XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

DYI Qi Car Dock [ideas/thoughts/wish-list]

Tip us?

Fmstrat
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippieschuh View Post
Im actually working on a DIY car charger for quite a bit.
Great! Now I know power will work fine. My car is built with an ashtray up front which I currently have a 7" LCD in with a simple metal bezel I created: http://nowsci.com/random-bits/201006...0i328i-e90e92/

My plan is to replace that by incorporating the LG charger underneath where the screen is now, and a slightly concave piece of rubberized coating throughout the entire spot the LCD is. This way it will just look like a smooth black surface that's a soft spot for the phone to sit, but will hold it in place via the rubber texture.

Can anyone think of a better way to do that?

Thanks,
Ben

se1000
Old
(Last edited by se1000; 15th December 2012 at 07:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmstrat View Post
Great! Now I know power will work fine. My car is built with an ashtray up front which I currently have a 7" LCD in with a simple metal bezel I created: http://nowsci.com/random-bits/201006...0i328i-e90e92/

My plan is to replace that by incorporating the LG charger underneath where the screen is now, and a slightly concave piece of rubberized coating throughout the entire spot the LCD is. This way it will just look like a smooth black surface that's a soft spot for the phone to sit, but will hold it in place via the rubber texture.

Can anyone think of a better way to do that?

Thanks,
Ben
I might beat you to it. (Same car) I've basically ripped the inductive transmitter coil out of a WCP-700 and put all the important parts inside just the ashtray part of it. Going to then cover the ashtray only with a piece of faux leather. This will leave the 12v receptacle, and the ash tray door in-tact. The little lip around the whole thing works well to hold the smartphone in place and is just large enough for a N4 or SGS3. I may have it all done by tonight!

GAME ON!

lpasq
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Thanks, might have gotten lucky: http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Quality-Ch.../ref=de_a_smtd

30w, 19v (which should be 1.5A) for $12.

Thanks,
Ben
any idea what it would take to instead tap power from a fuse box? understanding need for correct "30w,19v (which should be 1.5A)" regulator circuitry for wcp-700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by se1000 View Post
I might beat you to it. (Same car) I've basically ripped the inductive transmitter coil out of a WCP-700 and put all the important parts inside just the ashtray part of it. Going to then cover the ashtray only with a piece of faux leather. This will leave the 12v receptacle, and the ash tray door in-tact. The little lip around the whole thing works well to hold the smartphone in place and is just large enough for a N4 or SGS3. I may have it all done by tonight!

GAME ON!
maybe someone tearing down a wcp-700 could post pics id'ing internals. it might be obvious to most but could be helpful to some. there are tear-downs related to disabling its speaker but thought pointing out the core charging bits would make a nice thread resource.

se1000
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpasq View Post
maybe someone tearing down a wcp-700 could post pics id'ing internals. it might be obvious to most but could be helpful to some. there are tear-downs related to disabling its speaker but thought pointing out the core charging bits would make a nice thread resource.
It's really not that complicated, once you take it apart, it's just the PCB and coil. The coil is glued to what feels like a ceramic base, which is then glued to the bottom shell. Anyway, got my mod done. Works well with my SGS3 but my N4 doesn't work. I think it's because the coil is offset in the ash tray. Oh well. At least it works with one of my phones.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=35494410
The Following User Says Thank You to se1000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

terracode
Old
(Last edited by terracode; 16th December 2012 at 03:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
I received my transmitter coil today that is Qi compliant. I took apart a Palm touchstone to compare the coils.
The Qi transmitter coil is quite a bit larger than the Touchstone coil. I am going to swap coils but don't expect much since Qi requires a handshake signal between transmitter and receiver. I ordered a Qi receiver sleeve off of eBay to test things with. I wish the Dev kit from TI was cheaper. It has the coil and required electronics for $200.00.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121215_190838.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	1566812  

se1000
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracode View Post
I received my transmitter coil today that is Qi compliant. I took apart a Palm touchstone to compare the coils.
The Qi transmitter coil is quite a bit larger than the Touchstone coil. I am going to swap coils but don't expect much since Qi requires a handshake signal between transmitter and receiver. I ordered a Qi receiver sleeve off of eBay to test things with. I wish the Dev kit from TI was cheaper. It has the coil and required electronics for $200.00.
Cool, what are you going to make out of it or are you just fiddling?

terracode
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1000 View Post
Cool, what are you going to make out of it or are you just fiddling?
If I can get it working I may look into creating a writeup on my website terracode.com so others can benefit. There are many possibilities. Issue is getting the touchstone to power up since it uses a second thin wire to create an electrical potential to provide a start signal to the board using magnets surrounding the wire loop and the palm receiver back magnet. The board then energizes the primary coil of the transmitter. If the Qi protocol is only used to send info to the power transmitter from receiver to start and stop power transmission, turning on the transmitter via a pressure activated switch could be used instead.

iconoclastnet
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I been thinking about giving something like this a try with the nokia charging plate (DT-900). It appears to be one of the few qi chargers that doesn't look like you're setting your phone on top of something the size of tablet (which is probably great for the nightstand, but not so great for turning into a car mount). The nokia is smaller (length and width) than the n4, and the voltage it expects from it's wall wart is already 12V.
I also picked up a generic "universal gps car mount" that looks like it would be easy to attach things to. I still need to find something to actually hold the phone in place, but that should be fairly straight forward.

The real issue at the moment is that the phone does the connected-disconnected-repeat cycle that has the lg pad owners tearing their speakers out (fortunately the nokia charger doesn't have a speaker built in). Since this is happening with multiple different qi charges, hopefully it's something that'll get fixed in a software update. That's assuming that qi isn't just a complete outright face-palm.

Which brings up an interesting question, are we going about this all backwards? Like many others I've been hoping that someone will find a way to stuff the guts of a qi charger into something like the touchstone. (Great work terracode, I'll be keeping an eye out for more on that.) But with the touchstone-esque google charging orb having no indication of being anything more than vaporware, and with Google officially joining the qi-competing PMA (apparently announced the same day they announced the nexus-4), perhaps we're doing this all backwards? If qi isn't the universal wireless charging standard of the near future (and so far I'm not impressed), perhaps the thing to do is replace the qi coil in the phone with a touchstone compatible one (and associated magnets) much like the galaxy nexus mod.

Fmstrat
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclastnet View Post
I been thinking about giving something like this a try with the nokia charging plate (DT-900).
I've been hearing the N4 has issues with the DT-900. Some say positioning, some say weak signal causes cycling. I would look this up first. If it's positioning, it shouldn't be a problem for a custom build.

Thanks,
Ben

terracode
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I've been hearing the N4 has issues with the DT-900. Some say positioning, some say weak signal causes cycling. I would look this up first. If it's positioning, it shouldn't be a problem for a custom build.

Thanks,
Ben
The Qi whitepapers say that there are some things that need to happen prior to Qi transmitter sending power to the receiver. The initial one is the handshake signal. If this is received from the device being charged, the transmitter will power up. In case no reply, the transmitter powers up for 20 seconds (or so) in case the device battery is too weak for the device to reply. If no signal then the Qi transmitter turns off for a period and then polls again. I wonder if this is the on/off that is happening and the issue is in the DT-900 listening for a different reply than what the Qi standard reply is. Just a thought...

Changing out just the coil in the receiver to get Touchstone working is just a theory. Need to wait until my Qi charging sleeve arrives since I don't want to risk my Nexus 4 on this test.