FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Black screen of death: Android 4.3 + Netflix

1,333 posts
Thanks Meter: 390

By Luxferro, Senior Member on 25th July 2013, 04:54 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Stock Google Android 4.3( JWR66V) and running the Netflix app at all will put your phone into a sleep of death (black screen, frozen phone). You don't even need to play a movie in Netflix, just launch the app once since rebooting the phone and it will happen. Netflix is aware of the issue, as can be seen here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post43950299

edit: I don't have this issue with AOSP 4.3 roms. So it may already be fixed.

According to this thread there are many differences, especially for the kernel between JSS15J and JWR66V. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2382880
Last edited by Luxferro; 2nd August 2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Editing the first post so mods stop moving it to Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting, where it doesn't not belong
The Following User Says Thank You to Luxferro For This Useful Post: [ View ]

25th July 2013, 05:19 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxferro

I keep getting a black screen of death after launching netflix (july 22nd, version 2.4.0 build 939) on Android 4.3 and letting the screen sleep. It's happened about 5x now to me. I didn't play a movie. Just displayed the page with the movie tiles and let phone site. Another time I exited netflix but it still happened after the screen went to sleep.

Can anyone who has the official 4.3 on their Nexus 4 and is a Netflix user check this out for me? I'd like to know if I'm a one-off case before I do a complete wipe and start fresh.

Same thing here. I've uninstalled the Netflix; no more hangups on Nexus 4.

Everything works fine on nexus 7
25th July 2013, 05:31 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Just happened to me too. Had to press power and volume down to do anything, phone was completely unresponsive

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by otariq; 25th July 2013 at 06:17 AM.
25th July 2013, 05:32 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Confirmed here as well
25th July 2013, 05:43 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 282

More
Works fine for me...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
25th July 2013, 05:43 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Long Island, NY

More
K, thanks guys. I gave it one star in the play store with a description how to reproduce the bug. If enough people do it maybe they'll fix it soon.
25th July 2013, 05:44 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Long Island, NY

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirgeExtinction

Works fine for me...

Reread the OP. I didn't say to play a movie. In any even, wait till you put your phone down and the screen sleeps
25th July 2013, 05:58 AM |#8  
Flag Bayamon
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Reread the OP. I didn't say to play a movie. In any even, wait till you put your phone down and the screen sleeps

Hmm maybe that's why I was getting sleep of death on 4.3 I had Netflix too, but I gave up and went back to CM :S
25th July 2013, 06:59 AM |#9  
Flag Nastola
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Just had black screen of dearh after exiting netflix.. Hope they fix it soon..

25th July 2013, 08:18 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Yup... same thing.
I had it happened twice... once yesterday and again earlier today (I was checking for chromecast functionality).
I didn't know what caused it until I saw this thread.
I have just confirmed that this is also true with my phone.
25th July 2013, 08:26 PM |#11  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,300

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

K, thanks guys. I gave it one star in the play store with a description how to reproduce the bug. If enough people do it maybe they'll fix it soon.

Giving a app a one star rating doesn't get Netflix to fix your issue right away, dude. Just send them a email on how to reproduce instead of giving them one star.

Its what 'we' get for getting first dibs on Android 4.3 when <5% of the Android population isn't even on 4.3. Were the guinea pigs, plus 4.3 just came out yesterday. Its still very relatively new.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread