XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will We Get A 32gb Nexus 4?

Tip us?

drumist
Old
Thanks Meter 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyblue04 View Post
SICK of these comments! They add no value. There is no alternative if you want space and Pure Nexus.
This forum is not a place to whine about what phone you wish Google would make. Complaining about the device not having enough storage space is just as off-topic as if I came in here complaining that this device doesn't have a 5.5 inch screen.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to drumist For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

funkyblue04
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyJr View Post
So you're gonna keep making threads complaining about something that won't change?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
How do you know? I made a single thread BTW....

funkyblue04
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumist View Post
This forum is not a place to whine about what phone you wish Google would make. Complaining about the device not having enough storage space is just as off-topic as if I came in here complaining that this device doesn't have a 5.5 inch screen.
How is it off topic, when I created a thread about 32gb and lack of space?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to funkyblue04 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2438

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Actually, it's very on-topic. We're not "whining", as you call it, just because you don't agree. This is a forum about mobile devices. It's completely on-topic to talk about features that are, or weren't or shouldn't have been implemented. This thread is called "Will we get a 32GB Nexus 4?" If you have it etched into your mind that the answer is no, then hit "Unsubscribe" and move along. Not everyone uses their phone the same way as you. Personally, I believe that for a device with a Snapdragon S4 Pro, and which takes 1080p video and is all about sharing content (Android Beam), there should have been more storage. But again, your views may not allign with mine because we use our devices differently.

I put things on my phone without needing to worry about space because I have 16GB built in + 32GB microSD card storage. When I went on vacation to Europe this summer, my S3 was my camera, my phone, and my multimedia device. It worked great. I had to clear it out once. If I had a phone with only 16GB of storage and no expansion? I'd be clearing out the phone every other day. If you have an iPod or whatever that you use for multimedia, then that's great. But I use my phone for everything.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Product F(RED) For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bfspider
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
I'd buy a 32GB for $400. Still cheaper than the $575 I paid for the S3 i9300. And if I sold my S3, it'd cover the costs. Hell, I would've paid $400 if they said "The $400 model still has 16GB, but it also has a MicroSD card slot".
A MicroSD slot would have been nice. But, it seems to be a feature that is getting dropped for unknown reasons.

Quote:
And cloud storage, yeah I get that; but the issues with that are:

1. You don't have signal everywhere.
2. For a non-LTE phone, it'll take forever to stream large files.
3. We don't have real unlimited data anymore on the big networks, and data plans are extremely expensive. (except on T-Mobile; Sprint's 3G is useless).
4. Streaming eats your battery like there's no tomorrow.
1. Agree, as mentioned already.
2. Large is relative. Are we taking in the MB or in the GB...? I think HSPA+ is good if you're in under the GB range.
3. True, I'm lucky to still have my $59 all I can nom TMo plan
4. True. However, I stream when I'm in my car or at home. So, I have a power source on hand.

Quote:
Flash storage is EXTREMELY cheap. A MicroSD card slot probably would've been even cheaper to implement. Apple price-gouges on iPhone storage (+$100 for double the storage). Don't believe those prices. The costs are marginal.
Flash storage _can_ be cheap. However, the smaller the footprint size you want to put said 32GB into will be more expensive than lets say a flash drive or memory in a tablet. I think SD slots should be a standard and I'm not sure why they are becoming a lost art.

w.r.t. Apple, two words: Apple Tax

Quote:
As for what I use my phone for? This is what's on my phone storage (not MicroSD). I just redid my phone. I still haven't downloaded about 3 or 4 games that are ~1GB or more each. This picture says I have 7GB left, not counting those 3 or 4GB for games and the 17GB I used on my card. Let's say I was able to clear out half of that 17GB and I don't install those games because they were too big and I don't need them. I'd still have 1.5GB (8.5GB) more files than I have space. I only have like 300 songs on my phone too:

[IMG][IMG]
That's a lot of stuffs...

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Nothing wrong with constructive conversations here...
Nexus 5:BEERGANG ★KANGAKAT★
Need a Dropbox account? http://db.tt/wrXSsZf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfspider For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yahoowizard
Old
Thanks Meter 69
All things aside, everyone should be able to understand that it would have been a very minimal cost to throw in a 32 or even a 64 GB SD card in there. Stuff like a 5.5 inch screen or even an SD card slot might have cost a lot more in terms of production and all those things, but a 32 GB HD replacing the 16 GB HD should have been easily possible. I'm pretty confused over Google's decision here.

bfspider
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoowizard View Post
All things aside, everyone should be able to understand that it would have been a very minimal cost to throw in a 32 or even a 64 GB SD card in there. Stuff like a 5.5 inch screen or even an SD card slot might have cost a lot more in terms of production and all those things, but a 32 GB HD replacing the 16 GB HD should have been easily possible. I'm pretty confused over Google's decision here.
I think an SD Slot would have made this phone one step more amazing than it already is and it would be up to the user to invest in the size they feel that they needed along with the class of the card.

I would like to know the trade-offs that were performed with regards to memory size and sd slots when designing this phone. I can understand the first trying to hit a price point. However, the second is something that I don't understand yet.
Nexus 5:BEERGANG ★KANGAKAT★
Need a Dropbox account? http://db.tt/wrXSsZf
The Following User Says Thank You to bfspider For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

funkyblue04
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoowizard View Post
I am confused too. Should be 16gb/32gb as the options. With the amount of 1gb games, music and videos it is needed for many people.
The Following User Says Thank You to funkyblue04 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Drzfr3shboialex
Old
Thanks Meter 105

DONATE TO ME
I'll be getting the 16gb although I prefer 32gb/64gb/128gb, but I just hope Google learns for their next nexus. Best specs, pentaband unlocked, cheap, and beautiful design with lots of storage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

parker09
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyblue04 View Post
The only solution is either a SD Slot or 32gb of Internal Memory. There is NO REASONABLE alternative.
Exactly, using the cloud would need fairly big data packs from service providers and even then the battery life suffer. I'm waiting till 32GB comes out as a minimum.

Once you figure in music, maps, a video or two if you're going away, games (Batman/GTA which are pretty big etc) your left with barely anything left.

Primary devices:

..... LG/Google Nexus 5: Android 4.4.2
..... Acer W510: Windows 8.1

Retired devices:

..... LG/Google Nexus 4: Android 4.4
..... HTC HD2: Windows Phone 7.8
..... HTC Legend: Android 4.0
..... UG802 USB: Android 4.0
..... Acer A500: Android 4.3
ejparker.com