5,604,443 Members 48,490 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DISCUSSION] Google Nexus 4 vs any other phone

Tip us?

eiriklf
Old
(Last edited by eiriklf; 24th February 2013 at 02:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
What? Who?
Anything with an S4 Pro or Snapdragon 600 (and to some degree the iPhone 5) is a big step ahead of the S III in my mind. By the time the HTC One is out that should be pretty much all the big smartphone manufacturers. All those devices have way more powerful GPUs, and all use new CPU architectures. But the S III does run very well considering its limited resources. Still, the Xperia Z and the HTC one pretty much obliterate it:
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z-review-887p5.php
http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-one-ben...low-your-mind/

(The only exception is sunspider, which for some reason doesn't seem to run very well on android devices using quallcomm chips.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post
The best part about the Nexus 4 vs. the new competition is that it has the same Adreno 320 powering less than half the pixels. It will generally offer superior gaming performance.
Also they can make the device smaller, since most of the 1080p devices have larger screens, and we get the extra wide aspect ratio.

barondebxl
Old
(Last edited by barondebxl; 24th February 2013 at 02:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1231
Default Re: [DISCUSSION] Google Nexus 4 vs any other phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiriklf View Post
Anything with an S4 Pro or Snapdragon 600 (and to some degree the iPhone 5) is a big step ahead of the S III in my mind. By the time the HTC One is out that should be pretty much all the big smartphone manufacturers. All those devices have way more powerful GPUs, and all use new CPU architectures. But the S III does run very well considering its limited resources. Still, the Xperia Z and the HTC one pretty much obliterate it:
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z-review-887p5.php
http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-one-ben...low-your-mind/

(The only exception is sunspider, which for some reason doesn't seem to run very well on android devices using quallcomm chips.)
Well that's how it usually works. Newer technologies are more powerful. When you say S3 competitors, I mainly think of the One X, Iphone 5, Lumia 920, 8x, that generation. The S3 is a better package than all of them and has sold much more in exception of the Iphone. Of course the HTC one, XpEria Z are more powerful, they are this year flagship devices. You should compare them with the upcoming galaxy s IV when it comes out. The fact that you even compare the S3 to these phones proves that it's a great devices of its own ( just saying )

Ps: Nexus 4 and optimus g are more powerful than the S3 yes.

Sent from my 3rd Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Current Device: Nexus 7 2013

Recently Owned

Iphone 5S

LG G Flex

Galaxy Note3

LG G2

eiriklf
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
Well that's how it usually works. Newer technologies are more powerful. When you say S3 competitors, I mainly think of the One X, Iphone 5, Lumia 920, 8x, that generation. The S3 is a better package than all of them and has sold much more in exception of the Iphone. Of course the HTC one, XpEria Z are more powerful, they are this year flagship devices. You should compare them with the upcoming galaxy s IV when it comes out. The fact that you even compare the S3 to these phones proves that it's a great devices of its own ( just saying )

Ps: Nexus 4 and optimus g are more powerful than the S3 yes.
I said the S III is currently being monstered, not that it has been throughout it's lifetime, and I said so because it means that they needed to bring out an update now, rather than wait, which was the alternative.

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1231

Quote:
I said the S III is currently being monstered, not that it has been throughout it's lifetime, and I said so because it means that they needed to bring out an update now, rather than wait, which was the alternative.
Yeah true, but it's still sells relatively well and I think it still will after the S IV is released (which shouldn't be too long now).

Sent from my 3rd Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Current Device: Nexus 7 2013

Recently Owned

Iphone 5S

LG G Flex

Galaxy Note3

LG G2

Patrick2205
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Coming from Samsung Nexus S to Nexus 4 and really like it so much No more stuttering when a few apps are installed
I do not care about Headphone Jack on top or bottom like some others here. Everything is great

Kawaisa
Old
(Last edited by Kawaisa; 24th February 2013 at 09:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 180
Well after using the N4 for a few days, I'll have to be going back to the N2 as my main device. The Nexus' screen is nice and it's a beautiful device in terms of aesthetics but I just miss getting 6 hours of screen time.
Motorola V300 > Sony Ericsson K700i > Panasonic VS3 > Sony Ericsson W850i > HTC G1 > iPhone 2G > Samsung Vibrant > Samsung Galaxy S2 > HTC One S > Samsung Galaxy Note II + LG Nexus 4> Samsung Galaxy S3 > Samsung Note 3

gotjazz
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Default AW: [DISCUSSION] Google Nexus 4 vs any other phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaisa View Post
Well after using the N4 for a few days, I'll have to be going back to the N2 as my main device. The Nexus' screen is nice and it's a beautiful device in terms of aesthetics but I just miss getting 6 hours of screen time.
While of course six hours are great I sometimes wonder who has the time to use their phone for that amount of time anyway....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

eiriklf
Old
(Last edited by eiriklf; 24th February 2013 at 10:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
The first tegra 4 benchmarks are out, nVidia delivers. I doubt the snapdragon 800 will be able to keep up with that, and even the exynos 5 octa will struggle to match that GPU. My guess is Tegra 4 phones are probably not going to show up until the second half of this year, though.

BennyJr
Old
Thanks Meter 208

Quote:
The first tegra 4 benchmarks are out, nVidia delivers. I doubt the snapdragon 800 will be able to keep up with that, and even the exynos 5 octa will struggle to match that GPU. My guess is Tegra 4 phones are probably not going to show up until the second half of this year, though.
I doubt a tegra 4 phone will show up at all this year. They said the 4i phones will come out late this year.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dr.m0x
Old
Thanks Meter 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaisa View Post
I've gotten five and a half on my nexus 4, on Wi-Fi and with a custom kernel. I know what you mean though, apart from the large battery in that phone Samsung are really getting good at making battery life stretch. Hence why I'm using a galaxy s3 right now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
The Note 3 is a beast