Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,461 Members 47,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Which case would be better?
Ballistic Shell Case SG 18 56.25%
Ionic Guardian 1 3.13%
Mybat TUFF 8 25.00%
Seidio Active 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Mybat vs. Ballistic vs. Seidio vs. Ionic

Tip us?

deltatux
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 129
Default Mybat vs. Ballistic vs. Seidio vs. Ionic

Hey guys,

Recently I bought this and while it looked great at first, it dawned on me that it doesn't tightly fit my device and the bottom part of my Nexus 4 has slipped out of the case a couple times..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-BLACK-R...item56513a4042

So now I'm hunting for a new case. I've had really good experiences with the Seidio case with my Nexus S, but it's proven to be rather expensive compared to what others have offered. Wouldn't mind going back if it's the only case of this category that is the best fit and protection for the device.

I was looking at the Mybat but was concerned about the actual bulk of the device, and it being easy to remove as I often take off the shell from time to time. Also, no one seemed to comment if the case interferes with headphones with L-shaped plugs either.

The other two contenders are Ballistic and Ionic, heard great things from both but unsure which is better. I did hear that Ionic cases attract lint very easily but I do like its price very much. Not a fan of the bubble-back design though. Heard great things about Ballistic, but like the Seidio case, the cost is making me apprehensive about purchasing one.

Mybat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Nexus-4-E...item2a286793ca

Ionic: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A...A3KQDBCHA3FRT9

Ballistic: http://www.goballisticcase.com/produ...sg-series-case

Seidio: http://www.seidioonline.com/lg-nexus...k3lgn4k-bk.htm

So what do you guys think would be the best?

Cheers,
deltatux
Google Nexus 4 16 GB (E960 R11 304K)
Slim ROM 4.4.4 5.10 (KTU84P)
Slim Kernel 3.6 (3.4.92)

ASUS Nexus 7 16 GB 1st Gen
M-Kernel a69 F2FS (3.1.10)

Jester23
Old
(Last edited by Jester23; 12th February 2013 at 02:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
Hey guys,

Recently I bought this and while it looked great at first, it dawned on me that it doesn't tightly fit my device and the bottom part of my Nexus 4 has slipped out of the case a couple times..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-BLACK-R...item56513a4042

So now I'm hunting for a new case. I've had really good experiences with the Seidio case with my Nexus S, but it's proven to be rather expensive compared to what others have offered. Wouldn't mind going back if it's the only case of this category that is the best fit and protection for the device.

I was looking at the Mybat but was concerned about the actual bulk of the device, and it being easy to remove as I often take off the shell from time to time. Also, no one seemed to comment if the case interferes with headphones with L-shaped plugs either.

The other two contenders are Ballistic and Ionic, heard great things from both but unsure which is better. I did hear that Ionic cases attract lint very easily but I do like its price very much. Not a fan of the bubble-back design though. Heard great things about Ballistic, but like the Seidio case, the cost is making me apprehensive about purchasing one.

Mybat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Nexus-4-E...item2a286793ca

Ionic: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A...A3KQDBCHA3FRT9

Ballistic: http://www.goballisticcase.com/produ...sg-series-case

Seidio: http://www.seidioonline.com/lg-nexus...k3lgn4k-bk.htm

So what do you guys think would be the best?

Cheers,
deltatux
I have the iconic and thought it was too thick, so I ordered the Ballistic one and it's even thicker

I'm tempted to try the ACTIVE but I have spent so much on cases it isn't even funny....

Edit...I just bought it on ebay for $24.99 and free shipping.
Sent from my Nexus 5

dalton8
Old
(Last edited by dalton8; 12th February 2013 at 02:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 15
When i had my gs3 i had a variety of cases including; cheap ebay "tough" cases with kickstands, an otterbox defender (never again), and a ballistic sg. The Ballistic is a GREAT case. It was sturdy, the phone would never pop out, the plastic was nice, and the silicone inner was much better than the plastic inner found on the defender. The silicon not only prevented scratches, but also prevented dust and any other unwanted items in. It almost seals the device. When i bought my nexus 4, i was very dissapointed that there weren't any decent protective cases out. I knew the ballistic sg was coming, but ive had my device since december and needed something for the short term... Something to get so i can wait for the ballistic. I was almost going to buy the case you bought, but i really don't like kickstands. I searched on ebay and found the mybat tough case, I bought it as it met all my requirements; it was cheap, it was protective, it didn't have a kickstand, and it actually looked good. The buyer i bought my case from shipped the case very fast to Australia, (which suprised me, usually these types of cases end up taking about a month) To my suprise, the case was really good quality for the price. The cutouts were (almost) perfect, the fit was pefect, the phone doesn't move about at all. I paid 15 dollars shipped to Australia compared the 70 or 80 odd dollars it would cost me to buy a ballistic shipped. I had the case on for a day, and I loved it...Until I tried to hang up on a phone call... the sensor on the lg is very sensitive, and this case just blocks it enough to stop the screen coming on. This fault was quickly fixed with a drill bit, and since then, i have had no issues, and will continue using this case for the remainder of the phones life. I simply prefer the whole case over the ballistic i had on the s3. However the ballistic was slightly better made, it doesn't warrant even a 15 dollar increase over this case. I love this case. (Note in my pictures the proximity cut out I modified) I did a custom design with sharpie marker on mine and it came out awesome! I wouldn't do this to a more expensive case as id be worried about wrecking it, but since these bad boys are so cheap, who cares. If this broke, i wouldn't think twice at buying another one.

Edit: This case also works with my energizer qi charging mat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130205_215900.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	1722156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130205_220027.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	1722157   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130205_220039.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	1722158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130212_121140.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	1722193  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dalton8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

warfexion
Old
Thanks Meter 92
that back is awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to warfexion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jester23
Old
Thanks Meter 18
FYI the ballistic case works with the LG-WCP700 wireless charging pad. I do however find it is harder to hold on to as it's slippery compared to the Ionic. It's also larger than the Ionic.
Sent from my Nexus 5

threeclaws
Old
Thanks Meter 76
I'd go with Mybat (because it's cheap and looks decent) or the Active (because seidio makes a good product and I like the kickstand.)
Ericsson Bar->Nokia Bar->Handspring Visor + GSM addon->SMT5600->SX66->Jam->Cingular 8125->Treo 750->Iphone 3G->Iphone 3GS->MyTouch 3g->Nexus One->HTC G2->HTC HD2->HTC Sensation

Current Nexus 4

Filth.Injector
Old
Thanks Meter 3
i also love the look of rugged cases.. been using them ever since my first smartphone

currently i am using this armourdilo case that i saw online.. it is available for sale on mobilefun website or i have seen a seller through eBay AUS...
availbale in a varieety of colours as well although i stuck the standard black on black ...
as well as many youtube vdo reviews bout it.. so i decided to buy it.. really good look and feel..

mobilefun . co .uk/armourdillo-hybrid-protective-case-for-google-nexus-4-black-p37764.htm

ebay . com/itm/Black-Nexus-4-LG-E960-Defender-Durable-TPU-Tradesman-Silicone-Case-Cover-Stand-/221179527930

youtube . com/watch?v=kG0gBUikx-g [ vdo review i found on utub :P ]

chk it out..

deltatux
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalton8 View Post
When i had my gs3 i had a variety of cases including; cheap ebay "tough" cases with kickstands, an otterbox defender (never again), and a ballistic sg. The Ballistic is a GREAT case. It was sturdy, the phone would never pop out, the plastic was nice, and the silicone inner was much better than the plastic inner found on the defender. The silicon not only prevented scratches, but also prevented dust and any other unwanted items in. It almost seals the device. When i bought my nexus 4, i was very dissapointed that there weren't any decent protective cases out. I knew the ballistic sg was coming, but ive had my device since december and needed something for the short term... Something to get so i can wait for the ballistic. I was almost going to buy the case you bought, but i really don't like kickstands. I searched on ebay and found the mybat tough case, I bought it as it met all my requirements; it was cheap, it was protective, it didn't have a kickstand, and it actually looked good. The buyer i bought my case from shipped the case very fast to Australia, (which suprised me, usually these types of cases end up taking about a month) To my suprise, the case was really good quality for the price. The cutouts were (almost) perfect, the fit was pefect, the phone doesn't move about at all. I paid 15 dollars shipped to Australia compared the 70 or 80 odd dollars it would cost me to buy a ballistic shipped. I had the case on for a day, and I loved it...Until I tried to hang up on a phone call... the sensor on the lg is very sensitive, and this case just blocks it enough to stop the screen coming on. This fault was quickly fixed with a drill bit, and since then, i have had no issues, and will continue using this case for the remainder of the phones life. I simply prefer the whole case over the ballistic i had on the s3. However the ballistic was slightly better made, it doesn't warrant even a 15 dollar increase over this case. I love this case. (Note in my pictures the proximity cut out I modified) I did a custom design with sharpie marker on mine and it came out awesome! I wouldn't do this to a more expensive case as id be worried about wrecking it, but since these bad boys are so cheap, who cares. If this broke, i wouldn't think twice at buying another one.

Edit: This case also works with my energizer qi charging mat.
How easy is it to remove the case once installed? Plus does it interfere with L-shaped headphone jacks?

deltatux
Google Nexus 4 16 GB (E960 R11 304K)
Slim Kernel 3.6 (3.4.92)

ASUS Nexus 7 16 GB 1st Gen
M-Kernel a69 F2FS (3.1.10)

neotekz
Old
Thanks Meter 156
none of those, i vote for this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/160952016421...84.m1497.l2649

noxlord
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotekz View Post
It's made by the same oem as the mybat cases.

Tags
ballistic, ionic, mybatt, nexus, seidio