N4 LG charger and USB cable

OP dinosaur1

11th February 2013, 04:45 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 79

185 posts
More
Hi guys, I have a few micro USB chargers lying around. Just wondering if using these would harm my N4:

12 V, 500mA
5 V, 2.1 A
5 V, 1.9 A
5 V, 1 A

The 12 V 500mA charger makes my phone's screen go haywire (applications opening and closing by themselves) but it does charge the phone.
11th February 2013, 05:34 PM   |  #12  
Somewhere in between
Thanks Meter: 446

1,407 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetubespam

Hmm... for me, I changed the wires and it works. I think I would rather just save the $10 and put it towards the "wheneveritisreleased" Wireless Charging Orb.....or the TYLT VU when it comes out in April.

at least you narrowed it down fast to the wire. in my case after swapping just the wires it was still the same. then when i used the original n4 charger on my gnex, my gnex suddenly had the ac/usb charging issue. my problem with not getting another charger was i sometimes charge both phones at the same time so i needed one more. good thing a couple of searches led me to the buychina site and now all works well.
11th February 2013, 06:33 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 8

21 posts
I am very interested in this topic as I believe I'm going to need a new USB > MicroUSB cable. My cat accidentally knocked off my N4 while it was charging using the original cable/charger. While it seems the charger itself is okay, the cable is what I am worried about. The end seems slightly bent and, while it will plug into the N4 (which will report charging) it doesn't go as "easily". From visual inspection I think the problem is with the cable's microUSB end; I really hope that the N4's socket itself is not bent/damaged in anyway, but I cannot see any visual signs thereof.

I was really hoping to pick up another OEM charging kit, but it appears that (assuming they are legit ) that one can only find them on Taobao/ChinaBuy as linked above? I was hoping Amazon would have them. With this in mind, will there be anything specific to look for finding another "USB to MicroUSB cable" from Amazon to use with the existing, undamaged OEM charger? Thanks.
11th February 2013, 06:39 PM   |  #14  
Somewhere in between

1,407 posts
Re: N4 LG charger and USB cable
I'm no expert but I believe there shouldn't be any issue of you get a different cable. I've used an HTC, Samsung and Asus calls with the LG charger and there aren't any issues. If it's just the cable you need, go with Amazon. It'll be faster

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
11th February 2013, 06:50 PM   |  #15  

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephantom

I'm no expert but I believe there shouldn't be any issue of you get a different cable. I've used an HTC, Samsung and Asus calls with the LG charger and there aren't any issues. If it's just the cable you need, go with Amazon. It'll be faster

Great, thanks. It seems logical that all "USB A > MicroUSB B" cables should be capable of the same thing, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something that would say, impair my ability to use this cable for not only charging with the OEM wall charger, but charging from my PC's USB ports, connecting to said PC via USB Debugging for rooting/flashing etc...
12th February 2013, 04:17 AM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

108 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephantom

Call me crazy/oc/weird but I bought this: http://www.buychina.com/items/lg-f10...er-qrwrvpsqjhm

I'm perfectly aware I can use other chargers and cables but I like to have an oem extra if I need it. 10usd and 2 weeks wait isn't so bad

Thanks! How did you find this site?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
12th February 2013, 04:21 AM   |  #17  
Somewhere in between

1,407 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1

Thanks! How did you find this site?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Oh just by looking at different cases and then someone from xda mentioned that site. Did some searching and I saw it had the chargers too. Couldn't find it on eBay or Amazon before. Haven't checked lately though

Flowed and Tapped from my Nexus
12th February 2013, 05:05 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 11

51 posts
I am currently using a Trent car charger with a LG OEM micro usb cable, charging at 5V at 1A. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HD44US/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

For travel and and backup, I use a genuine LG Travel Charger with a LG OEM micro USB Cable, which also charges at 5V at 1A. http://www.theaccessoryking.com/lg-a...-platform.html
13th February 2013, 01:34 PM   |  #19  

36 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by innumerabilis

Hi guys, I have a few micro USB chargers lying around. Just wondering if using these would harm my N4:

12 V, 500mA
5 V, 2.1 A
5 V, 1.9 A
5 V, 1 A

The 12 V 500mA charger makes my phone's screen go haywire (applications opening and closing by themselves) but it does charge the phone.

DUDE!!!! The 12V charger can KILL your phone.. The phone is designed for 5volts..

As long as the charger supplies 5 volts it is okay... even a 10 amp charger will work fine (if availiable :P).. The current is controlled by the device (nexus 4 in this case).. It will draw how much current it requires.. Voltage on the other hand is decided by the charger.... 12volts will fry the device...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Techguy18 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2013, 03:34 PM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 79

185 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techguy18

DUDE!!!! The 12V charger can KILL your phone.. The phone is designed for 5volts..

As long as the charger supplies 5 volts it is okay... even a 10 amp charger will work fine (if availiable :P).. The current is controlled by the device (nexus 4 in this case).. It will draw how much current it requires.. Voltage on the other hand is decided by the charger.... 12volts will fry the device...

Oops, thanks for this heads up! I've used the 12V charger for weeks without any noticeable damage (though the screen goes haywire when it is plugged in). I'll switch to the original N4 charger now.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread