Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,956 Members 48,557 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DISCUSSION] Google Nexus 4 vs any other phone

Tip us?

juicyjones
Old
Thanks Meter 77

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [DISCUSSION] Google Nexus 4 vs any other phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rk50ul View Post
You guys realize the iPhone is fast because it runs an extremely basic OS right? Hell even increasing screen size would slow it down I bet. Put android 4.2.1 on an iPhone 5 and let me know how fast it is.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
That's totally false. The iPhone 5 runs iOS, which is based on OS 10's Berkeley Mach kernel unix. It only takes one google search to find out facts, calling iOS basic is just ignorant. That same google search will tell you that the iPhone iOS and custom made chipset is heavily optimized for gpu operations. Another reason is that Apple took four years to hand-draw the entire wafer. Four years of painstaking manual engineering. The iPhone is fast for a reason.

// Nexus 4 ( PA / Franco ) // Nexus 7 2013 ( CM ) //
The Following User Says Thank You to juicyjones For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

friend'scatdied
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyjones View Post
That's totally false. The iPhone 5 runs iOS, which is based on OS 10's Berkeley Mach kernel unix. It only takes one google search to find out facts, calling iOS basic is just ignorant. That same google search will tell you that the iPhone iOS and custom made chipset is heavily optimized for gpu operations. Another reason is that Apple took four years to hand-draw the entire wafer. Four years of painstaking manual engineering. The iPhone is fast for a reason.

Nevermind the fact that the iPhone 5's GPU is more robust than the GPU inside any Android smartphone to-date. The iPhone 4S's GPU was also more powerful than that inside any Android smartphone at the time, and I believe this contemporaneous graphical superiority extends back to the iPhone 4 as well.

In fact I believe the iPhone 4S's GPU is still more powerful than what's inside the best Android handsets today..
HTC HD2 T9193→Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250M→LG Google Nexus 4 E960→Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-T889

Alaris
Old
Thanks Meter 16

Ugh I have a note 2 which I love but lately have had the itch to get a nexus 4. I feel like owning two phones would be kind of siy though lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

pakure
Old
Thanks Meter 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
Ugh I have a note 2 which I love but lately have had the itch to get a nexus 4. I feel like owning two phones would be kind of siy though lol.

That's why I got two nexus 4... gifted one to brother and another to wife. ..I keep tinkering with them at weekends. ... but can't let go of my note 2

scribbled from "the phab" (the note 2 -N7100)
my androids

10 incher: ASUS Transformer 300 pad (with dock) with stock 4.2.1

8 incher: GALAXY NOTE 8 (N5100)

7 incher : NEXUS 7(2013)

5.5 incher: GALAXY NOTE 2 (N7100): the BE(A)ST phone: ditto note3 v5

4.3 incher: HTC HD2 : pdaimatejam's WP7.8 on nand and tungsten's CM 10.1 based rom on native sd

OTHER: CHROMECAST

also supporting two nexus' 4 at home (brother's and my wife's)

davidstech11
Old
Thanks Meter 38

The iPhone 5 GPU is not all that much better than the Adreno 320. And it should be able to push a few more fps especially since it can't and does not put out HD content. It has to be down scaled when playing on the iPhone.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

dodgebizkit
Old
Thanks Meter 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.m0x View Post
I don't resent the S3, nor do I despise the iPhone particularly (although Apple themselves are a different story). I'd rather have a less mainstream device for my personal use though.

What other people kuje shoukdbt positively or negatively affect what you like. You can't eat cake because everyone loves it, stick to sour kraut or sprouts lol - s3 is a brilliant phone, as is the nexus. The iphone also is but i feel very patronised by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyjones View Post

Ios may have a complex kernel but it is basic in function (slide icons left to right, pop up a notification, open the app) and the only thing slowing it down is the animations that aren't necessary now that hardware is more than the power of a Casio watch (ie the first 2 gen I phones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post
Nevermind the fact that the iPhone 5's GPU is more robust than the GPU inside any Android smartphone to-date. The iPhone 4S's GPU was also more powerful than that inside any Android smartphone at the time, and I believe this contemporaneous graphical superiority extends back to the iPhone 4 as well.

In fact I believe the iPhone 4S's GPU is still more powerful than what's inside the best Android handsets today..
4s + are built to be powerhouses
The 4 uses the same GPU as 3gs but 4x as many pixels so its arguably worse in that department, though it had a significant boost in processor (not number wise but in archrtecture).

-------------------------------------
Sent from my Nokia 3310

friend'scatdied
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstech11 View Post
The iPhone 5 GPU is not all that much better than the Adreno 320. And it should be able to push a few more fps especially since it can't and does not put out HD content. It has to be down scaled when playing on the iPhone.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
There's like one offscreen Egypt HD test where I think the Adreno 320 beat the iPhone 5 by a slim margin -- in the majority of tests it seems the GPU in the 5 beats the Adreno 320 by over 27%, often well over 50% and sometimes close to 100%.
HTC HD2 T9193→Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250M→LG Google Nexus 4 E960→Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-T889

dr.m0x
Old
Thanks Meter 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgebizkit View Post
What other people kuje shoukdbt positively or negatively affect what you like. You can't eat cake because everyone loves it, stick to sour kraut or sprouts lol - s3 is a brilliant phone, as is the nexus. The iphone also is but i feel very patronised by it

Sent from my Nokia 3310

I'm sorry but I don't speak Swedish. If you are saying cake is better than sprouts, I'd beg to differ. You will soon be very fat if you try to live off cake, but sprouts are nutritious.

The Note 3 is a beast

BennyJr
Old
Thanks Meter 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaris View Post

I'm with this guy. Luckily cm10.1 is getting better for the note.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

juicyjones
Old
Thanks Meter 77

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgebizkit View Post
What other people kuje shoukdbt positively or negatively affect what you like. You can't eat cake because everyone loves it, stick to sour kraut or sprouts lol - s3 is a brilliant phone, as is the nexus. The iphone also is but i feel very patronised by it.

Ios may have a complex kernel but it is basic in function (slide icons left to right, pop up a notification, open the app) and the only thing slowing it down is the animations that aren't necessary now that hardware is more than the power of a Casio watch (ie the first 2 gen I phones)

4s + are built to be powerhouses
The 4 uses the same GPU as 3gs but 4x as many pixels so its arguably worse in that department, though it had a significant boost in processor (not number wise but in archrtecture).

Sent from my Nokia 3310
I see now that you clearly don't really understand how all these devices work.

// Nexus 4 ( PA / Franco ) // Nexus 7 2013 ( CM ) //