Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,782 Members 38,539 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nokia wireless charging works.

Tip us?

joeykache
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I got me one of those nokia chargers as well, but you guys would be so jealous if you found out the amount i paid for it . It works fairly well with the nexus 4 but it seems to go in and out of charge for like the first 3 minutes of when you set it up and then it sticks perfectly till the end of your charging period. Glad i got this, works perfectly with my diztronic matte black case, perfect combination.

compuguy1088
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykache View Post
I got me one of those nokia chargers as well, but you guys would be so jealous if you found out the amount i paid for it . It works fairly well with the nexus 4 but it seems to go in and out of charge for like the first 3 minutes of when you set it up and then it sticks perfectly till the end of your charging period. Glad i got this, works perfectly with my diztronic matte black case, perfect combination.
Yea, thats the downside. The stand charger costs around $70......
Current Devices: Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S2
Past Devices: iPhone 2G 8GB, HTC Magic (Traded for G2), Samsung Vibrant, HTC G2
Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=74678

Sancus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkride View Post
I am an owner of both devices and I can confirm that the charging works only when the device is centered and the bottom of the device is 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher than the bottom of the charger. If you can put it about at that spot, it won't cycle any longer.

Cheers
I bought one of the DT-910 Nokia stand chargers, and I can confirm that this is accurate. In fact, I notice that in the last few posts/screenshots, people who claim it works fine seem to all have cases.

The issue appears to be that if the bottom(where the charging plate) of the phone is flush against the stand, then it cycles like crazy. If the charging plates are separate by a small amount(1/4 inch or so) then the cycling stops. The easiest way to consistently achieve this is simply to buy a case so that the plastic of the case is between your Nexus 4 and the charging stand.

I'm not sure how this squares with the reports that the Nokia doesn't have enough current to charge the Nexus 4 properly. If anything, moving the phone away from the charging plate seems like it would DECREASE the current output.

I am curious to hear reports of how well people's phones charge once they've done this and stopped the cycling.

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 833
if pepole are having problems with them, just return it for a refund, there's over 20 qi bases available.

here is one by sanwa, also a rebadge one for the international market by maxellor enerlink that is also a stand.

https://direct.sanwa.co.jp/ItemPage/...N11BK_TSL&ND=1
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition

ssskom
Old
Thanks Meter 16
assuming that there has to be a small distance between the charger and the phone to make it charge wirelessly, would it be safe to say that the nokia fatboy would work? (i.e the pillow charger, basically just a pillow covering the DT-900) ...

since people have been reporting that the has to be a slight distance for the nexus to charge, Im guessing that the reason a naked nexus could not charge and the nokia can has to do with the thickness of the phone...well, the lumia 920 is slightly thicker than the nexus...at least when I held it in my hands it felt that way (in MS store)...

shogunmark
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
I am going to go ahead and bit the bullet.. I can score the nokia charger for $30. I have the bumper on the phone now, but also have a rearth case. If the extra distance trick doesnt work then i will just ship it back. So I should be able to definitely confirm or deny this. Hopefully it ships soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kalpha
What is "power cycling"? How do you do it.
Thanks again
Will gladly accept Bitcoin donations!
1DDvVKyygGi6nixdgVnpPdy4vywNXncZEF

Noodles5666
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykache View Post
I don't know if I would be jealous as I was able to snag a free one.
Asus FonePad
8GB

Google Nexus Q

shogunmark
Old
(Last edited by shogunmark; 18th December 2012 at 06:47 PM.)
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
My initial testing with the Nokia wireless charger is a bust. I have tried all the tips and suggestions (using a cloth, or other material in between, even borrowed ideas from the Uniden thread) (NFC off or on does not make a difference).

I thought i was in for a success. I got it out of the package last night, and of course placing it directly on there caused the cycling issue. So i tried several different types of material, cloth, my rearth case, etc.. What finally stopped the cycling problem is that i have a second Rearth case (the first batch defective one) and i used this to cover the wireless charger, placed the phone on it with the top of the phone (not the USB port end) hanging about a half inch over the back of the charger (the plug in side). I had no cycling and within a half hour it went from 68% to 74%.

But i was not going to call this a success yet. I set it by my bed, laid it down on the charger and according to appearances it showed to be charging. About 5 hours later i was woken by a phone call. I missed the call and was unable to turn on the screen (phone was not unusually hot, nothing seemed abnormal). I held down the power button and it rebooted. Upon reboot i was at 54% battery. So without some kind of mods I would call this confirmed busted. Do not buy.

I will perform more tests this week when i am at the office so i can actually watch it and see whats going with it.

Quote:
Thanks again

shogunmark
Old
(Last edited by shogunmark; 18th December 2012 at 08:06 PM.)
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
Since this thing cost me less than $30 shipped, i will keep it regardless. So after i perform all of my testing as a stock unit, i will try to mod it to see what may or may not work. Something i really want to try is to hack in a different power supply. The one provided only outputs .75A. They use a stupid cable between the power supply and the pad. wish they would have used a d@mn micro usb cord. But i wont know whats feasible yet until i am done testing.

So before i make any mods to this later, is there any specific testing that anyone wants me to try besides what i have already mentioned above?

Things already tested:
  • Case vs No case (Rearth and Bumper)
  • couple of business cards between the phone and pad
  • placed bottom side on metal and non metal surface
  • NFC on and Off
  • Cloth in between phone and pad

Tests Planned (pre modification)
  • bringing to my office so i can watch the charge cycles all day
  • Charge with phone off (i did turn my phone off this morning and did notice it started to charge while off, i did not have time to let it sit though)
I should add though that a Qi charger should not require any work and should just work right out of the box. I am only continuing my testing because i plan on keeping it regardless, and others may be able to get these cheap enough to justify a little hacking to make work.

Quote:
Thanks again

jessesam
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajftl View Post
Just got the n4 today. My Nokia wireless charger works fine.
You can buy it at Att or Verizon or Tmobile I'm guessing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Is possible to flip the standing Nokia charger and use a pillow over it to charge ?
If its possible then stand / pillow will be a great combination so that I can switch between those .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2