Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,697 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android L Discussions, Rumors .....

Tip us?

stuffynet
Old
(Last edited by stuffynet; 8th July 2014 at 08:13 PM.) Reason: update info
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 369

DONATE TO ME
Default Android L Discussions, Rumors .....

So here is the deal.

Over the past releases of android Google made a habit of teasing next android versions using the phone clock (see attachment). So I guess that this year at Google I/O we will really see a new version and that is 5.0. Hope it is something breath taking as it was with the Ice Cream S.
I am really confident that our beloved Nexus will get it.

Source

At Google I/O this year the new Android L will be revealed and has a date release for this autumn.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Source 4

Android L features:
- Material Design
- Document-centric Recents
- Enhanced notifications
- Project Volta
- Android Runtime ART by default
- BLE Peripheral Mode
- 64-bit support
- New features for game developers
- Advanced camera capabilities

FOR THOSE STILL ASKING IF NEXUS 4 WILL GET IT. IT WILL. SEE THE PROOF.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nexusae0_wm_1.jpg
Views:	11956
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	2816814   Click image for larger version

Name:	nexusae0_wm_2.jpg
Views:	11206
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	2816815   Click image for larger version

Name:	nexusae0_wm_Bluetooth.jpg
Views:	9668
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	2816816   Click image for larger version

Name:	nexusae0_wm_data.jpg
Views:	8695
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	2816817   Click image for larger version

Name:	nexusae0_wm_WiFi1.jpg
Views:	8072
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	2816818  

Name:	4.4.jpg
Views:	7440
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2816892   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.3.jpg
Views:	6952
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	2816893   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.2.jpg
Views:	6865
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	2816894   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.1.jpg
Views:	6763
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2816895   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.0.jpg
Views:	6754
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2816896  

Name:	2.3.jpg
Views:	6608
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	2816897   Click image for larger version

Name:	android-5.0.jpg
Views:	6847
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	2816898  
DEVICE: LG Nexus 4 16GB
ROM: Stock Untouched

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to stuffynet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xtatsh
Old
Thanks Meter 118

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffynet View Post
So here is the deal.

Over the past releases of android Google maid a habit of teasing next android versions using the phone clock (see attachment). So I guess that this year at Google I/O we will really see a new version and that is 5.0. Hope it is something breath taking as it was with the Ice Cream S.
I am really confident that our beloved Nexus will get it.

Source
i think the IO would focus on ANdroid Wear, there would be a low chance of seeing any android update announcement on the coming event,
looking here
http://techyneko.blogspot.fr/2014/06...at-google.html

you notice that the event would go highlight the G watch and Moto 360, though i wish there would be somewhat a teaser or something

stuffynet
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 369

DONATE TO ME
Looks like the new Android version is called "L".
DEVICE: LG Nexus 4 16GB
ROM: Stock Untouched

HugoSilva
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffynet View Post
Looks like the new Android version is called "L".
and maybe wonīt be released on Nexus 4, the 18 months thing that happend with galaxy nexus
Phone: LG Nexus 4
ROM:Mahdi-Rom 2.7 ROM and sometimes Android L Port

The Zel
Old
Thanks Meter 240

DONATE TO ME
The new version is being tested on a nexus 4, so why shouldn't they release it for our device?

HugoSilva
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zel View Post
The new version is being tested on a nexus 4, so why shouldn't they release it for our device?
how do you know that ?
and iīm only saying what i read in a rumor from androidpolice ( try search for the post but canīt find it sorry )
Phone: LG Nexus 4
ROM:Mahdi-Rom 2.7 ROM and sometimes Android L Port

The Zel
Old
Thanks Meter 240

DONATE TO ME
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06...issue-tracker/
The resolution of the screenshots is 1280x768, and the only device with that resolution is our nexus
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The Zel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Almayce
Old
Thanks Meter 61
OR a completely new one :P

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

TheManii
Old
(Last edited by TheManii; 24th June 2014 at 10:25 PM.)
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1506

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zel View Post
Goog generally builds most builds for every device, even ones that they have no intention at all of releasing for.

If you look at Source code tags and builds - XDA wiki at all the JRO03x builds, and then look at the individial pages and the beta rom list, you'll see that even though most build of it were for a specific device, they generally build them for every one they actively support and never release them except for the intended device.

If they decide to both:
  1. Move down to 1 major update a year, and do it in the fall
  2. Not change their ~18 months of major updates (with wiggle room for minor patches)
Then N4 won't see "L", at least not officially. If they do decice to do a major release (KK 4.5 even, doesnt have to be L), it will be the last expected major update for the N4.

We dont know what google is thinking though, nor can even they themselves know.
They dont actually make any formal statement on exactly how long they support a device

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en&ref_topic=3415518
Devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, traditionally around 18 months after a device release.
They could drop support for the N4 tomorrow if they wanted, or extend it so it gets "L" also, or even pick one and change their minds afterwards.

The fact that the GN didnt get KK has everything to do with the update window and nothing to do with the fact that TI stopped the production of OMAP SoCs.
Similar to how they both stated that "any official GB device should be compatable with ICS" and that they themselves didnt update the N1, it was beyond it's ~18mo support for major updates.

The 2012 N7 is already winding down support, when goog decided to start releasing binaries for master branch AOSP, they didnt bother including 2012 N7 binaries for it, as it would be ending support very soon (which likely will be 4.4.5 if they patch the towelroot exploit without holding the fix for 4.5/whatever, and 4.4.4 if they do not patch it for whatever reason)'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I myself do hope that they keep releasing "look ahead"/beta binaries and stuff for the n4, even if they decide to drop support for it by then.
If they do decide to not extend the N4's update status, having beta binaries is still better then not getting anything, custom roms like CM/what have you will have an easier time then if they had nothing like previous devices.
XDA Wiki Moderator
Nexus 4: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P) 2013 N7: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P)
iTouch 5G: 6.1.2 (10B146) Surface Pro 2: Win8.1u1 (6.3.9600.17085.amd64fre.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheManii For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prog19
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Its really sad, because the nexus 4 have the hardware to handle it. But custom roms will always be there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

The Following User Says Thank You to prog19 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]