Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,721 Members 51,814 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: AOSP vs CM11
AOSP: Faster, more stable 68 67.33%
CM: Faster, more stable 17 16.83%
AOSP: Faster, less stable 2 1.98%
CM: Faster, less stable 10 9.90%
AOSP: Slower, more stable 4 3.96%
CM: Slower, more stable 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

AOSP vs CM11 - Speed and Stability

Tip us?

silverton
Old
Thanks Meter 119

DONATE TO ME
I used to run CM nightlies but using ART it became a drag having to recompile all the apps every update. Now I use the M builds, stock kernel, stock clock speeds. It's fast, stable, and everything works how it should. I think I have animations set at .5x as well. Nope, .75x

I'd run AOSP, if it had a couple features that CM does.

I really like being able to change the color of the PhaseBeam wallpaper.
I really like being able to set the notification LED to a color and frequency of my choosing.
And the built in Torch app (I know it's available on the PlayStore) is a nice touch as well, and being able to set it as a drag from the bottom quick toggle.
The CM File Manager is great. Great application for those that don't want to pay for a file manager app that has root access capabilities.
And I love the cLock widget.
"Out of the box" LTE support is nice too.

Those things baked in to an AOSP rom and I'd be all over it.
T-Mobile
LG Nexus 4 (mako)
Rom: CyanogenMod 11 M8
Modem: 33/02 hybrid

Nuhro
Old
Thanks Meter 2
AOSP is defenitly faster

350Rocket
Old
Thanks Meter 62
I have the nexus 5 and my girlfriend has the n4. Hers will definitely be staying stock for stability reasons.

She is a former iPhone user who hated android. She only has the nexus because she decided to try bb10 and hated it and couldn't afford to get an iPhone again. Luckily she is happy with the nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Claudisimo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have used both and I really believe that aosp based roms are superior in stability, wish in one way or another, lead to more speed in the not so long run. CM hast more features, I personally really don't care about them....

kdellea
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Rocket View Post
I'm stock unrooted on my n5 so far, running art and no animations. Feels blazingly fast to me. I miss custom Roms for the themes and a couple features they usually include but other than that stock has been almost 100% stable even with art.

I reboot it once every week or two and saw one soft reboot the other day in the couple months I've had it, not sure what caused it.

Still trying to decide if its worth rooting and what ROM to run. I like art which rules out stock with xposed.

I've been a chronic ROM flasher on every phone I've had until this one. It just works so good I'm afraid to mess with it. Especially when I've got warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
If you like speed, velocity is the ROM. There are no gimmicky addons. Its all about the perfectly modified toolchains. So much faster than stock and 100 percent stable.

Sir_gpm
Old
Thanks Meter 141
You should try simpleAosp.....even faster than velocity for me.

Konstantinos
Old
Thanks Meter 339
CM Nightlies are really stable for me. I haven't had any force close or random reboot, even on a custom kernel. As for speed, CM11 is speedier than AOSP-based ROMs. You can see it actually.

ROM - ParanoidAndroid 4.4 RC 1 F2FS
Kernel - ak xGenesis 303
Recovery - TWRP 2.7.1.0 F2FS
Recovery Theme - Google Play Edition

I am the God in your phone. The XDA-DEV is my brain and the adb shell is my sword. I have flashed over a thousand ROMs. Unknown to errors, nor known to stock, have withstood comments from pretentious dudes from XDA, and sadly, those dudes will never learn anything. So as I pray, UNLIMITED ANDROID WORKS.

Want to make any ROM F2FS compatible? Here's my post.

sykopompos
Old
Thanks Meter 4002

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos View Post
CM Nightlies are really stable for me. I haven't had any force close or random reboot, even on a custom kernel. As for speed, CM11 is speedier than AOSP-based ROMs. You can see it actually.
It is a illusion...

Sent from my LG-D851

350Rocket
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Seems to be the majority finding aosp faster. More likely to have placebo on cm since you would expect it to be faster.

People make the effort to flash and set up cm and then go back to stock rom.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Free mobile app