Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,152 Members 54,570 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(Super) cheap Qi charger $11.5/8,5

Tip us?

Mustang243
Old
(Last edited by Mustang243; 1st April 2014 at 09:04 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thumbs up (Super) cheap Qi charger $11.5/8,5

Okay guys, I ran in to this . It's k51 Qi Charger from Dx.com and it's on sale. It costs only $11.5 (was $20) and for that price I decided to order it. There's also a black version available: http://deals.dx.com/team.php?id=4701

Okay I just received mine. It is very very light and feels kinda cheap (well duh, what can you expect for 8,5 euros? ). It looks pretty good, I'm not sure if I like the leds on it. They aren't too bright or anything but they just don't fit with the white theme. It also makes this little sound when it starts charging. This may be con for someone, but it doesn't bother me.

First thing i noticed that the batterly level didn't rise up even though phone was on the charger for a half and hour. I tried the cable with the original charger and the charging status (in *#*#info#*#* -thingy) kept flashing between USB, AC and Unplugged. So the cable is faulty. I tried the original cable and everything was fine.

The charging area (or the "sweet spot" as Zenety called it) is decent. I don't know if theres a difference between the white and black one, but in mine you don't have to put it precisely in the middle of the charger for it to work. The green charging light doesn't always light up but phone is still charging.

The charging works pretty good when without case and also with Headcase, but when using Ringke Hybrid you need to put the phone precisely on the "sweet spot" for it to work. With leatherpouch it didn't work at all. Surface is very slippery and your phone can move around quite easily. I'm gonna find out if there anything to do with that.

Can anyone recommend app that allows me to see charging current? I could compare it to original LG wallcharger?

Here's few pictures:

Please tell me if these pictures are too big and I will re-upload them!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mustang243 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wrench588
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Please let us know how this goes, been looking at the wireless charging option!

Ticiano
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Just bought one for me and one for my father. If this thing sucks, it's your fault, twice!

Jokes apart, thanks!
Phone: Nexus 4
ROM: Mahdi with Hell's Core kernel.

klvnhng
Old
Thanks Meter 275

DONATE TO ME
Forgive me, but I never quite got the point of using a wireless charger. Besides the novelty of not having to connect a cable, don't the disadvantages outweigh the benefits? I mean, for one, you can't pick up the device while it's charging. And it also charges slower than on an AC wall charger.
The real problem is not whether machines think but whether people do. B. F. Skinner

OnePlus One (bacon) 64GB

Ticiano
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by klvnhng View Post
Forgive me, but I never quite got the point of using a wireless charger. Besides the novelty of not having to connect a cable, don't the disadvantages outweigh the benefits? I mean, for one, you can't pick up the device while it's charging. And it also charges slower than on an AC wall charger.
I like the idea that the charging will stop when the battery gets full and so it's perfect to use at night. I don't know for sure, but I think that keeping the phone plugged do the AC wall charger isn't good for the battery's lifespan.
Phone: Nexus 4
ROM: Mahdi with Hell's Core kernel.

klvnhng
Old
Thanks Meter 275

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticiano View Post
I like the idea that the charging will stop when the battery gets full and so it's perfect to use at night. I don't know for sure, but I think that keeping the phone plugged do the AC wall charger isn't good for the battery's lifespan.
Wall charger will also stop charging when full (as the battery is li-po), but maintains a trickle charge overnight, which should have little or no effect on battery lifespan.
The real problem is not whether machines think but whether people do. B. F. Skinner

OnePlus One (bacon) 64GB

The Following User Says Thank You to klvnhng For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

republicano
Old
(Last edited by republicano; 17th March 2014 at 08:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 161
i had one like this, the magnet wasnt very strong, i could get it to connect but sometimes it would stop so i couldnt rely on it.

the light changed colour once connected.

it was a hassle trying to get it to charge, i thought i could just slap the phone on it and it would detect but i guess due to the large surface area the phone needs to be in the dead center,

you could also have the phone dead center and it wouldnt detect, i had to hover the phone half a centimeter around for it to detect and you can feel the magnetic pull, took me 1-3 seconds to trigger the charge

it was much simpler just charging via USB.

i would buy one again and open it and put it in a smaller housing like the size of the phone,maybe use a better magnet

a few people i know swear by these chargers but they have the official products,

the nexus4 will tickle charge once it reaches upto 90% to preserve the battery life.
Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013

Mustang243
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Well I hope that this one won't have problems like above. It may have, maybe it will. I'll just have to wait and try it for myself. I dont think that charging with this one will be any slower since in the specs it says: "1. Input: 5V, 2A 2. Output: 5V, 1A" so if you use usb-charger that has 2A output it shouldn't be that much slower. If you use the original charger then it might take forever to fully charge?

The main reason I decide to buy this is the fact that I charge my phone every day. And sometimes I have to plug it out and back in few times a day because I need run some errands etc. Do you see where I'm going with this? The micro-usb port will take heck of alot "beating" daily and I've read so many stories (in general) about micro-usb being not as durable as it should be. So wireless charger will preserve my micro-usb port from over wearing and my phone will a long, happy, life

Zenety
Old
(Last edited by Zenety; 17th March 2014 at 02:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 242
I have ordered one. Just for the main purpose of opening it and using the Qi charging pad in another housing. Got some cool idea's to experiment with!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I bought the black one instead. Not that I need the actual housing, but if it doesn't work out like I want it to, i'd rather go for the same color as my nexus.
My Devices:

Nokia N900 - 900 MHZ - Triple Boot: Meego,Meamo and Android
Nexus 4 - 1512 MHZ - Latest PSX - Latest Neo Latest Franco kernel for testing with MultiRom.
Nexus 7 - 1200 MHZ - Stock

RolF2
Old
Thanks Meter 68
someone have tried this charger ? : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qi-Wireles...item19e9ef5b01