Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,687 Members 40,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Article (theverge): Why the Nexus 4 does not have LTE or CDMA

Tip us?

ap3604
Old
(Last edited by ap3604; 30th October 2012 at 01:27 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 433
Default Article (theverge): Why the Nexus 4 does not have LTE or CDMA

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...ot-have-4g-lte

Pretty good article explaining why lte on a Nexus 4 doesn't make any sense for any potential whiners out there
Quote:
Google wants direct control of the software on Nexus devices with no carrier intervention. That alone means Google can't sell an LTE device, as there's simply no access to LTE networks without working with carriers in one way or another: Verizon and Sprint's LTE networks still require compatibility with their 3G CDMA systems, and there's essentially no such thing as an unlocked CDMA device. AT&T's fledgling LTE network runs on different frequencies than other LTE networks around the world, so Google would have to build a custom phone for just 77 markets in the US. Doing that without AT&T's financial assistance makes little sense.
Also it explains it pretty well why they didn't make the same mistake by going CDMA like they did on the Galaxy Nexus.
Quote:
And there's precious little to suggest working with carriers is even in Google's best interests, or in the best interests of Nexus customers. The Galaxy Nexus was announced last year with a promised LTE version on Verizon, but the carrier held back releasing the phone for months to promote its own Droid RAZR instead. Google eventually grew tired of waiting and sent unlocked HSPA+ devices to reviewers. And software updates for Nexus phones sold through carriers have been problematic as well: it took the Verizon three full months to disseminate the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update to its Galaxy Nexus, slightly longer than Sprint.

Ajfink
Old
Thanks Meter 132
All accurate, a good summary.

With its pricing of the Nexus 4 and lack of LTE, Google is quite clearly giving US carriers the finger. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if a CDMA/LTE version appeared for Verizon and Sprint, but LTE doesn't really matter that much if you get decent 3G/3.5G/HSPA+ whatever you want to call it (i.e., not Verizon or Sprint 3G).

Really, anything over a few Mbps is enough for me...but I know other people use their phones differently.