[DRIVERS] Nexus 4 Driver for Windows

Search This thread

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
If you have windows, you will need these drivers to use ADB or Fastboot with your Nexus 4. The long method of getting this is downloading the SDK and running it. I have extracted the drivers and put it into a rar file for easy use.

Follow these steps if you haven't plugged your phone into your computer before.
1. Download the file.
2. Extra the files into a folder.
3. Plug your phone in.
4. When prompted, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer".
5. Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers (the usb_driver folder) to install the drivers.

If you already installed other drivers and they don't work for you. Download the drivers below and follow these steps:
1. Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
2. Plug your phone into your computer.
3. Go to Device Manager on your computer and locate your device. It will either be under "Android Devices" or "Other Devices" depending whether drivers have been installed or not.
4. Right click on your phone and select "Uninstall."
5. In the box that appears, check the option to "Delete the driver software for this device" then proceed.
6. When that is done, go back to Device Manager and refresh.
7. Locate your phone and right click to select "Update Driver Software."
8. When prompted, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer".
9. Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers (the usb_driver folder) to install the drivers.
10. Unplug your phone and restart your computer.
11. Plug it back in and everything should work.

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8xb50uktar8096i

Thanks to efrant for clarifying exactly how to manually select your drivers.

Last edited:

ijip

Oct 4, 2011
OK... I DL the SDK I'm on win and it says it can't find java even after I DL from java. Any ideas?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

FISKER_Q

Feb 25, 2009
Have any other ADB drivers installed? Because then you need to uninstall those:

Go into command prompt and write:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

Delete all devices including driver software in the "Android Device" section.

Then reinstall the Nexus 4 drivers.

If that still doesn't work, update the driver when connected with usb debugging on and manually add by rightclicking the device, click update driver software, then the "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list..." then "Show all devices" and then Have disk.

Then you simply point to the driver and select the "Android ADB Interface" (Or something like that) it also has driver for bootloader and composite, bootloader is for fastboot, can't remember what composite is for, but you shouldn't use those.

qvert

Oct 10, 2008
the stuff from Fisker didn't did it for me
the driver is installed and the device is in debug mode,

but i can't see in adb devices,

any idea? :)

Reactions: navid69

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
the stuff from Fisker didn't did it for me
the driver is installed and the device is in debug mode,

but i can't see in adb devices,

any idea? :)

Go to Device Manager on your PC. If debug mode is enabled, you should see your device listed as an Android phone or something of the sort. If it has a yellow exclamation mark or some sort of symbol next to it, then that means the drivers aren't properly installed. Assuming that is the case, follow FISKER_Q's directions:

Right clicking the device, click update driver software, then the "Browse my computer for driver software." Select the usb_driver folder that you extracted and you should be good to go.

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
Having the same issue. Fastboot works fine, however I am unable to use ADB (device not listed, however is recognized in device manager without any issues). I have tried uninstalling the drivers, but it re-installs them automatically when I plug the phone back in. Debug mode is enabled.

Edit: Fixed by uninstalling the drivers through the SDK manager, then uninstalling and checking the box to delete the driver software in device manager. Re-installed using instructions and now it works in ADB.

Last edited:
Reactions: tmadge

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
Having the same issue. Fastboot works fine, however I am unable to use ADB (device not listed, however is recognized in device manager without any issues). I have tried uninstalling the drivers, but it re-installs them automatically when I plug the phone back in. Debug mode is enabled.

Edit: Fixed by uninstalling the drivers through the SDK manager, then uninstalling and checking the box to delete the driver software in device manager. Re-installed using instructions and now it works in ADB.

Glad you got it figured out. :good:

Reactions: javon27

Letitflow

May 10, 2010
I have exactly the same problem and its driving me nuts! I can't get adb to work. Any suggestions? Did you restart during the whole process?

Of course i tried this:

"Having the same issue. Fastboot works fine, however I am unable to use ADB (device not listed, however is recognized in device manager without any issues). I have tried uninstalling the drivers, but it re-installs them automatically when I plug the phone back in. Debug mode is enabled.

Edit: Fixed by uninstalling the drivers through the SDK manager, then uninstalling and checking the box to delete the driver software in device manager. Re-installed using instructions and now it works in ADB."

Fastboot does not work either.

Last edited:

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
I have exactly the same problem and its driving me nuts! I can't get adb to work. Any suggestions? Did you restart during the whole process?

Of course i tried this:

"Having the same issue. Fastboot works fine, however I am unable to use ADB (device not listed, however is recognized in device manager without any issues). I have tried uninstalling the drivers, but it re-installs them automatically when I plug the phone back in. Debug mode is enabled.

Edit: Fixed by uninstalling the drivers through the SDK manager, then uninstalling and checking the box to delete the driver software in device manager. Re-installed using instructions and now it works in ADB."

Try leaving the phone plug in. Go to Device Manager. Find the ADB drivers and uninstall it. While in Device Manager, have it scan for new changes. You should see your phone appear. Right click it and manually install the drivers.

IAMLordspeed

Nov 16, 2009
Denver, CO

Of course i tried this:

Same here. I'm running windows 7 and it doesn't matter what drivers I try, ADB doesn't list any devices :( first time I've ever had this issue.

Last edited:

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
Same here. I'm running windows 7 and it doesn't matter what drivers I try, ADB doesn't list any devices :( first time I've ever had this issue.

Make sure USB Debugging is enabled through Developer Options on your phone. Once done, plug the phone into your computer. Go to Device Manager on your computer. You should either see something listed under Android Devices or Other Devices. If you see something under Android Devices, uninstall it. If you see it under Other Devices, right click it and browse to manually install the drivers. Select the folder that has the drivers in my original post.

ahandmadegrin

Nov 5, 2012
Saint Paul
Make sure USB Debugging is enabled through Developer Options on your phone. Once done, plug the phone into your computer. Go to Device Manager on your computer. You should either see something listed under Android Devices or Other Devices. If you see something under Android Devices, uninstall it. If you see it under Other Devices, right click it and browse to manually install the drivers. Select the folder that has the drivers in my original post.

I had to put a check in the box next to "Delete the driver software for this device" to get this to work. Otherwise Device Manager will keep detecting the old drivers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have windows, you will need these drivers to use ADB or Fastboot with your Nexus 4. The long method of getting this is downloading the SDK and running it. I have extracted the drivers and put it into a rar file for easy use.

Follow these steps if you haven't plugged your phone into your computer before.
    1. Download the file.
    2. Extra the files into a folder.
    3. Plug your phone in.
    4. When prompted, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer".
    5. Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers (the usb_driver folder) to install the drivers.

If you already installed other drivers and they don't work for you. Download the drivers below and follow these steps:
    1. Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
    2. Plug your phone into your computer.
    3. Go to Device Manager on your computer and locate your device. It will either be under "Android Devices" or "Other Devices" depending whether drivers have been installed or not.
    4. Right click on your phone and select "Uninstall."
    5. In the box that appears, check the option to "Delete the driver software for this device" then proceed.
    6. When that is done, go back to Device Manager and refresh.
    7. Locate your phone and right click to select "Update Driver Software."
    8. When prompted, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer".
    9. Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers (the usb_driver folder) to install the drivers.
    10. Unplug your phone and restart your computer.
    11. Plug it back in and everything should work.

Download link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?8xb50uktar8096i

Thanks to efrant for clarifying exactly how to manually select your drivers.
    Have any other ADB drivers installed? Because then you need to uninstall those:

Go into command prompt and write:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc

Delete all devices including driver software in the "Android Device" section.

Then reinstall the Nexus 4 drivers.

If that still doesn't work, update the driver when connected with usb debugging on and manually add by rightclicking the device, click update driver software, then the "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list..." then "Show all devices" and then Have disk.

Then you simply point to the driver and select the "Android ADB Interface" (Or something like that) it also has driver for bootloader and composite, bootloader is for fastboot, can't remember what composite is for, but you shouldn't use those.
    please help me! why can't install driver for my phone? i had followed your tutorial, but i failed at this step! (picture)
    (my phone is galaxy nexus and of cause the driver is for the galaxy nexus too)
    As I mentioned a few post above and other times in this short thread, you need to select the "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer". Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers.
    I already have ADB up & running thru a minimal SDK install. I've been using it for my HTC device for 2 years now. Yet when I follow the directions in the OP I can never seem to get past Windows 7 REQUIRING me to reboot before installing the new supplied device drivers with ADB functions. When I DO reboot it tells me the drivers were improperly installed so I proceed. Then thru device manager I install the proper drivers BUT I can never get a better response from "adb devices" than the serial number but showing the device offline. I SEEM to be halfway there but even with debug running it won't find my new Nexus when trying the adb reboot bootloader command. What in the world am I overlooking? I'm no dummy....but I AM baffled about what I'm missing.

Are you checking the box that says delete existing drivers/software? Or are you just uninstalling? After you uninstall AND check the box to delete existing drivers, unplug the device, try rebooting, then plug it back in and see if that works.

It's important to check that box that confirms you are deleting drivers, and not just uninstalling them.
    I am so confused, why is installing drivers so difficult?

When I plug my phone in it tries to automatically install drivers and it fails. Then when I go to device manager it has SAMSUNG Android Phone listed and under that says Nexus 4 with a Yellow exclamation mark.

If I go to the Nexus 4 device and Update Driver Software manually and browse to the folder where I saved the drivers from this thread it just keeps trying to install and either gets stuck and doesn't do anything or it fails.

What am I doing wrong?
    You are doing something wrong.

You could always look at Google's site here. Notice the difference between "installing drivers for the first time", and "upgrading an existing driver". In your case, you need to follow the "upgrade an existing driver". Point it to the location where you downloaded the driver, either from the SDK, or or from this thread, or from 1wayjonny's driver here which works as well.