Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,110 Members 41,352 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bloatware Law in South Korea says it must be deletable by April 2014

Tip us?

aleks_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Default Bloatware Law in South Korea says it must be deletable by April 2014

The 4 main wireless providers here in the US should take notice of this move by South Korea. South Korea has enacted a law that states all bloatware must be deletable/uninstallable by the users as of April 2014. That means if a user doesn't want unnecessary bloatware, they can remove it from their phones without any hassle. Why don't wireless providers here in the U.S. do this? This would make subscribers happy all across the board.

http://m.digitaltrends.com/mobile/so...-be-deletable/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aleks_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johmama
Old
Thanks Meter 275

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks_ View Post
Why don't wireless providers here in the U.S. do this?
1. Because they can get away with it.
2. Because they don't care about the customer.
3. Because what are you going to do if you don't like it? Not have a cellphone? In 2014? Good luck with that.

Take your pick. Those are all reasons why they won't unless the government steps in and does something like South Korea's did. Just wish the government wasn't run by a bunch of corrupt politicians who get sweet benefits from giant corporations in return for gutting some legislature they don't like or whatever else goes on behind closed doors.

Nuu~
Old
Thanks Meter 85
As long as your government is being paid by corporations and run by lobbyists, nothing that somehow harms said corporations will change.
It's sad but true, unfortunately.

Richieboy67
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
What drives me crazy really is the app permissions. So many of them want to know everything and run in the background.

I really wish Google and Amazon would have some rules.

It has been years since I've had an Apple device. Are their apps filled with spyware also?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

FuryFlames
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieboy67 View Post
What drives me crazy really is the app permissions. So many of them want to know everything and run in the background.

I really wish Google and Amazon would have some rules.

It has been years since I've had an Apple device. Are their apps filled with spyware also?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Carriers aren't even allowed to touch the iPhones. No markings no additional apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to FuryFlames For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]