Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,416 Members 39,878 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DRIVERS] Nexus 4 Driver for Windows

Tip us?

Stryder5
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
Plugged device via USB lead to Windows 7 desktop...device recognised as Nexus 4 or MTP USB device, but drivers fail to install with error message, 'device is unplugged', even when plugged in. Even if I try plugging in, in developer mode it goes into a continual loop of trying to install drivers, but failing and therefore no record of it in device manager where it continually appears and disappears.. If I go into bootloader and plug in, WIndows 7 recognises the bootloader state and installs correct drivers for it.
Are you using the cable that came with the phone? If not, try using it.

Also, when you uinstall the drivers, did you check the box that said to delete it as well?
Current Phone: Google Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
ROM: Mahdi w/ BaNkS Gapps || Radio: KTU84P Radio || Kernel: ElementalX 1.00
Mods: None || Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.1

Previous Android Phones:
HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1) [Traded in]
HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2) [Got stolen]
HTC Doubleshot (T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide) [Retired]
LG Mako (Nexus 4) [Backup Device]

Get Dropbox for cloud storage! Use my link and we each get 500mb!

lVlaciiiii
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm having issues getting this to work too, which is weird, because I did it once for my girlfriend's Nexus 4, and it worked. Now, it won't work for me! I've tried using different computers and everything, still no luck. The drivers given in the OP seem to install fine, but then my Nexus 4 won't be detected by adb devices, or show up in My Computer! I don't know what to do! I've tried uninstalling them and reinstalling them a million times! When I uninstall it in Device Manager under Android Devices, I make sure to check the delete drivers text box, but then my computer goes and reinstalls the generic drivers right away. Even when I hit update drivers, it won't show up under adb. Any help? This is infuriating, since it worked once for me already!

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8,064

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lVlaciiiii View Post
I'm having issues getting this to work too, which is weird, because I did it once for my girlfriend's Nexus 4, and it worked. Now, it won't work for me! I've tried using different computers and everything, still no luck. The drivers given in the OP seem to install fine, but then my Nexus 4 won't be detected by adb devices, or show up in My Computer! I don't know what to do! I've tried uninstalling them and reinstalling them a million times! When I uninstall it in Device Manager under Android Devices, I make sure to check the delete drivers text box, but then my computer goes and reinstalls the generic drivers right away. Even when I hit update drivers, it won't show up under adb. Any help? This is infuriating, since it worked once for me already!
If the generic driver is installed, right click on it in device manager and select update, then select the option to install it manually ("let me select device from list" or whatever that option is called) and then select HAVE DISK <-- this is the important part. Then browse to the location of the drivers you extracted.
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Antebios
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I have a solution to people who install the drivers, but still cannot achieve ADB connection.

On your Android phone, change the USB computer connection from "Media Device (MTP)" to "Camera (PTP)". Now you can type "adb devices" and see your Android listed and carry out all the adb connection commands. After you're done, you can switch it back to Media Device.
The Following User Says Thank You to Antebios For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

anonymous1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
Are you using the cable that came with the phone? If not, try using it.

Also, when you uinstall the drivers, did you check the box that said to delete it as well?

Thanks for the reply.

Tried 3 different cables, including the one in the box and no difference. When the MTP device/Nexus device is listed in device manager (it keeps flashing up, then disconnects), I've tried to manually update the driver and the Windows message that pops up is ' Windows has determined that you have the latest driver'.

Looks like I'll be using my ancient laptop to use the latest smartphone!

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks.

BrakerB
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Ive used the Android Toolkit from the developer section, it worked just fine !

Stryder5
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Tried 3 different cables, including the one in the box and no difference. When the MTP device/Nexus device is listed in device manager (it keeps flashing up, then disconnects), I've tried to manually update the driver and the Windows message that pops up is ' Windows has determined that you have the latest driver'.

Looks like I'll be using my ancient laptop to use the latest smartphone!

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Have you tried different USB ports on your computer? Having the device flash in and out indicates a bad connection somewhere. Since the phone works on a laptop, it might be your computer's USB port.

Also, if Windows determined that you have the latest drivers, then you need to follow the second set of instructions in my original post. Make sure to uninstall AND delete the drivers.
Current Phone: Google Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
ROM: Mahdi w/ BaNkS Gapps || Radio: KTU84P Radio || Kernel: ElementalX 1.00
Mods: None || Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.1

Previous Android Phones:
HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1) [Traded in]
HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2) [Got stolen]
HTC Doubleshot (T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide) [Retired]
LG Mako (Nexus 4) [Backup Device]

Get Dropbox for cloud storage! Use my link and we each get 500mb!

Jard16
Old
(Last edited by Jard16; 11th December 2012 at 06:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lVlaciiiii View Post
Same issue. I can install the driver and my device shows up in Device Manager but not in My Computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and the cable that came with my N4.

amazoncom
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi, thank you very much for providing the driver, but I have failed to make it work. I am running XP, and have followed your instructions closely. Upon plug in there is a prompt for me to install drivers. I selected your driver, and currently it shows Google Android Nexus 4 ADB Interface in my device manager. However, when I opened My Computer, there is no such drive for my Nexus 4. Are there any thing else that I should try at this stage?

Meanwhile, switching to PTP (Camera) on my Nexus 4 device showed a camera icon on my PC. Switching back to MTP yields no response.

meangreenie
Old
Thanks Meter 625
^^ do you have a failed mpt device in device manager?