15th August 2013, 11:31 AM   |  #142  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 56

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccab

Is noone here having this issue?

https://productforums.google.com/for...UNmFk/overview

Interesting - I've noticed the battery level seems to drop more quickly over the time I've been using wireless charging, but this coincides with a few other changes (shifting from 4.2.2 with custom firmware and kernel to stock 4.3) so I hadn't partic put it down to anything sinister - hadn't gone looking at wakelocks. Unhelpfully I had a play with cm10.2 last night so wiped my battery stats / wakelock history etc but I'll have a look at this over the next bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to thesoupthief For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th August 2013, 11:48 AM   |  #143  
Thanks Meter: 44

320 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thfreedumb

i'd move it around to find a better sweet spot and i'm usually running around 36c. I remember reading that under 48c seems to be okay (nexus 4 will throttle above 48c) and the phone with shut off at 60? I'm not positive and feel free to correct me as i'd like to have correct information myself.

By all accounts heat is bad for lithium polymer batteries and the stress of elevated temperatures WILL reduce the service life of the battery to some extent. But in the real world it's a trade off between convenience and what we can't change about LG's design of the phone. Plenty of advice here and talk of trade-offs:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

and

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._without_wires

I seem recall some press about LG's design/spec of the N4 battery to increase longevity at elevated temperatures, but can't find it now.

At the end of the day, if you still have your phone when the battery capacity falls to unacceptable levels and whenever that is, changing the battery in an N4 would seem to be one of easier pieces of surgery that can be performed on it. So expect to DIY or for it not to be too pricey to get someone else to do it for you...
Last edited by WibblyW; 15th August 2013 at 11:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WibblyW For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2013, 10:08 AM   |  #144  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 56

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccab

Is noone here having this issue?

https://productforums.google.com/for...UNmFk/overview

Few things:
1. Re: ccab's point above.
Based on one night's experience, I haven't been able to repoduce that "not going into deep sleep after wireless charging" problem, with a good chunk of deep sleep over the past couple of hours, however within those couple of hours there has been about 10 minutes of a kernel wakelock that sounds suspitious - "PowerManagerService.Wakelocks". Also "msm_hsic_host", but I understand that's not specific to wireless charging - can be fixed by reverting to an earlier radio apparently but I'll hold fire before meddling. I'll keep a weather eye on both. (Nexus 4, Stock 4.3 Rom - sideloaded JWR66V - and stock kernel with that, rooted; checked this with Better Battery Stats).

2. Re: Battery temperature while on wireless charging.
Mine wavered between 26 and 40 degrees C (briefly getting to 40, but spending most of the time in the low 30s) last night while charging from 12% to 100%. Once it reached 100% (around 2am) it hovered at 100% til I took it off the charger at 7am, with charge kicking in and switching off every now and then - every 20 mins or so? During this time the temperature was fairly stable between 25 and 31 degrees. The charger was fairly cool to the touch this morning. (Checked these temperatures with Battery Logger).

Forgot to thank WibblyW for that Battery University link the other week - v informative
Back to point 1. - Just checked Wakelocks again - that PowerManagerService.Wakelocks thingy is ongoing and has prevented deep sleep for the past while. Odd that it didn't kick in for the first few hours of the phone being off power. Will add an edit to this post later if it ceases and allows deep sleep again.

EDIT - yeah, so a few hours later I've checked and found that the phone had begun deep sleep subsequently - currently PowerManagerService.WakeLocks have been active for 15.8% of the time since taking the phone off charge this morning. Not a critical problem, but not ideal either if it's not serving a useful purpose
Last edited by thesoupthief; 16th August 2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: More info
The Following User Says Thank You to thesoupthief For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2013, 01:34 PM   |  #145  
Thanks Meter: 45

302 posts
More
I am already waiting to get my charger, they shipped on 31 July.
People that ordered same days received it yet? (Europe)

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk 4
21st August 2013, 05:24 PM   |  #146  
Flag Kaufbeuren
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
More
Got mine end of last week... germany!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 4 Beta
21st August 2013, 06:43 PM   |  #147  
Thanks Meter: 68

363 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beren

I am already waiting to get my charger, they shipped on 31 July.
People that ordered same days received it yet? (Europe)

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk 4

I ordered mine then too, and still waiting..
21st August 2013, 07:15 PM   |  #148  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 24

254 posts
More
What is everyones charge rate? My office is in a pretty weak signal area but this seems slow...

I have the galaxy note 2 samsung charger (5v, 2a) and a 6 foot micro usb cable from monoprice (the slim version). My charge rate seems to never go above 400mA. I expected the charger to get at least 650mA. I am using battery monitor widget to get my data. I tend to place the phone on the lower 2/3 of the nexus 4 (i believe the induction coils are there?)

Any idea on how to improve the charge rate? Is it better to use a thicker and shorter micro usb cable (overall higher quality)?

I didn't think that this would be limited to usb speeds (<500mA). I enabled the fast charge with franco kernel and will see if this makes a difference in the long run. not much yet...
21st August 2013, 08:25 PM   |  #149  
Thanks Meter: 4

68 posts
Ordered mine 31 Jul, shipped 2 Aug, arrived 18 Aug (UK). I paid for insurance but not tracking and got a tracking number anyway. Not that it was much use, it just says "In Transit" then the package suddenly turns up weeks later.

The QI charger works perfectly with an HP Touchpad mains adaptor but I also ordered these http://www.ahappydeal.com/product-38281.html despite saying they are 2a chargers, they DO NOT work.

Very happy with the wireless charger though.
22nd August 2013, 09:03 AM   |  #150  
Flag Canberra
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thfreedumb

What is everyones charge rate? My office is in a pretty weak signal area but this seems slow...

I have the galaxy note 2 samsung charger (5v, 2a) and a 6 foot micro usb cable from monoprice (the slim version). ...

Any idea on how to improve the charge rate? Is it better to use a thicker and shorter micro usb cable (overall higher quality)?

I'd start with a shorter, thicker USB cable. 6 ft is a very long usb cable. If you need your charger a long way from where a power outlet is, get a mains power extension cord, not a longer usb cable, and plug the charger into that closer to where you are.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
metrans, qi charger, wireless charger
Previous Thread Next Thread