Ask a question

No registration required

Use fastboot to flash 4.4.3 without waiting for OTA

OP NYZack

4th June 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #11  
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 47

453 posts
No need to do all these steps (flashboot). They included scripts that will run all things

On Windows you can just run "flash-all.bat" or on Unix "flash-all.sh".
The Following User Says Thank You to DarsVaeda For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th June 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 21

137 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarsVaeda

No need to do all these steps (flashboot). They included scripts that will run all things

On Windows you can just run "flash-all.bat" or on Unix "flash-all.sh".

Yeah but edit it with notepad and remove the -w flag to disable the wipe also remove the recovery.img from the zip to keep the custom recovery !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mashedbymachines For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th June 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42

160 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedbymachines

Yeah but edit it with notepad and remove the -w flag to disable the wipe also remove the recovery.img from the zip to keep the custom recovery !

Yeah, this is the key point - if that -w flag is not removed, you will lose all apps/data. One of the reasons I put this up is that I think the step-by-step method is interesting, instructive (you can see what's actually happening), not much more time-consuming than running the automated script, and lets you have more granular control.

(And I apologize if it's littering the forum and semi-plagiarism, but I thought a very detailed, confirmed step-by-step guide with up-to-date precise download links might be useful to people who haven't gone through the process before.)
4th June 2014, 11:04 PM   |  #14  
Flag Nyborg
Thanks Meter: 23

114 posts
More
What the ....

So I edited my flash-all.bat and removed the -w

It looks like this:

Quote:

@ECHO OFF

PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz30d.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.02.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot update image-occam-ktu84l.zip

echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul

And yet my phone was wiped.... sigh

** Update **
Nevermind, it was Notepad++ that screwed me over. The changes to the bat file was not written to the file, only kept in Notepad++'s temporary memory. ****ing bull**** feature.
Last edited by Erroneus; 4th June 2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: ****ing Notepad++
21st June 2014, 01:02 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneus

What the ....

So I edited my flash-all.bat and removed the -w

It looks like this:

And yet my phone was wiped.... sigh

** Update **
Nevermind, it was Notepad++ that screwed me over. The changes to the bat file was not written to the file, only kept in Notepad++'s temporary memory. ****ing bull**** feature.

so in order to run this comand you only need to unzip the tar(?) file downloaded and then you are done, you don't have to unzip the actual factory image, correct?
21st June 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 39

259 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdg59

so in order to run this comand you only need to unzip the tar(?) file downloaded and then you are done, you don't have to unzip the actual factory image, correct?

Actually, you have to run the unzip program twice:

For example, when updating to Android version 4.4.4 (Yes, a new version has already been released since this post):

Here is the downloaded file

occam-ktu84p-factory-b6ac3ad6.tar

Unzipping it will give you this:

occam-ktu84p-factory-b6ac3ad6

And unzipping that one more time will give you the directory "occam-ktu84p" containing the following files:

bootloader-mako-makoz30d.img
flash-all.bat
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
image-occam-ktu84p.zip
radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.03.img

WARNING: As was mentioned many times, remove the -w from the following line in the flash-all.bat file unless you intend to wipe your phone clean. I don't understand the issue with Notepad++ noted in a previous post, as you have to hit "save" like any other program (It is the program that I use as well).

fastboot -w update image-occam-ktu84p.zip

If what you were really asking is whether you need to unzip the file image-occam-ktu84p.zip.......The answer is no.
Last edited by pjc123; 21st June 2014 at 02:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pjc123 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st June 2014, 02:11 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
ah ah yes 4.4.4, that's why i am asking, because i always used to unzip everything and the flash items individually using fastboot which i always liked. The problem however was that my nexus 4 has 16gb and after flashing and wiping everything clean the memory showed up at 8gb so i had to factory reset through stock recovery which i didn't enjoy as much. thanks for all the help!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread