Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,023 Members 41,125 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will We Get A 32gb Nexus 4?

Tip us?

ap3604
Old
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyblue04 View Post
The only solution is either a SD Slot or 32gb of Internal Memory. There is NO REASONABLE alternative.
Guess the Nexus 4 isn't for you then. Myself and many MANY others will be happy to pick one up

As weird as it might sound to you... I'm actually going with the 8gb version and will be perfectly fine
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ap3604 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2555

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
Yeah, I know. My S3 i9300 already does this. Bonus is that it also supports a wireless mouse and keyboard if you plug the USB receiver into the cable. But why would I wanna stick a cable and flash drive into my phone (which by the way, draws power from the phone)? It'll be highly uncomfortable in the pocket when listening to music. Maybe if you have a lot of movies, since you'll have the phone out on the desk or something, but not for something on-the-go.

Google clearly put that Snapdragon S4 Pro in there for gamers; I realize this is a development device, but damn Google, then why would you bother to market it to regular consumers? Games + ROM Backups + ROM and Kernel zips + Music + Movies + Photos = FULL storage. Flash storage is extremely cheap these days. I'm sure a MicroSD card slot is even cheaper to implement. I would've paid a little more for expandable storage.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

The Following User Says Thank You to Product F(RED) For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BennyJr
Old
Thanks Meter 208
Don't buy the phone then. Easy as that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BennyJr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bfspider
Old
Thanks Meter 98
I'm really curious on what people specifically fill up their phones with. Do you literally take your _entire_ music and movie collection and stuff it on your phone? Do you watch and listen to everything you have on your phone? I understand the availability aspect of it, but, do you guys have all the time in the world to listen and use what is stored on your phone?

I think the reason why there is only a 16GB model is the fact that there is the cloud and they wanted to hit a certain price point with very little models. Yeah, I know that coverage isn't 100%. But still, I have the 16GB GNex and it is at about 50-60%% capacity. I have a few games, some albums, some mixes, maybe a movie or two and I find myself using Tune-in radio and the google music app to stream stuff.

It doesn't take a lot of time, maybe a few minuets to swap out an album or a movie. Also, there are options when you turn your phone's USB port into a USB host.

Anyways, my two cents on this whole, no 32GB/sd slot issue. Maybe they might release a 32GB model later or the tech will be at the right _price_ point to offer that option.
Nexus 5:BEERGANG ★KANGAKAT★
Need a Dropbox account? http://db.tt/wrXSsZf
The Following User Says Thank You to bfspider For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

funkyblue04
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyJr View Post
Don't buy the phone then. Easy as that.

SICK of these comments! They add no value. There is no alternative if you want space and Pure Nexus.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to funkyblue04 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

funkyblue04
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfspider View Post
I'm really curious on what people specifically fill up their phones with. Do you literally take your _entire_ music and movie collection and stuff it on your phone? Do you watch and listen to everything you have on your phone? I understand the availability aspect of it, but, do you guys have all the time in the world to listen and use what is stored on your phone?
I travel a lot and want to replace my MP3 player. Currently filled with 18gb of music. Copy and forget. I do want to have to swap and change all the time. Adding 32gb would be hardly an issue. Why does the Nexus 7 and 10 have 32gb then?

BennyJr
Old
Thanks Meter 208
Quote:
SICK of these comments! They add no value. There is no alternative if you want space and Pure Nexus.
So you're gonna keep making threads complaining about something that won't change?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BennyJr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bfspider
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
I travel a lot and want to replace my MP3 player. Currently filled with 18gb of music. Copy and forget. I do want to have to swap and change all the time. Adding 32gb would be hardly an issue. Why does the Nexus 7 and 10 have 32gb then?
I would think that it does due to the fact that there is more physical space to put that kind of memory in the tablet.

The smaller the memory, the more expensive the cost. I'm sure people would gladly pay more for more space. However, from a manufacturing and price point of view, it was an option that had to be taken out.

I think $299 for a top (almost?) of the line phone is pretty awesome.
Nexus 5:BEERGANG ★KANGAKAT★
Need a Dropbox account? http://db.tt/wrXSsZf

shaolin95
Old
Thanks Meter 869
Quote:
Agree..completely useless comments. Phones are sold as smart devices capable of many things...so don't fing go back in time and limit our storage this limiting how much we can do with it. Going backwards is never a good idea.

Sent from the Mighty Note International!

Gayest quote ever from MST3K!
"You know Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful...if you just take the time to look at it.".

My Galaxy Note Games & Apps previews YOUTUBE channel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaolin95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2555

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfspider View Post

I think the reason why there is only a 16GB model is the fact that there is the cloud and they wanted to hit a certain price point with very little models. Yeah, I know that coverage isn't 100%. But still, I have the 16GB GNex and it is at about 50-60%% capacity. I have a few games, some albums, some mixes, maybe a movie or two and I find myself using Tune-in radio and the google music app to stream stuff.

It doesn't take a lot of time, maybe a few minuets to swap out an album or a movie. Also, there are options when you turn your phone's USB port into a USB host.

Anyways, my two cents on this whole, no 32GB/sd slot issue. Maybe they might release a 32GB model later or the tech will be at the right _price_ point to offer that option.
I'd buy a 32GB for $400. Still cheaper than the $575 I paid for the S3 i9300. And if I sold my S3, it'd cover the costs. Hell, I would've paid $400 if they said "The $400 model still has 16GB, but it also has a MicroSD card slot".

And cloud storage, yeah I get that; but the issues with that are:

1. You don't have signal everywhere.
2. For a non-LTE phone, it'll take forever to stream large files.
3. We don't have real unlimited data anymore on the big networks, and data plans are extremely expensive. (except on T-Mobile; Sprint's 3G is useless).
4. Streaming eats your battery like there's no tomorrow.

Flash storage is EXTREMELY cheap. A MicroSD card slot probably would've been even cheaper to implement. Apple price-gouges on iPhone storage (+$100 for double the storage). Don't believe those prices. The costs are marginal.

As for what I use my phone for? This is what's on my phone storage (not MicroSD). I just redid my phone. I still haven't downloaded about 3 or 4 games that are ~1GB or more each. This picture says I have 7GB left, not counting those 3 or 4GB for games and the 17GB I used on my card. Let's say I was able to clear out half of that 17GB and I don't install those games because they were too big and I don't need them. I'd still have 1.5GB (8.5GB) more files than I have space. I only have like 300 songs on my phone too:

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Product F(RED) For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]