Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,750 Members 43,531 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

TPU or Silicone?

Tip us?

LcsZhDrw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default TPU or Silicone?

Which provides good protection while aesthetically looking nice (not too bulky)?

Ballistic or Diztronic I am choosing between.

wolfen69
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcsZhDrw View Post
Which provides good protection while aesthetically looking nice (not too bulky)?

I would lean towards TPU. The Ringke Fusion cases are nice and not too bulky.

My Devices:

HTC G1
Nexus One
Nexus 4

dr.jner
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcsZhDrw View Post

TPU is the way to go. Sillicon is bulky and get loose in time. They get dirty faster too.

Mashed_Potatoes
Old
Thanks Meter 90
I prefer Hard shell like Ringke Slim and Nillkin white. TPU and Silicon make the phone look cheap and they both get dirty easy
Phone: [White] LG Nexus 4 16GB

Roastmeat
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Go with the classic ebay S case for like $2.

I got it, its pretty thin, doubt you can get any thinner without risking protection.

My phone has fallen off a table twice and landed solidly on the case side on tile, just made a thud and no bounce.
Pretty sure it would of cracked if there wasn't any case.

Plus, it looks good and doesnt fuzz up like how clear ones do.
O+<

Abby Oddie
Old
Thanks Meter 0
In my pinion, both are good choices.The plastic cases that scratch phones are polycarbonate. Silicone would be the choice if you want more all-around protection, but it isnt the best when it comes to drop protection if it is not a thicker case not only that but silicone provides better grip in SOME cases, it depends on the design but generally they are lacking in that section. Coated TPU cases have extremely good drop protection, as do normal TPU cases but they have the potential to chip if dropped extremely hard onto something like a driveway

stazi34
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I like myself a nice TPU case with a black finish!

Planterz
Old
Thanks Meter 185
The best case I've found for my Galaxy Light is a $3.86 TPU case off eBay. Others had more protection but made this small phone into a huge brick. No decent Otterbox Commuter-like cases. I've dropped my GL a bunch of times, and the TPU has saved it every time.

When I got my Nexus 4, I bought an Acase Superleggera Pro since it was the most Otterbox-like. It's very nice, and provides great protection. However, it's a bit thick, and since I'm constantly swapping SIMs with my other phone, the dual layer construction is a bit tedious to undo/refit each time. So I ordered a Diztronic (smoke, I wish they offered blue). It's nicely made, but I feel like it's just not quite enough protection. Maybe it's the extra heft of the Nexus 4 over the GL, or maybe it's the more solid construction vs the plastic of the Samsung. Or maybe it's because I don't care as much about what happens to my GL. The TPU just doesn't feel like it's enough protection. Plus, the previous owner of the Nexus cracked the bottom corner of the screen from a 3 foot drop with a different (but ill-fitting) TPU case. Then she really broke the screen, but that's because she threw it at a wall, so I can't fault the case for that.
Relax, go nutz!

Project:Frankenphone
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I have a Ballistics case (the fat one). I am very pleased. It hasn't gotten dirty not has it gotten loose. I have dropped from about a 5 ft height onto a marble floor once. Phone did not sustain any damage. The only wear and tear it has shown is the edges looking rubbed because of the constant taking the phone in and out of my pocket. I have had it for nearly a year now. Not once complaint. Just make sure you buy a screen protector that goes all the way into the case otherwise it will slowly take it off. Hope this helps.