XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.2.2 Performance & Impressions

Tip us?

clintb
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by planoman View Post
I think the Nexus 4 can only connect to 2.4 GHz networks?
Nope, it does 5 GHz as well..

Plano, my hometown!

wilsonlam97
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Battery life is so much better. I have 4h and 18m of screen time right now and it still has 27% of battery left. My phone's been away from the charger for 9.5 hours now.

So much better than 4.2.1

I can finally get through a day of use.
iPhone 3GS -> G1 -> iPhone 4 -> Galaxy Nexus -> G1 -> Nexus 4

osi13
Old
Thanks Meter 67
I stayed on the stock kernel for a day and a half before re-flashing Franco's with Paranoid Android 3.0. It seems like battery life is a bit better than on 4.2.1 . My phone lasted 27 hours with three hours and twenty minutes of screen time. This was with a mix of 3g/WiFi, and with an extension registered via CSipSimple (TCP transport - 500s keep alive) at all times. I was pretty impressed actually. However, I've hit 34 hours of battery life with 4 hours on screen time with Franco's kernel on 4.2.1. Nevertheless, battery life does seem to be a bit improved on 4.2.2.

What bothers me is that Google still has not addressed the poor quality Bluetooth audio. My Galaxy Nexus sounds a lot better while using A2DP, as does my HTC Jewel. Also, I'm shocked that Synaptics hasn't released a new driver for the digitizer. All of the other devices I own are much more sensitive. Including my crappy HTC Shooter. Even the older driver for our device is more sensitive, but it has ghosting issues. I'd say it's about time for an update.

ugene1980
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Bettery's way better now and its very obvious!

(On par or better, as using Franco kernel on 4.2.1)

heydae3
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Default rests on H

I have Phone Signal Notifier on my phone that gives you signal strength on dBm ,percentage and signal type.
What I have noticed is that the phone rests on H (which I am going to assume is 3g). But then jumps to H+ (4g?) when a task is activated such browsing or using the Google Play market.
The problem is I notice is that the ping is delayed when in H. I tested this several times with the Speedtest app. If you retest while in H+, the ping is very fast. However, the phone reverts to H quickly, giving you slow pings once again.
The Up and Down results are about the same.

Just thinking with this tenancy to rest on H, data speeds are slow to start, hence a slower browsing experience etc...

Thoughts on this?
Am I being too nit picky?

PING WHEN STARTED ON H

PING ON H+

IAIRonI
Old
Thanks Meter 52
I never really had a problem with performance or battery so they seem similar to me. I will say that the screen looks a bit better, the change is minimal though. My friend has an N4 as well and he hasn;t received the update yet so I turned each phones screen brightness all the way up and opened things like settings and chrome browser and went to the same web page and it looked slightly better.

keijikage
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydae3 View Post
I have Phone Signal Notifier on my phone that gives you signal strength on dBm ,percentage and signal type.
What I have noticed is that the phone rests on H (which I am going to assume is 3g). But then jumps to H+ (4g?) when a task is activated such browsing or using the Google Play market.
The problem is I notice is that the ping is delayed when in H. I tested this several times with the Speedtest app. If you retest while in H+, the ping is very fast. However, the phone reverts to H quickly, giving you slow pings once again.
The Up and Down results are about the same.

Just thinking with this tenancy to rest on H, data speeds are slow to start, hence a slower browsing experience etc...

Thoughts on this?
PING WHEN STARTED ON H
PING ON H+
That is always how it is... this is to save power by not keeping the radio powered up the whole time. This is why lte "feels" snappier when the current up and down speeds are very similar.
The Following User Says Thank You to keijikage For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

IAIRonI
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Oh yeah I forgot to mention something. Is it just me or is sound a lot louder. I haven't played anything through the aux yet but just through the speaker it seems much louder

Triune
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default Re: 4.2.2 Performance & Impressions

My battery life is significantly better and overall performance is slightly better. Good update. Can't wait for KLP.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

osi13
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAIRonI View Post
Oh yeah I forgot to mention something. Is it just me or is sound a lot louder. I haven't played anything through the aux yet but just through the speaker it seems much louder
It's definitely not over A2DP.