Wireless Display Adapters (Miracast)

10th December 2012, 11:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag West Jordan, UT
Thanks Meter: 61

85 posts
Donate to Me
More
With all of the confusion regarding Miracast adapters (especially the Netgear PTV3000) I thought I'd try to point people in the right direction.
First thing's first, the Netgear PTV3000 does NOT work. It is not certified and has absolutely no connectivity out of the box. It can be flashed
with an experimental firmware to gain crappy functionality but will not work properly until an official update is released.

Edit: The Netgear PTV3000 IS now certified and works great! It's also cheaper than most and is the only stand alone Miracast adapter that can be purchased at Best Buy (or any other offline store for that matter).

So rather than waste your money on a Netgear adapter (like I did) you could buy yourself an Actiontec ScreenBeam which I have confirmed
not only works with the N4 but works great! And if you're not a big fan of Actiontec devices, here is a direct link to the Wi-Fi Alliances list of

Official Miracast Certified Recievers

which are certified (imagine that) to work with the Nexus 4.
Happy screen beaming
Last edited by narcopolypse; 23rd October 2013 at 03:48 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to narcopolypse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th December 2012, 02:06 AM   |  #2  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 56

397 posts
More
Not that I don't believe you, but who/how did you confirm the ActionTec works?

I'm looking for some anecdotal reviews and opinions of it. Thanks.
11th December 2012, 02:29 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 58

368 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcopolypse

With all of the confusion regarding Miracast adapters (especially the Netgear PTV3000) I thought I'd try to point people in the right direction.
First thing's first, the Netgear PTV3000 does NOT work. It is not certified and has absolutely no connectivity out of the box. It can be flashed
with an experimental firmware to gain crappy functionality but will not work properly until an official update is released.
So rather than waste your money on a Netgear adapter (like I did) you could buy yourself an Actiontec ScreenBeam which I have confirmed
not only works with the N4 but works great! And if you're not a big fan of Actiontec devices, here is a direct link to the Wi-Fi Alliances list of

Official Miracast Certified Recievers

which are certified (imagine that) to work with the Nexus 4.
Happy screen beaming

Where did you buy it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
11th December 2012, 02:49 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 259

1,448 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticdarlow

Where did you buy it?

First link on Google:

http://www.amazon.com/ACTIONTEC-SBWD.../dp/B009Z8T3K6

Looks like it's not out yet. So the OP is either 1. speculating based on the certification (from just 9 days ago). Or 2. Has some sort of inside connection to get one before they have even gone up for sale.

Guessing it's 1.
11th December 2012, 03:52 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 40

389 posts
Please post a YouTube video!

---------- Post added at 04:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

Never mind I found one and it looks like the same adapter from far away....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjtS...e_gdata_player

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

Aaaand furthermore if you can wait they are sitting in best buy stores according to their website...
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...=1218382979736
11th December 2012, 07:15 AM   |  #6  
Flag Ashdod
Thanks Meter: 62

146 posts
I bought ACTIONTEC SBWD100KIT01 ScreenBeam, it should be shipped next week, i will post the results with Nexus 4.
11th December 2012, 07:44 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

66 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rican408

Aaaand furthermore if you can wait they are sitting in best buy stores according to their website...
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...=1218382979736

This isn't the same product that's Miracast certified... Looks the same, but different model numbers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
11th December 2012, 01:54 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 40

389 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesoul27

I bought ACTIONTEC SBWD100KIT01 ScreenBeam, it should be shipped next week, i will post the results with Nexus 4.

Where did you order from?
11th December 2012, 03:49 PM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag West Jordan, UT
Thanks Meter: 61

85 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshmerick

First link on Google:

http://www.amazon.com/ACTIONTEC-SBWD.../dp/B009Z8T3K6

Looks like it's not out yet. So the OP is either 1. speculating based on the certification (from just 9 days ago). Or 2. Has some sort of inside connection to get one before they have even gone up for sale.

Guessing it's 1.

Or 3, they have been up for sale on Amazon for a week now but are currently sold out. (seems par for the course with anything related to the N4) Fortunately a friend of mine got one before they sold out. Tested and confirmed working with his Nexus 4.
And FYI this also comes with a little USB dongle that you can plug into any computer to make it Miracast enabled. We tried it with an AMD computer running a Nvidia GPU and it works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticdarlow

Where did you buy it?

Amazon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to narcopolypse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th December 2012, 04:35 PM   |  #10  
Flag Ashdod
Thanks Meter: 62

146 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rican408

Where did you order from?

Amazon

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by freesoul27; 11th December 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Nexus 4 Accessories by ThreadRank