[June 23] Sailfish OS for early adopters released for Nexus 4

Search This thread

RumoredNow

Feb 28, 2011
Springfield Missouri
How is the battery life?

I asked the same thing about EA3 back on page 46...

How is the battery life on EA3??? I uninstalled Sailfish EA2 after I saw tremendous battery drain when idle/screen off.

...and got an almost instant reply on that same page.

IMHO battery is good in the third release. At least for my usage

Some while later on page 48 I got a more detailed response:

This new release, v1.0.7.16, of Sailfish for Nexus 4 gives me more than a week of battery use without SIM card (no 2G or 3G), only with WiFi in most of time, light use every day. 6 days of use and it still has 33% of battery. So 11% per day. Excellent work, Jolla sailors !

Thanks. That's the kind of detailed report I was waiting for... and the sort of use I'd put my N4 to. You just kicked me in the a$$ to get flashing.

I put EA3 on my Nexus 4 yesterday and played around quite a bit. Like rclistete I'm WiFi only this round of testing. IMHO, the battery seems optimized. It's probably worth the plunge just due to Jolla Store being in the image. Remember that this is not a daily and you will enjoy the experience.

I believe I'll move my enthusiasm and testing efforts over here from Ubuntu for Devices as they just have dragged on too long trying to come up with a version they can brand and make into a public release. I also feel they have taken some wrong terns since releasing Ubuntu for Devices and have strayed too far from the original UX / UI that was promised.

Sailfish is at least a working OS out in the field via Jolla Phone. A pity I can't get the dedicated hardware here in the USA. At least I was lucky enough or smart enough to get a Nexus 4. This thing has been such a workhorse. I've flashed the stuffing out of it and it just keeps going. If Jolla gets the sensors all straightened out and the camera up and running, it might be enough to entice me away from Windows Phone as a daily driver - even without Alien Dalvik...

sledges

Nov 26, 2010
Jul21:The second Sailfish OS Hardware Adaptation Development Kit (HADK) release (EA2)

Who already seen this, here's the new PDF then skip straight to: Release Notes/Known Issues in HADK v1.0.2-EA2 below.

Welcome to the new era of mobile Linux porting! By being able to rebuild Nexus 4 image from scratch, you will be able to fix existing issues, and we will help you do it. Let's meet on #sailfishos-porters IRC for immediate support.
There you can also point us to other known Sailfish OS xda build threads of other phones.

PS: It'd also be good idea to start a HADK thread of Nexus 4, and leave this thread clean only for image testers, what do you think?

Dear early adopter of Sailfish OS for Android devices. This is important - read this whole mail through and follow all steps exactly as written.

IMPORTANT: If you choose to publish this mail through blogs, news sites, forums, or others, quote it as-is and in complete form ONLY, or people's devices may be at risk.

We are extremely happy to release the EA2 version of the Sailfish OS Hardware Adaptation Development Kit (HADK), which describes how to port Sailfish OS to existing devices based on CyanogenMod 10.1.
CM version 11.0 and AOSP versions will be supported eventually (and you can help to make this happen sooner!)

Note that Sailfish OS images you will produce by following this documentat are likely to be under Sailfish OS EULA.

We are excited to welcome you all to this adventurous porting journey. We want to build a community around Sailfish OS for Android devices that is based on mutual trust and respect for what we are all doing. Hence -- we ask that whenever you do screenshots, videos, forum or blog posts or the like (and we're happy if you do!), you emphasise that this is an work-in-progress effort and not a productised release. It is important for Jolla that correct expectations are set for those who might be users of the final product -- and that they understand what they see is not a released product.

Read through other notes in previous Nexus 4 EA image release emails, as they are all relevant (cached: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53611676&postcount=433 )

HADK manual can be downloaded from (yes, you finally reached the essential part of this announcement ;)) : http://releases.sailfishos.org/sfa-ea/2014-07-21_SailfishOSHardwareAdaptationDevelopmentKit.pdf

We will all meet in the support channel called #sailfishos-porters on irc.freenode.net and please use us (thp, alterego, Stskeeps, lbt, sledges) to work together, fix any bugs, graphical glitches or missing functionality that you find.

You are also welcome to participate in the XDA threads:
Nexus 4: http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/april-17-sailfish-os-adopters-released-t2667622/page51
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-nexus/development/project-sailfish-os-galaxy-nexus-t2648580
Generic Sailfish OS topics: http://xdaforums.com/jolla-sailfish/general
<port-your-device-xda-thread ;) >

Release Notes/Known Issues in HADK v1.0.2-EA2:
- Table of contents
- Internal and external hyperlinks
- Out-of-bound text has now been mostly wrapped
- Ubuntu chroot updated to trusty, fixes gcc issues (4.4.1)
- mer-tools now points to rolling (chapter 6)
- Improved flow when porting to new device (2.3, still not perfect :)
- What to do in fixup-mountpoints? (14.3.2)
- Explained what to do when kernel config is not complying with requirements (bottom 7.1.1, 14.3.5)
- Where to find CM's defconfig? (14.3.5)
- Local RPM repo creation fixed (7.1.2, 7.1.3)
- Possible github API rate limit workaround explained (5.3)
- Numerous bugfixes for smoother porting experience

Release Notes/Known Issues in HADK v1.0.1-EA1:
- Resulting HADK image for any device will not have Jolla Store support (whereas as official Nexus 4 >=EA3 images by Jolla have). We are still working on Jolla Store integration into HADK (aiming for Nexus 4 as very first)

Kind regards,
Simonas Leleiva (sledges) on behalf the Sailfish OS for Everyone team
Engineer @ Jolla

Reactions: jalyst

syedyasin

Mar 27, 2012
Bangalore
Samsung Galaxy S10
OnePlus 9
Who already seen this, here's the new PDF then skip straight to: Release Notes/Known Issues in HADK v1.0.2-EA2 below.

Welcome to the new era of mobile Linux porting! By being able to rebuild Nexus 4 image from scratch, you will be able to fix existing issues, and we will help you do it. Let's meet on #sailfishos-porters IRC for immediate support.
There you can also point us to other known Sailfish OS xda build threads of other phones.

PS: It'd also be good idea to start a HADK thread of Nexus 4, and leave this thread clean only for image testers, what do you think?

@sledges, any tentative day release day for EA4 or Nexus 4 ?
I am not asking exact ETA.. any planned tentative day.. :)

Sir_gpm

May 27, 2011
Managua
POCO X4 Pro
What I did many times, flash radio & bootloader, then cm rom, then sailfish....but never pass the google image. :-\

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk

deshmukhrb2000

Dec 13, 2013
SailFish in MultiROM

I got it working, but I changed the process a little bit to make it easier. All of it can be done from the recovery.
0-Have cm-10.1.3 and sailfishos on your sdcard partition
1-Install cm-10.1.3 as a secondary rom (from menu menu)
2-Flash a compatible radio image (from menu menu)
3-Rename the rom to sailfishos (all lower case)
4-Unzip the sailfishos zip file if you haven't already.
5-Extract the Sailfish root filesystem (sailfishos-mako-release-1.0.7.16-EA3.tar.bz2) to /data/media/0/multirom/roms/sailfishos
6-Make the link from /data/media/0/multirom/roms to /data/.stowaways: "ln -s /data/media/0/multirom/roms /data/.stowaways"
7-Move lib/systemd/system/system.mount to somewhere else, ex: opt/
8-Move hybris-boot.img to the root of the Sailfish filesystem and rename to boot.img (/data/media/0/multirom/roms/sailfishos)

Hi
tried the steps you given above.
But i am not able to find lib/systemd/system/system.mount, so not able to boot in sailfish OS.

Is there any easy way we found?

syedyasin

Mar 27, 2012
Bangalore
Samsung Galaxy S10
OnePlus 9

suarez1907

Aug 2, 2012
I installed ea3 before 2 hours. Now I returned miui rom. Because Sailfishos is not stable now. I suffered when I am using it. It consumes battery very fast ( I did not install any application from Jolla store) and store is very useless

zio guiduccio

Sep 18, 2013
I installed ea3 before 2 hours. Now I returned miui rom. Because Sailfishos is not stable now. I suffered when I am using it. It consumes battery very fast ( I did not install any application from Jolla store) and store is very useless

Percentages drain is not uniform, battery drain is like on android. What does it mean that's useless? It lacks apps? Isn't it working?
Exploit yourself please.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys.
    Here is the third update for Sailfish OS for Nexus 4:

Dear early adopter of SailfishOS for Android devices. This is important - read this whole mail through and follow all steps exactly as written.

IMPORTANT: If you choose to publish this mail through blogs, news sites, forums, or others, quote it as-is and in complete form ONLY, or people's devices may be at risk.

We're happy to publish the third Early Adopter Release of SailfishOS (1.0.7.16) for Nexus 4 (mako) to you.

We are still working on the SailfishOS Hardware Adaptation Development Kit, which describes how to port SailfishOS to existing devices based on CyanogenMod 10.1. Newer versions of CM will be supported eventually. We'll publish the HADK in the very near future.

This installation image is for early adopters only, meaning we know that some things are not functional or perhaps even broken -- please see the release notes below. We are excited to get all of you properly included in the early stages of the project. Do note that this SailfishOS image is strictly for personal and non-commercial usage only.

We've prepared a 'demo' version of the image which contains the kind of preinstalled 'marketing' content and the core apps used for demonstrations - this helps you quickly get a feel for all the interactions that are avalable on a device that has been used for a while but isn't really what you want for personal use. You can however cleanly remove the demo content.

We want to build a community around SailfishOS for Android devices that is based on mutual trust and respect for what we are all doing. Hence -- we ask that whenever you do screenshots, videos, forum or blog posts (and we're happy if you do!) or the like, you emphasise that this is an under-development snapshot and not a final product release.

It is important for Jolla that the correct expectations are set for those who might be users of the final product -- and that they understand what they see is not a released product. If you do demo videos, you can take advantage of our new 'demo content' image that has pre-set contacts/imagery/messages/etc to show full functionality of SailfishOS.

WARNING: Modifying or replacing your device’s software may void your device’s warranty, lead to data loss, hearing loss, hair loss, financial loss, privacy loss, security breaches, or other damage, and therefore must be done entirely at your own risk. No one affiliated with this project is responsible for your actions but yourself. Good luck.

NOTE: You will lose your on-device data (including /sdcard), so make a proper backup and make sure to copy that backup to your PC.

NOTE: Make sure to read all the release notes below. Please DO NOT contact Jolla Care for any issues encountered with this Early Adopters build, instead use communication channels listed below.

To install this release of SailfishOS on a Nexus 4 device:

* Install adb and fastboot
    a. Debian/Ubuntu: apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
    b. Fedora: yum install android-tools
    c. Mac OS X: Install Homebrew from http://brew.sh/, then: brew install android-platform-tools
    d. Windows: See http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Doc:_fastboot_intro for instructions

* Install Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39) to your Nexus 4
    a. Instructions here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#instructions
    b. Download links can be found here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occamjdq39

* Download CyanogenMod 10.1.3 for your Nexus 4
    a. Perform Factory Reset and wipe contents of the /data/ partition in case of leftovers from previous ROMs
    b. The file you want to download is cm-10.1.3-mako.zip
    c. Download links can be found here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_mako

* Download the SailfishOS for Android image for "mako"
    a. The file you want to download is http://releases.sailfishos.org/sfa-ea/sailfishos-mako-release-1.0.7.16-EA3.zip
    b. Another flavour filled with demo content: http://releases.sailfishos.org/sfa-ea/sailfishos-mako-release-1.0.7.16-EA3-demo-content.zip

* Install CyanogenMod 10.1.3 on your Nexus 4
    a. Follow the instructions at: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_mako

* After flashing the "cm-10.1.3-mako.zip" file, flash the SailfishOS .zip file in the same way ("on top of it")
    * Reboot bootloader, SailfishOS should boot and be visible

We recommend reading through http://jolla.com/guide/ -- some parts may not apply to Nexus 4

If you want to go back to normal CyanogenMod:
    a. Boot into recovery mode
    b. Choose "Wipe data / factory reset"
    c. Flash cm-10.1.3-mako.zip
    d. (to go back to SailfishOS, flash the SailfishOS .zip on top of it)

If you want to go back to stock Android:
    a. Download the stock image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occam
    b. Extract the package and follow the instructions for reflashing/re-locking

To SSH into your device via USB (Linux)
    1. Enable remote connection in Settings->System->Developer mode
    2. Set your USB interface on host machine to IP 192.168.2.2
    3. ssh nemo@192.168.2.1
    4. Use the password from developer mode to log in
    5. Use the 'devel-su' command with the same password in order to gain root
    6. To SSH over WLAN, use IP listed in developer mode under "WLAN IP address"

Read Sailfish OS release notes:
    https://together.jolla.com/question/45064/release-notes-software-version-10716-saapunki/

Release notes/Known issues in EA3:
    * EXPERIMENTAL: Jolla Store is now available, you'll need to register with your Jolla Account
    * NOTE: Booting Nexus 4 with SIM first, and then removing SIM (or vice versa) may cause Jolla Store to see it as two different devices and cause potential breakage. Please stick to either SIM available or not when running SailfishOS on Nexus 4.
    - There may be a bug with oFono RIL support that makes it not report IMEI value causing this and will be sorted out in a later update.
    * DISCLAIMER: Using Jolla Store with Jolla Account might break applications on your other devices, use it at your own risk!
    * Android support is not available from the Store, even if you can see Android apps listed (those will be removed eventually from store view)
    * This functionality means that image comes with only minimal set of pre-installed apps. Use Store to download the ones you need.

* The backlight is dark during first launch, but can be fix by switching the currently-not-working ambient light sensor off (uncheck Settings->System->Display->Adjust automatically)

* When display is blanked, power management sets WLAN to the lowest speed state
    * Can be noticed in a SSH-over-WLAN session
    * Chat notifications may arrive with a slight delay

Fixes after EA2:
    * Watermark removed
    * Phone-call audio volume can now be changed with the help of volume buttons
    * Improved responsiveness when waking phone up with the power button
    * Settings->System->Developer Mode or About Product do not freeze anymore
    * Reverted to the original (non-Silica) Fingerterm

Fixes after EA1:
    * Phone-calls with audio work
    * Timers and alarms (with device powered on) work
    * HTML5 video+audio works in Browser (tested splash on http://jolla.com )
    * Update is based on SailfishOS version 1.0.5.16

Release notes/Known issues in EA2:
    * To securely power off the device, during its boot-up keep Volume Down pressed to enter bootloader mode. Using volume keys, select "Power off" option, then press the Power key
    * If not auto-detected from SIM, set-up mobile internet data settings via Settings->System->Mobile network->(long tap on the first toggle-item under "Mobile data" section)->(enter settings given by your operator)

Nexus4-specific known issues reported by the adopters (in EA2):
    * Chinese text input not working
    * Localhost name is shown as Jolla
    * Switching between the online and offline status in the status information setting takes very long and often doesn’t switch properly
    * Google contacts which are put together with different information, are now split up into several contacts in Sailfish
    * The battery display seems to be a bit buggy because it loses about 15% from one second to another
    * The calendar overview when filled with events seems to be a bit laggy
    * The email push is not working correctly, I do not receive any emails until I push the refresh button
    * Splitting words in the German translation: e.g. in the open apps on the home screen it says: "Kurzzeitmesse" and in the next line the missing "r"
    * NOTE: all other Sailfish OS issues have already been reported on TJC - http://together.jolla.com - and many of them were fixed in this 1.0.5.16 release

Release notes/Known Issues in EA1:
    * Developer mode is activated at all times
    * There has been no throughout testing of telephony related functionality (roaming, airplane mode, etc) and any use of this functionality is at your own risk
    * Sensors, Device lock, Reset device, Bluetooth, USB control + MTP, Bluetooth, WLAN hotspot, Camera (photography, video recording), and video playback is not supported in this release
    * The image SW is not currently upgradeable, nor is any typically licensed multimedia codecs (MP3, etc), HERE maps, Android application compatibility layer, or word prediction for virtual keyboard preinstalled
    * This image does not include any typically licensed multimedia codecs (MP3, etc), HERE maps, Android application compatibility layer, Microsoft Exchange support, or word prediction for virtual keyboard preinstalled
    * It is not possible to double-tap to wake up the device
    * Powering off device puts it into a state of deep slumber; possible to get out of by holding power button and volume down key with a bit of persistence
    * Fingerterm keyboard is not at its best due to the portrait-only mode
    * FPS drop while scrolling in homescreen due to non-batching when rendering of application icon grid
    * Icons/graphics appear unproportionally small in browser toolbar, time select widget, and Settings favourite icons
    * Multiboot/Multirom is not supported yet but we're happy if you would like to teach/help us

We will all meet in #sailfishos-porters (note, new location) on irc.freenode.net and please use us (thp, alterego, Stskeeps, lbt, sledges) to work together, report any bugs, graphical glitches or missing functionality that you find, which are not included in the release notes above. You can also find the hardware adaptation source code at http://github.com/mer-hybris .

You are also welcome to participate in threads at http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general about Nexus 4 and SailfishOS as well as for more general SailfishOS topics at http://xdaforums.com/jolla-sailfish/general

Best regards,
    Carsten Munk (Stskeeps) on behalf of the SailfishOS for Everyone team.
    Chief Research Engineer @ Jolla

Video: Watch Sailfish OS on Nexus 4
    ====

Video: Watch Sailfish OS on SGS III 4G (i9305)
    ====
    Video: Watch Sailfish OS Launcher for Android Beta
    ====
    Might as well post my e-mail here (Hi, Carsten Munk here..)

I can encourage people to sign up as early adopters in general, so we know who you are and well, easier to work together :) See IRC information in end of mail.

Dear early adopter of SailfishOS for Android devices. This is important - read this whole mail through and follow all steps exactly as written.

We're happy to publish the second Early Adopter Release of SailfishOS (1.0.5.16) for Nexus 4 (mako) to you.

In the coming weeks, we'll also be publishing images for Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (i9305) and we'll be delivering updated images as we go along for each device as hardware support improves.

We are also working on the SailfishOS Hardware Adaptation Development Kit, which describes how to port SailfishOS to existing devices based on CyanogenMod 10.1. Newer versions of CM will be supported eventually. We'll publish the HADK in the near future.

This installation image is for early adopters only, meaning we know that some things are not functional or perhaps even broken -- please see the release notes below. We are excited to get all of you properly included in the early stages of the project. Do note that this SailfishOS image is strictly for personal and non-commercial usage only.

We've prepared a 'demo' version of the image which contains the kind of preinstalled 'marketing' content used for demonstrations - this helps you quickly get a feel for all the interactions that are avalable on a device that has been used for a while but isn't really what you want for personal use. You can however cleanly remove the demo content.

We want to build a community around SailfishOS for Android devices that is based on mutual trust and respect for what we are all doing. Hence -- we ask that whenever you do screenshots, videos, forum or blog posts (and we're happy if you do!) or the like, you emphasise that this is an under-development snapshot and not a final product release. It is important for Jolla that the correct expectations are set for those who might be users of the final product -- and that they understand what they see is not a released product. If you do demo videos, you can take advantage of our new 'demo content' image that has pre-set contacts/imagery/messages/etc to show full functionality of SailfishOS.

WARNING: Modifying or replacing your device’s software may void your device’s warranty, lead to data loss, hearing loss, hair loss, financial loss, privacy loss, security breaches, or other damage, and therefore must be done entirely at your own risk. No one affiliated with this project is responsible for your actions but yourself. Good luck.

NOTE: You will lose your on-device data (including /sdcard), so make a proper backup and make sure to copy that backup to your PC.

c. Mac OS X: Install Homebrew from http://brew.sh/, then: brew install android-platform-tools
    d. Windows: See http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Doc:_fastboot_intro for instructions

a. Instructions here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#instructions
    b. Download links can be found here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occamjdq39

a. The file you want to download is cm-10.1.3-mako.zip
    b. Download links can be found here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_mako

a. The file you want to download is http://releases.sailfishos.org/sfa-ea/sailfishos-mako-release-1.0.5.16-EA2.zip
    b. Another flavour filled with demo content: http://releases.sailfishos.org/sfa-ea/sailfishos-mako-release-1.0.5.16-EA2-demo-content.zip

a. Follow the instructions at: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_mako

* After flashing the "cm-10.1.3-mako.zip" file, flash the SailfishOS .zip file in the same way ("on top of it")

We recommend reading through http://jolla.com/guide/ -- some parts may not apply to Nexus 4

a. Download the stock image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occam

3. ssh nemo@192.168.2.1

Fixes since EA1:

Release notes and Known issues for Early Adopter Release 2 for mako/Nexus 4:
    * To securely power off the device, during its boot-up keep Volume Down pressed to enter bootloader mode. Using volume keys, select "Power off" option, then press the Power key
    * Settings->System->Developer Mode or About Product may freeze a bit, but resumes normal operation shortly (after display blanking)
    * If not auto-detected from SIM, set-up mobile internet data settings via Settings->System->Mobile network->(long tap on the first toggle-item under "Mobile data" section)->(enter settings given by your operator)
    * Phone-call audio volume does not change with volume buttons

Nexus4-specific known issues reported by the adopters:
    * Localhost name is shown as Jolla (this is intentional)
    * Switching between the online and offline status in the status information setting takes very long and often doesn’t switch properly
    * Google contacts which are put together with different information, are now split up into several contacts in Sailfish
    * The battery display seems to be a bit buggy because it loses about 15% from one second to another
    * The email push is not working correctly, I do not receive any emails until I push the refresh button
    * Splitting words in the German translation: e.g. in the open apps on the home screen it says: "Kurzzeitmesse" and in the next line the missing "r"
    * NOTE: all other Sailfish OS issues have already been reported on TJC - http://together.jolla.com - and many of them were fixed in this 1.0.5.16 release

Release notes/Known Issues since Release 1:
    * We have a subtle watermark underneath the UI at all times stating "SailfishOS development software" "This is not production quality". Developer mode is activated at all times
    * There has been no throughout testing of telephony related functionality (roaming, airplane mode, etc) and any use of this functionality is at your own risk
    * Sensors, Device lock, Reset device, Bluetooth, USB control + MTP, Bluetooth, WLAN hotspot, Camera (photography, video recording), and video playback is not supported in this release
    * Jolla account / Store is removed from the image due to problems with registering with Jolla infrastructure
    * The image SW is not currently upgradeable, nor is any typically licensed multimedia codecs (MP3, etc), HERE maps, Android application compatibility layer, or word prediction for virtual keyboard preinstalled
    * Powering off device puts it into a state of deep slumber; possible to get out of by holding power button and volume down key with a bit of persistence
    * Fingerterm application may fail to launch during first attempts, and the keyboard is not at its best due to the portrait-only mode
    * FPS drop while scrolling in homescreen due to non-batching when rendering of application icon grid
    * Icons/graphics appear unproportionally small in browser toolbar, time select widget, and Settings favourite icons
    * Multiboot/Multirom is not supported yet but we're happy if you would like to teach/help us.

Please join IRC, channel #sailfishos on irc.freenode.net (http://webchat.freenode.net for web chat) and please use us (thp, alterego, Stskeeps, lbt, sledges) to work together, report any bugs, graphical glitches or missing functionality that you find, which are not included in the release notes above. You can also find the hardware adaptation source code at http://github.com/mer-hybris .

You are also welcome to participate in threads at http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general about Nexus 4 and SailfishOS as well as for more general SailfishOS topics at http://xdaforums.com/jolla-sailfish/general

Best regards,
    Carsten Munk (Stskeeps) on behalf of the SailfishOS for Android devices team
    You CAN run this via multiROM, but not with automatic switching during boot up options.

You have to make Sailfish OS the primary ROM choice to boot Sailfish and then it boots only Sailfish - no options. Then switch back to your Android flavor as primary boot to get all other options EXCEPT Sailfish on your boot choice menu.

It's all laid out somewhere back around pages 28 - 36 of this thread by the few people who worked it out.

True multiROM integration is not here and, so far as I know, not a priority.

What would you rather the Jolla Devs spent their time on; multiROM or HADK? I only have a Nexus 4 to flash and I vote HADK. That seems to be the priority and who could blame them? They want to bring other devices into the community.

I've gotten Sailfish to work as a second option in MultiROM, so I can switch without swapping primary/secondary ROMs. It wasn't very easy though - I had to do a lot of manual moving files around and change a few other things to make it work. Here's the process:

As root:
    1) Extract the Sailfish root filesystem (sailfishos-mako-release-1.0.7.16-EA3.tar.bz2) to /data/media/0/multirom/roms/sailfishos
    2) Make a link from /data/media/0/multirom/roms to /data/.stowaways: "ln -s /data/media/0/multirom/roms /data/.stowaways"
    3) Convince MultiROM that Sailfish is an Android ROM: "cd /data/.stowaways/sailfishos && mkdir system data cache"
    4) Convince Sailfish that you're running CM10.1:
    4a) Download a suitable modem/radio firmware image (I used an 84/33 hybrid modem), move it to /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/firmware.img, and edit lib/systemd/system/firmware.mount to change /dev/mmcblk0p1 to /firmware.img
    4b) Download cm-10.1.3-mako.zip, unzip in the sailfishos folder, remove the META-INF folder, and make everything in system/bin and system/xbin executable.
    5) Move lib/systemd/system/system.mount somewhere else (e.g. /opt) and make sure it doesn't get recreated if you decide to update Sailfish
    6) Move hybris-boot.img to the root of the Sailfish filesystem and rename to boot.img (overwriting the CM one if necessary)

I don't recommend this as a permanent solution - it's very hackish and updates will probably break it terribly. That being said, to my knowledge, when an update is released, all you have to do to update - again, this is not recommended and it might result in a non-booting Sailfish - is the following: Extract the tar.bz2 to your sailfishos folder, update the kernel (step 6), and make sure the firmware.img (radio/modem) and system mounts (systemd .mount files, steps 4a and 5) are correct.

It's very tedious and ugly, but it works if you know what you're doing and you're dying to try out Sailfish without changing your current Android setup.
    And in a first, posting this at same time as I'm mailing it out:

We're happy to publish the third Early Adopter Release of SailfishOS (1.0.7.16) for Nexus 4 (mako) to you.

We are still working on the SailfishOS Hardware Adaptation Development Kit, which describes how to port SailfishOS to existing devices based on CyanogenMod 10.1. Newer versions of CM will be supported eventually. We'll publish the HADK in the very near future.

We've prepared a 'demo' version of the image which contains the kind of preinstalled 'marketing' content and the core apps used for demonstrations - this helps you quickly get a feel for all the interactions that are avalable on a device that has been used for a while but isn't really what you want for personal use. You can however cleanly remove the demo content.

We want to build a community around SailfishOS for Android devices that is based on mutual trust and respect for what we are all doing. Hence -- we ask that whenever you do screenshots, videos, forum or blog posts (and we're happy if you do!) or the like, you emphasise that this is an under-development snapshot and not a final product release.

It is important for Jolla that the correct expectations are set for those who might be users of the final product -- and that they understand what they see is not a released product. If you do demo videos, you can take advantage of our new 'demo content' image that has pre-set contacts/imagery/messages/etc to show full functionality of SailfishOS.

NOTE: Make sure to read all the release notes below. Please DO NOT contact Jolla Care for any issues encountered with this Early Adopters build, instead use communication channels listed below.

a. Perform Factory Reset and wipe contents of the /data/ partition in case of leftovers from previous ROMs
    b. The file you want to download is cm-10.1.3-mako.zip
    c. Download links can be found here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_mako

a. The file you want to download is http://releases.sailfishos.org/sfa-ea/sailfishos-mako-release-1.0.7.16-EA3.zip
    b. Another flavour filled with demo content: http://releases.sailfishos.org/sfa-ea/sailfishos-mako-release-1.0.7.16-EA3-demo-content.zip

3. ssh nemo@192.168.2.1

Read Sailfish OS release notes:
    https://together.jolla.com/question/45064/release-notes-software-version-10716-saapunki/

Release notes/Known issues in EA3:
    * EXPERIMENTAL: Jolla Store is now available, you'll need to register with your Jolla Account
    * NOTE: Booting Nexus 4 with SIM first, and then removing SIM (or vice versa) may cause Jolla Store to see it as two different devices and cause potential breakage. Please stick to either SIM available or not when running SailfishOS on Nexus 4.
    - There may be a bug with oFono RIL support that makes it not report IMEI value causing this and will be sorted out in a later update.
    * DISCLAIMER: Using Jolla Store with Jolla Account might break applications on your other devices, use it at your own risk!
    * Android support is not available from the Store, even if you can see Android apps listed (those will be removed eventually from store view)
    * This functionality means that image comes with only minimal set of pre-installed apps. Use Store to download the ones you need.

* The backlight is dark during first launch, but can be fix by switching the currently-not-working ambient light sensor off (uncheck Settings->System->Display->Adjust automatically)

* When display is blanked, power management sets WLAN to the lowest speed state
    * Can be noticed in a SSH-over-WLAN session

Fixes after EA2:
    * Watermark removed
    * Phone-call audio volume can now be changed with the help of volume buttons
    * Improved responsiveness when waking phone up with the power button
    * Settings->System->Developer Mode or About Product do not freeze anymore
    * Reverted to the original (non-Silica) Fingerterm

Fixes after EA1:

Release notes/Known issues in EA2:

Nexus4-specific known issues reported by the adopters (in EA2):
    * Localhost name is shown as Jolla

Release notes/Known Issues in EA1:
    * Developer mode is activated at all times
    * This image does not include any typically licensed multimedia codecs (MP3, etc), HERE maps, Android application compatibility layer, Microsoft Exchange support, or word prediction for virtual keyboard preinstalled
    * Fingerterm keyboard is not at its best due to the portrait-only mode
    * Multiboot/Multirom is not supported yet but we're happy if you would like to teach/help us

We will all meet in #sailfishos-porters (note, new location) on irc.freenode.net and please use us (thp, alterego, Stskeeps, lbt, sledges) to work together, report any bugs, graphical glitches or missing functionality that you find, which are not included in the release notes above. You can also find the hardware adaptation source code at http://github.com/mer-hybris .

Best regards,
    Carsten Munk (Stskeeps) on behalf of the SailfishOS for Everyone team.
    I was talking to Sledges (The guy of Jolla who is porting Sailfish OS to Nexus 4) and he told me he is now focusing on making Wlan and sensors fully working (become green) and after that he will take care of red ones. He also said that Sailfish OS will be released soon for Nexus 4.