OP juicyjones

14th February 2013, 02:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 77

182 posts
Donate to Me
More
I backed this Kickstarter for enough to get the bundle with a protector for both the front and back of my Nexus 4 and the front of my Nexus 7. Looks promising to me, anyone else know anything about this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...reen-protector

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juicyjones For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2013, 02:54 AM   |  #2  
Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 156

1,330 posts
More
that video is making a lot of claims about what their screen protector can do...lol at the hammer part of the video, it looks like he was placing it on the screen. the drop test proved nothing too as they tried drop it flat instead of on an edge not to mention we dont know how many times the phone did break for them to get that shot. In real life situations most of the time when a phone drops it will hit an edge and this is also where the glass is most vulnerable. Screen protectors dont add any protection against drops, you need a case for that.

Wasnt there many screen protectors like this at CES? why not just get one those than risking losing your money on a kickstarter that never gets funded.
14th February 2013, 03:02 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

21 posts
Seems like a great product,

21.52 USD for a Front and Back

That's heck of a deal
14th February 2013, 03:15 AM   |  #4  
Flag Arizona
Thanks Meter: 53

636 posts
More
Re: Rhino Shield Impact Resistant Screen Protector Kickstarter
Quote:
Originally Posted by naruses

Seems like a great product,

21.52 USD for a Front and Back

That's heck of a deal

You can get a front and back from bestskinsever.com for $7.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/google-nexus-4-skin

I use these on all my devices and they are great!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
14th February 2013, 03:21 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 96

850 posts
Reminds me of the Amzer Shatterproof.

When they mentioned ASTM standards the engineer in me was like..woah.

http://youtu.be/pnqBqPfxnY4
Here's their video dropping bricks on their iphone. I cringe when watching it. At least they show damage to the screen. Makes it more believable.

I have one. It's $40 but I paid $15 with coupon, with a lifetime warranty. So whenever it starts peeling I just pay shipping to get a replacement.

EDIT: Here's their hammer test.
http://youtu.be/Hsxl1bRTldo

Why kickstart something where someone else already makes it?
Last edited by PcFish; 14th February 2013 at 03:48 AM.
14th February 2013, 03:25 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle

182 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotekz

that video is making a lot of claims about what their screen protector can do...lol at the hammer part of the video, it looks like he was placing it on the screen. the drop test proved nothing too as they tried drop it flat instead of on an edge not to mention we dont know how many times the phone did break for them to get that shot. In real life situations most of the time when a phone drops it will hit an edge and this is also where the glass is most vulnerable. Screen protectors dont add any protection against drops, you need a case for that.

Wasnt there many screen protectors like this at CES? why not just get one those than risking losing your money on a kickstarter that never gets funded.

Are you sure you watched the entire video?

14th February 2013, 04:10 AM   |  #7  
Ottawa

1,330 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyjones

Are you sure you watched the entire video?

nope, i was just saying their drop test is misleading, but just went back and check out the rest of it. I assume you are referring to the "scientific" ball bearing drop. How is a steel ball dropping on a phone anything like a real life drop. Even their scientific test is misleading they should of put a cheap competitor screen protector instead of naked glass to prove that their screen protector is so much better.

I dont doubt that putting a layer of plastic over a screen makes it stronger against an impact at the center of the glass panel but this is not where a phone hits when it falls. Edges are weakest on glass screens, edges are where phones first hit when they are drop on a flat surface since screen protectors do not protect edges they do not protect against drops...If you dont believe me just search drop test on youtube and you will see that the vast majority if them break from the corner or edge.
14th February 2013, 04:31 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle

182 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotekz

nope, i was just saying their drop test is misleading, but just went back and check out the rest of it. I assume you are referring to the "scientific" ball bearing drop. How is a steel ball dropping on a phone anything like a real life drop. Even their scientific test is misleading they should of put a cheap competitor screen protector instead of naked glass to prove that their screen protector is so much better.

I dont doubt that putting a layer of plastic over a screen makes it stronger against an impact at the center of the glass panel but this is not where a phone hits when it falls. Edges are weakest on glass screens, edges are where phones first hit when they are drop on a flat surface since screen protectors do not protect edges they do not protect against drops...If you dont believe me just search drop test on youtube and you will see that the vast majority if them break from the corner or edge.

You should take your threadcrapping general anger at screen protectors out on some other thread. Nobody here is some poor fool who needs you to clarify the physics of phone breakage. It's clear what they're selling, the question is whether it's better than tempered glass or something else. Some of us work in places where the environment itself is a hazard and who can use this sort of thing because an otterbox defender type case may not be enough.

14th February 2013, 04:53 AM   |  #9  
Ottawa

1,330 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyjones

You should take your threadcrapping general anger at screen protectors out on some other thread. Nobody here is some poor fool who needs you to clarify the physics of phone breakage. It's clear what they're selling, the question is whether it's better than tempered glass or something else. Some of us work in places where the environment itself is a hazard and who can use this sort of thing because an otterbox defender type case may not be enough.

i dont have anything against screen protector just them claiming their screen protector protects against drops...If the question is if it is better against other protectors they should of tested it against other protectors.
16th February 2013, 08:05 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 26

117 posts
Just backed this. Wish it receives 100% funding before the end date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsl1326

You can get a front and back from bestskinsever.com for $7.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/google-nexus-4-skin

I use these on all my devices and they are great!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

If you had read their campaign, you wouldn't post this Rhino is not a regular screen proctector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcFish

Reminds me of the Amzer Shatterproof.

Why kickstart something where someone else already makes it?

Why not?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread