually taking power or not.