[5.0.2][01/07][v2.11] Nexus 4 LTE Enabler

Search This thread

blade86sam

Jul 23, 2012
Montreal
Working perfectly on SAOSP 5.1 on my N4! Settings stick after reboot. Signal could be stronger. Not sure whether thats related to the modem or the signal strength in my area, but I feel like I used to get better reception at home with the stock modem.
Thanks for the great job!

Signal for LTE compared to 3G will be weaker, that is normal.
The signal strength on the nexus 4 compared to, say a Samsung Galaxy S4 on same provider using LTE, has the same signal strength.

Reactions: elias.acab

haizmanbrain

May 1, 2015
preferred_network_mode2

After updating my phone it kept going back to WCDMA preferred. I found I had a preferred_network_mode2 in the settings.db that had got created when updating from 5.01 to 5.1. I set that to '10' and now 4G sticks after reboots.

Reactions: raz123

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010
Who is managing the account for /makostuff/? Could you please do us a small favor and adapt a consistent naming scheme and do a little clean up? Right now, there are some problems as I see it:
  • Google Drive sorts files by name. and as is, old and new files are scattered. it should ideally go somewhat in order.
  • there are duplicate files (e.g. there are two Nexus_4_HYBRID_LTE_Modem_27_106.zip)
  • some lte-enabler zips don't say which hybrid radio image it contains (e.g. nexus-4-lte-enabler-v2.13.zip)

That being said, I have a question about nexus-4-lte-enabler-v2.13.zip. I did a search, but could not find which hybrid radio version it contains?

lion7718

Jun 11, 2012
Who is managing the account for /makostuff/? Could you please do us a small favor and adapt a consistent naming scheme and do a little clean up? Right now, there are some problems as I see it:
  • Google Drive sorts files by name. and as is, old and new files are scattered. it should ideally go somewhat in order.
  • there are duplicate files (e.g. there are two Nexus_4_HYBRID_LTE_Modem_27_106.zip)
  • some lte-enabler zips don't say which hybrid radio image it contains (e.g. nexus-4-lte-enabler-v2.13.zip)

That being said, I have a question about nexus-4-lte-enabler-v2.13.zip. I did a search, but could not find which hybrid radio version it contains?

2.13 contains hybrid radio .33/1.06

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60142380&postcount=776

Reactions: c00ller

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010

To follow up, here's just my suggestion. Files should be grouped by the types: 1) hybrid radio only 2) stock radio only and 3) lte-enabler. Here are some examples of each:
  • Nexus4_Radio_Hybrid_106_27.zip (putting it in order of 106_27 instead of 27_106 allows the 106 hybrids to be grouped together since Drive sorts by file name)
  • Nexus4_Radio_Stock_105
  • Nexus4_LTE_Enabler_106_33.zip
And/or you could create a subfolder for each type. I would gladly do some reorganization it if I had access to the directory.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorilla p

raz123

Oct 25, 2010
Xiaomi Poco F3
After updating my phone it kept going back to WCDMA preferred. I found I had a preferred_network_mode2 in the settings.db that had got created when updating from 5.01 to 5.1. I set that to '10' and now 4G sticks after reboots.
Nice. On a clean CM12.1 install, after installing nexus-4-lte-enabler-v2.13.zip, I had to follow these steps to make LTE stick on reboot:

You will need a rooted phone

1. Download, install and open SQLite Debbuger
2. Browse and select /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
3. Select on 'global' -> 'name' -> 'preferred_network_mode'
4. Tap right under 'VALUE'
5. Update value -> put: 10
6. Tap on top right button to save changes (looks like: >)
7. Tap on 'Commit' (bottom right button)

Boom.

Last edited:
Reactions: yochananmarqos

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
Nice. On a clean CM12.1 install, after installing nexus-4-lte-enabler-v2.13.zip, I had to follow these steps to make LTE stick on reboot:

You will need a rooted phone

1. Download, install and open SQLite Debbuger
2. Browse and select /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
3. Select on 'global' -> 'name' -> 'preferred_network_mode'
4. Tap right under 'VALUE'
5. Update value -> put: 10
6. Tap on top right button to save changes (looks like: >)
7. Tap on 'Commit' (bottom right button)

Boom.

I used the 4G Switcher app available in the Play Store, which is nothing more than a shortcut to open the dialer settings where you can select LTE/GSM auto.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

gorilla p

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
STL
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
To follow up, here's just my suggestion. Files should be grouped by the types: 1) hybrid radio only 2) stock radio only and 3) lte-enabler. Here are some examples of each:
  • Nexus4_Radio_Hybrid_106_27.zip (putting it in order of 106_27 instead of 27_106 allows the 106 hybrids to be grouped together since Drive sorts by file name)
  • Nexus4_Radio_Stock_105
  • Nexus4_LTE_Enabler_106_33.zip
And/or you could create a subfolder for each type. I would gladly do some reorganization it if I had access to the directory.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2987907

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

ViViDboarder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Catchup

I haven't used my N4 in a few months and just updated to CM12.1 and have been hunting down zipfiles.

It seems the latest version people have had luck with is nexus-4-lte-enabler-v2.13.zip, which is likely based on the version on github (latest is 2.11). It's rather hard to tell if there is a new XDA thread since this OP hasn't been updated and it's also hard to track what changes have been made since whoever modified it did not fork the repo.

I'm starting my own fork for now to encourage iteration and transparency. If anyone wants to fork it, go ahead. If anyone wants to make changes to it, go ahead.

https://github.com/ViViDboarder/mako-lte-and-lte-hotspot-fix

Reactions: c00ller

DaleFarnsworth

May 21, 2015
Is there a solution for 5.1.1? I can't get mine to stick while on 4g

After upgrading to 5.1.1, I found there was a preferred_network_mode3 variable set to 0.
I modified the tmp/query.sh script from nexus-4-lte-enabler-v2.13.zip to set each of
preferred_network_mode
preferred_network_mode1
preferred_network_mode2
preferred_network_mode3
to 10. and installed the resultant zip. I'm sure there is a more elegant way to accomplish it, but this worked for me.

Dale

pjc123

Feb 7, 2013
www.flaminghellmet.com
So, I have used various LTE enablers or manually installed the hybrid radios starting back in the KitKat days, until I tried the one on this thread back in April on Lollipop, but text messages were getting delayed by days or never showing up so I had to remove it. So I would like to give it a try again. I am now rooted on 5.1.1 with TWRP using AT&T Straight Talk with an LTE sim card and some LTE spots in my area. What would be the recommended most stable enabler ( 2.13, 2.14, etc.)? I gather I then need to install and try the various hybrid radios as usual to find the best one (I have had issues with GPS not locking with certain hybrids)?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ariesgodofwar

Jun 10, 2010
Fenton
Android Wear
OnePlus 6T
So, I have used various LTE enablers or manually installed the hybrid radios starting back in the KitKat days, until I tried the one on this thread back in April on Lollipop, but text messages were getting delayed by days or never showing up so I had to remove it. So I would like to give it a try again. I am now rooted on 5.1.1 with TWRP using AT&T Straight Talk with an LTE sim card and some LTE spots in my area. What would be the recommended most stable enabler ( 2.13, 2.14, etc.)? I gather I then need to install and try the various hybrid radios as usual to find the best one (I have had issues with GPS not locking with certain hybrids)?

Thanks.

I flashed 2.14, which has the latest 5.1.1 modem included, and have not had any issues. YMMV

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will permanently enable LTE on the Nexus 4 running any Android 5.0 ROM. As long the hybrid radio is present, and a factory reset is not performed, LTE should remain enabled after reboots and ROM flashes.

Note: This mod also used to modify iptables to allow tethering over LTE on Canadian carriers, Bell, Rogers and Telus; however, these modifications are no longer necessary on Android 5.0. Nevertheless, please post if you have any problems tethering over LTE.

What it does
    • Flashes .33/1.04 hybrid radio
    • Modifies settings.db to permanently enable LTE

Requirements
    • Custom recovery (permanent or temporary)
    • Any Android 5.0+ ROM
    • LTE Band 4 (1700 MHz) AWS-enabled SIM and service provider

Installation
    1. Download the installation ZIP found below to your device, flash from recovery, and reboot.
    2. After flashing, enable your correct LTE APN.

Uninstallation

To help with restoring your device back to stock for OTAs, I have created an uninstaller. To uninstall, download the uninstaller ZIP below to your device, flash from recovery, and reboot.

FAQ

Will this work in my country, region, or territory, provider, etc?
    The Nexus 4 is only compatible with LTE Band 4 1700 MHz. Please see the List of LTE networks to see if your provider operates LTE on Band 4 1700 MHz. If your provider does not operate LTE on Band 4 1700 MHz, this fix will not work for you.

How do I install this on my Nexus 4 running stock Android 5.0+?
    Detailed instructions on on how to flash this on stock Nexus 4 running Android 5.0 can be found here.

I am running CM12 or CM12-based ROM; how do I get LTE to persist following reboots?
    Currently, this fix does not allow LTE to persist on CM12 or CM12-based ROMs because, we speculate, how the ROMs are compiled and this is overriding the values in settings.db. After rebooting, enable LTE by dialing *#*#INFO#*#*, select Phone information, scroll down and select LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) from the drop-down.

Download & changelog

Before flashing, please remember to make a Nandroid backup. Also, please double check the MD5 hash of the ZIP. Additionally, you can download the .md5 file and have TWRP check it for you.

INSTALLER 2014/01/07 v2.11 - Downloadhttps://github.com/marcandrews/mako-lte-and-lte-hotspot-fix/releases/tag/2.11
    • Update updater-script to accept 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 ROMs
    UNINSTALLER 2014/01/07 v2.11u - Downloadhttps://github.com/marcandrews/mako-lte-and-lte-hotspot-fix/releases/tag/2.11u
    • Update updater-script to accept 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 ROMs
    All versions are also available on GitHub.

Special thanks

XanSama
    #netfilter guys at freenode
    morrislee
    cg87
    partylikeaninjastar
    beerbaronstatic
    ramjet73
    Joshua Mr PC Repair
    PRE-RELEASE Update

Before flashing, please remember to make a Nandroid backup. Also, please double check the MD5 hash of the ZIP. Additionally, you can download the .md5 file and have TWRP check it for you. Please test both the installer and uninstaller. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

INSTALLER 2014/11/18 v2.0-pre9 - Downloadhttps://github.com/marcandrews/mako-lte-and-lte-hotspot-fix/releases/tag/2.0
    • Update hybrid radio to .33/1.04
    • Update update-binary, sqlite3, and add file_contexts for SELunix
    • Update updater-script for 5.0
    • Utilize settings.db edits (instead of build.prop edits) to enable LTE permanently
    UNINSTALLER 2014/11/18 v2.0u-pre3 - Downloadhttps://github.com/marcandrews/mako-lte-and-lte-hotspot-fix/releases/tag/2.0u
    • Update radio to 1.04
    • Update update-binary, sqlite3, and add file_contexts for SELunix
    • Update updater-script for 5.0
    Guys, working on getting the script to work for 5.1+. Can someone please pull the setting.db storage and provide me. I think i messed up mine or can someone verify if there are two preferred_network_name = and preferred_network_name1 =. If there are 2, please provide me the default values. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

It looks like google changed the name from preferred_network_name to preferred_network_name1. Which is why the script wouldn't work. I have fixed the script and updated the modem to .33/106 (taken from other post) and fixed the script. Now all works.

Download Here: http://goo.gl/mQR5F3

And, please add to http://bit.ly/makostuff
    File name: nexus-4-lte-enabler-v2.12.zip flash through recovery and LTE should stick. Enjoy!
    Sent from my Nexus 4
    More about the enabling LTE via settings.db

As I alluded to back in July, the build.prop edits were never required to enabled LTE.

Code:
    ro.telephony.default_network=9
    ro.ril.def.preferred.network=9
    These lines tell the phone which network mode to try after a factory reset. This is why some LTE-enabling methods asked you to factory reset to enabled LTE but who wants to factory reset just to enabled LTE. So if you're not resetting, these lines have no effect.

Code:
    telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1
    This line was to allow the selection of LTE under Network Mode, but this menu is no longer available >4.3, so this line has no effect. It was only indirectly required because that selection menu allowed you to change the preferred_network_mode value in settings.db, and this is what enables LTE and allows it to stay enabled permanently following a reboot.

So if you can change the preferred_network_mode value directly, you do not need any build.prop edits, nor do you need the Network Mode selection menu. All you need is preferred_network_mode=9 and an LTE-enabled modem/radio. This is what my LTE-enabler accomplishes.

As for the discussion about LTE sticking after ROM flashes, settings.db is located on the data partition. ROM flashable zips rarely touch the data partition, and they also rarely flash a new modem, so as long as these two remain, and you have not wiped (because wiping clears the data partition, which in turn will clear the preferred_network_mode value), LTE will stick after a ROM flash. So basically, you only need to flash my LTE-enabler after wiping.

This mod also used to modify iptables to allow tethering over LTE on Canadian carriers, Bell, Rogers and Telus; however, these modifications are no longer necessary on Android 5.0. I will leave information on those modifications here:
    More about the LTE tethering fix

Since the Nexus 4 LTE hack was discovered, people on networks other then T-Mobile have been struggling to enable tethering over LTE. Pre-4.3, the solution was an iptables script to allow LTE tethering through the firewall. This solution no longer works for 4.3+. I have updated the script to allow LTE tethering through the firewall in 4.3+. My LTE fix applies the following changes:
    Code:
    iptables -D natctrl_FORWARD -j DROP
    iptables -t nat -A natctrl_nat_POSTROUTING -o rmnet_usb0 -j MASQUERADE
    The other issue is that this script had to be run each and every boot. Placing the commands within an init.d script does not work because at the time init.d scripts are run in the boot, the natctrl_nat_POSTROUTING rule does not exist, so you cannot append to it. Even if you do create the rule and append to it, the changes will be overwritten when the rules are set later in the boot. The solution is to run the commands within a delayed subshell that alters the firewall after the rules are set. This is what my LTE fix does:
    Code:
    (
    sleep 15
    iptables -D natctrl_FORWARD -j DROP
    iptables -t nat -A natctrl_nat_POSTROUTING -o rmnet_usb0 -j MASQUERADE
    )

More information on GitHub.
    Generic Lollipop Versions for T-Mobile USA

I've created and tested two new flashable zips that only check for Android 5.x rather than a specific release as follows:

nexus-4-lte-enabler-v2.1.1.zip

Flashes .33/1.05 hybrid radio and sets "preferred_network_mode=10" in settings.db for any 5.x ROM.

nexus-4-lte-sqlite3-v2.1.1.zip

Sets "preferred_network_mode=10" in settings.db for any 5.x ROM. This file can be flashed when changing ROM's to set the preferred network type index without re-flashing the hybrid modem firmware.

I've changed the index from 9 to 10 because after some testing on my Nexus 4 I've determined that the index is relative to 0 and the tenth entry in the preferred network type list for T-Mobile USA is "LTE/GSM auto (PRL)" which allows fallback from 4G to 3G but the eleventh entry is "LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)" which allows fallback from 4G to 3G to 2G.

Note that these flashable zip files are designed to work with a ROM based on the Google Lollipop (5.x) factory image or the 5.x AOSP source code. The hybrid radio can still be used with non-AOSP ROM's such as CM12 and MIUI V6 (when it becomes available) but the preferred_network_type setting may not "stick" and require manual selection after each boot in the "Phone Information" settings accessed via the "*#*#4636#*#*" dialer code or an app that generates that dialing sequence.

ramjet73