Factory image for N4 removed

Search This thread

slannmage

Oct 30, 2012
People also seem to forget that the LTE chip costs money, it doesn't need to be there as it isn't an LTE device.

So if they remove it and what other components that are in there that are left over from The Optimus G, they save money.....

Pretty simple really.

iconoclastnet

Apr 22, 2010
People also seem to forget that the LTE chip costs money, it doesn't need to be there as it isn't an LTE device.

So if they remove it and what other components that are in there that are left over from The Optimus G, they save money.....

Pretty simple really.

:confused: Umm, the chip is clearly there but is just turned off. Re-releasing the binaries so that it's "even more turned off" doesn't really save them anything apart from legal hassles.

slannmage

Oct 30, 2012
:confused: Umm, the chip is clearly there but is just turned off. Re-releasing the binaries so that it's "even more turned off" doesn't really save them anything apart from legal hassles.

Redesigning the board without the chip saves money because they don't have to put it on every one they produce. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if it was a bodged job to rush the device out so they used the Optimus G board to save money because they weren't selling and LG had loads of them left. However now the Nexus 4 has sold so many they have to produce more from scratch and so they've redesigned the board without the chip to save money.

Happened all the time where I used to work anyways.

decepticon

Mar 6, 2004
Backwoods Louisiana
Redesigning the board without the chip saves money because they don't have to put it on every one they produce. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if it was a bodged job to rush the device out so they used the Optimus G board to save money because they weren't selling and LG had loads of them left. However now the Nexus 4 has sold so many they have to produce more from scratch and so they've redesigned the board without the chip to save money.

LTE is part of the SoC. You can't simply "remove" it's physical presence without going to a different SoC.

rlaw

Jul 13, 2011

No. It would be monumentally expensive to redesign a manufacturing process for one device that isn't meant to sell as high volume, margin and profit as other flagship devices (GS3, Note II, Optimus G etc) - why d'you think every Nexus to date has been a closely related cousin of other devices by the manufacturing company contracted?

Keeping it as close to Optimus G as possible is the most sensible business decision. Plus with economy of scale, they're getting parts shared between the two for cheap. They're also most likely using chip sets from binning that didn't pass the LTE QA, further saving money.

Besides, many SoCs already include LTE on the die, doesn't make sense to come up with a unique design just for one line of phones, too expensive. The expensive part of including LTE is the licensing and regulatory fees as there is no universal LTE standard or FRAND LTE patents.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Serious_Beans

Feb 17, 2011
No. It would be monumentally expensive to redesign a manufacturing process for one device that isn't meant to sell as high volume, margin and profit as other flagship devices (GS3, Note II, Optimus G etc) - why d'you think every Nexus to date has been a closely related cousin of other devices by the manufacturing company contracted?

Keeping it as close to Optimus G as possible is the most sensible business decision. Plus with economy of scale, they're getting parts shared between the two for cheap. They're also most likely using chip sets from binning that didn't pass the LTE QA, further saving money.

Besides, many SoCs already include LTE on the die, doesn't make sense to come up with a unique design just for one line of phones, too expensive. The expensive part of including LTE is the licensing and regulatory fees as there is no universal LTE standard or FRAND LTE patents.

Using LTE on this phone would be a bad idea, doesn't have the right amplifiers, battery will drain so fast using LTE it's not even funny...even though it is..lol

I guess if you want to torrent something real quick (yeah you pirates!) then I guess it's useful, but HSPA+ is FAST! AVG 18DOWN and 2UP.

Maybe there is something else wrong with Android 4.2.1 for the N4, or it could be the LTE chip, guess we will have to wait and see.

luckylui

Aug 14, 2010
Chi-Town
OnePlus 9 Pro
Using LTE on this phone would be a bad idea, doesn't have the right amplifiers, battery will drain so fast using LTE it's not even funny...even though it is..lol

I guess if you want to torrent something real quick (yeah you pirates!) then I guess it's useful, but HSPA+ is FAST! AVG 18DOWN and 2UP.

Maybe there is something else wrong with Android 4.2.1 for the N4, or it could be the LTE chip, guess we will have to wait and see.

Arrrrrr ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rlaw

Jul 13, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if new version removes ability to use LTE, hasn't been certified for it in any country.

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I would be surprised if they managed to lock it out permanently. As long as you can get the old firmware back into the right memory block the SoC reads from, it will still support LTE. If they remove it at the OS level, custom roms/patches should fix it.
All the SoC does is read it from flash, load it, and check for a valid signature. They can't really revoke the signature easily I believe, as IIRC its signed by a Qualcomm certificate.

luckylui

Aug 14, 2010
Chi-Town
OnePlus 9 Pro
I would be surprised if they managed to lock it out permanently. As long as you can get the old firmware back into the right memory block the SoC reads from, it will still support LTE. If they remove it at the OS level, custom roms/patches should fix it.
All the SoC does is read it from flash, load it, and check for a valid signature. They can't really revoke the signature easily I believe, as IIRC its signed by a Qualcomm certificate.

Lock it or not.. We have great devs here, that I'm pretty sure will find that switch to flip. :)

Bring it on Google! Lol
They may take away the firmware but the phone still has the hardware. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Blazing angel

Oct 15, 2011

I believe it has everything required for band 4 (anandtech said this --- i may be wrong)

Top Liked Posts