Are 301K & above devices any better than 212K?

Difference: 210/212K v/s 301K+ Devices.

• Got ear piece static/buzzing sound - 210/212K

Votes: 32 12.8%
  • Got loose vol rocker/power button - 210/212K

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I faced red (LED) light of death issue - 210/212K

• Got the yellow tint issue - 210/212K

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Got light bleeding issue - 210/212K

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • My N4 does not rattle - 210/212K

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • My N4 is DEFECT FREE - 210/212K

Votes: 72 28.8%
  • Got ear piece static/buzzing sound - 301+K

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Got loose volume rocker and power button - 301+K

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • I faced red (LED) light of death issue - 301+K

• Got the yellow tint issue - 301+K

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Got light bleeding issue - 301+K

• My N4 does not rattle - 301+K

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My N4 is DEFECT FREE - 301+K

Votes: 93 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
Lately I have been asking myself a lot about it and have read a lot of questions from other forum members who want to know "Are 301K manufactured devices any better than 212K?". Just to minimize the confusion and gather any/all information from 301K+ device owners, I am posting this.

There is also a POLL attached so that who have received 301K & above devices may give us feedback if their devices do not have the issues which earlier makes had.

The POLL has separate options for up to 212K device owners and for 301K and above N4 owners. This way we will be able to see if the issues have been reduced/minimized or completely wiped off. Of course, there aren't many 301K owners ATM, but they are increasing....rapidly. So this will help.

If you do not have any of the mentioned issue, kindly select option number 7. And if there any new issues found in 301K+ devices, please mention in posts.

Last edited:

TrevSo

Jun 30, 2011
Philadelphia
Next people will be worrying about whether 302k devices are better then 301k and be "outraged" that LG is still releasing new hardware. :silly:

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
Oh, mine doesn't rattle. I do have the auto focus noise, but thats expected.

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
Yeah, it's just the mechanism. It's why most phones with cameras with auto focus have camera problems if they are dropped in water.

kingwaffle

Feb 26, 2012
Mine has the earpiece buzzing sound. It doesn't bother me a whole lot since I hate talking to people on the phone.

Screen sensitivity is a complete joke though, and I'm upset they didn't fix it in 4.2.2.

Audioboxer

Aug 24, 2010
From the RMA thread:

My 301K arrived, still has some light bleed. Not as bad as my 212K so I guess I'll keep this one.

One blob of light bleed on the top right of taskbar, vs 3 on my 212K.

The volume rocker isn't rattling any more either which is good, as I also got creaking on my 212K just above the volume rocker. Was as if the housing of the phone wasn't fitted tightly enough.

Not sure on CPU binning yet, my 212K was faster, but hardware/screen defects > CPU binning on priority, obviously.

edit: I've just noticed there is a huge bit of light bleed bottom left of the phone, makes half the bottom half of the screen brighter. Argh. I give up, LG displays are simply crap.

Last edited:

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Got my replacement yesterday. It was a 301 and my first was a 212 (Both rev_11)

301 has a lot less light bleed than my 212 and is less visible at high brightness compared to the 212. It still has a little bit but not as bad as the 212. The backlight bleeding on the 212 was really not that bad in my opinion until I saw them side by side, then it looked pretty bad (my gf actually noticed a difference and she never notices stuff like that)

No rattles in the 301 but didn't have them on the 212. I RMA'ed the 212 because of a ground issue with the headphone jack(301 seems ok).

Also want to mention they were set up EXACTLY the same. I had restored the latest back up from my 212 onto my 301. Everything was a mirrored image.

The 212's display seems a bit brighter but the colors on the 301 seem more vibrant and richer(again, both set up the same exact way, same rom, apps, kernel, brightness, color settings etc..)

No yellow stains or blotches on either.

Everything else on the 301 seems ok so far

big_b0sss

Feb 17, 2012
Belfast
Got my replacement yesterday. It was a 301 and my first was a 212 (Both rev_11)

301 has a lot less light bleed than my 212 and is less visible at high brightness compared to the 212. It still has a little bit but not as bad as the 212. The backlight bleeding on the 212 was really not that bad in my opinion until I saw them side by side, then it looked pretty bad (my gf actually noticed a difference and she never notices stuff like that)

No rattles in the 301 but didn't have them on the 212. I RMA'ed the 212 because of a ground issue with the headphone jack(301 seems ok).

Also want to mention they were set up EXACTLY the same. I had restored the latest back up from my 212 onto my 301. Everything was a mirrored image.

The 212's display seems a bit brighter but the colors on the 301 seem more vibrant and richer(again, both set up the same exact way, same rom, apps, kernel, brightness, color settings etc..)

No yellow stains or blotches on either.

Everything else on the 301 seems ok so far

Exactly however my faulty one was 301k which is a bit weird to me the new 301k is bit yellowish also vibration is a bit stronger

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Audioboxer

Aug 24, 2010
How hard do you think it would be (if even possible) to fix the light bleed if I dissembled the phone?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    /me thinks it would be a good idea to specify that 210, 211, 212, and 301 refer to manufacture months instead of assuming that everyone will immediately understand what you mean.
    Missing options:

-Got rattle issue for 210K/212K and 301K
    A lot of newer AF cameras "rattle". iPhone 5 "rattles", Nexus 4 "rattles" Get. Over. It.
    A lot of Nexus headcases in here

My 301K is flawless buttons seem a bit firmer than my 211K which had to be returned because of a faulty gyroscope
    I've owned 212K for a month now, and I received a 301K some days ago.

Initially I did a close comparison on display quality and camera. I used a exact same nandroid of Android 4.2.2 with CM10.1, and I flashed factory 4.2.2 images for both before restoring the nandroid. So the software should be quite comparable.

Display: In general, there is no major differences. When compared side-to-side, the 212K was a tiny bit brighter at maximum brightness, but that was pretty much the only difference I noticed. There seemed to be no difference in color reproduction.

Camera: I took a few simultaneous test shots side-by-side, and the 301K image was always tiny bit warmer. Whites were noticeably whiter with 212K. The detail quality e.g. shooting something that had written text was almost identical. I would probably prefer the 212K camera due to the fact that I liked the whites more, but in the end they were enough identical that I don't really care.

Power & volume rockers: on my 212K basically my power button is too stiff. You have to press it quite hard and there is no clear button feedback when it activates. I don't really like it, although it's a good thing it's not too loose... like the volume rocker in my 212K. It makes creaky noise when adjusting, and it wobbles quite a lot sideways. On 301K the power button feels much more natural. There's a button press feedback clearly indicating when it's activated, albeit I'm not sure whether it's going to get looser and creaky in time. The volume rocker on 301K feels really good as well, but time will tell whether it will loosen up as well. These button quality differences could simply be the variation in build quality in all revisions and not really something directly related to these two revisions.

For both of my units 212K and 301K I don't have any light bleed, any earpiece buzz, yellow tint, extra rattle (both has similar rattle which is the normal camera focus mechanism related), and both units are sturdy in general meaning no creaky sounds in any parts of the back or display.
    guys, relax. its a phone! use it to call people. done. :laugh:

And your on XDA just to share stories of all the excellent phone calls you have had using a Nexus 4? I think not. :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    Mine's a 302K and it's absolutey impeccable!:D