XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Back Glass Cracked around speaker

Tip us?

mattcam3
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Exclamation Back Glass Cracked around speaker

I went out tonight to a movie. I put my phone in my pocket when I left the house, took it out once to put it on vibrate at the start of the movie then took it out of my pocket again when I got home. The phone was the only thing in that pocket, so it's not like it was up against my keys or anything.

The phone was intact when I put it on vibrate so while it was in my pocket at some point during the movie or the ride home is when it got cracked.

It seems that the part of the glass that's cut out for the loud speaker got pushed in enough that the glass around it gave way and shattered. I don't remember bumping it on anything or it being jostled in any way, just a typical movie and drive home...

I have insurance on it through Tmobile but I may try and call LG directly first to see if they will do anything considering I didn't drop it or really abuse it in any way that I can think of...

So let this be a warning to you if you have one, be careful about that part of the phone. Maybe be careful to put it facing screen-side-out in your pocket so the back speaker cut out can't be bumped...

The glass around the speaker grill is entirely shattered with cracks spider webbing from it to all 4 corners of the screen. The cracks going to the top are hard to see in the pictures, but their there.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions about contacting LG, or anything else about it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	nexus fail.jpg
Views:	15652
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	1490763

Click image for larger version

Name:	nexus fail 2.jpg
Views:	12774
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	1490769
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mattcam3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jordanishere
Old
Thanks Meter 280
Gorilla glass my ass

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jordanishere For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ASavva
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Looks like a bit of flex that's caused it.

That's the first time I've seen a decent picture of the back by the way, and it looks amazing!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

yahoowizard
Old
Thanks Meter 69
That does not seem like Gorilla Glass anymore. Don't think I've ever heard of a phone just magically breaking without any kind of impact.

Nickel Dime Bay
Old
Thanks Meter 246
How the hell did that happen in a pocket? Hmm

[CURRENT PHONE] AT&T HTC One (Stealth Black)
R.I.P. White ATT LG G2, Glacier Silver ATT HTC One. ATT Galaxy Note 2(3), Galaxy Note 2 N7100, Nexus 4 16GB, HTC One X(6), Galaxy S III I9300(3), ATT Galaxy S III(4), White Galaxy Nexus(2), ATT Galaxy S II, ATT Galaxy S Captivate, iPhone 4, Blackberry Bold, iPhone 3GS, Moto Razr 2, Samsung BlackJack 2, Razr V3i with iTunes, Razr..

xCryonic
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I don't think that the backside of the phone is made from gorilla glass, only the screen. But you still should contact LG, because no way it should blow up like that.

Hope that they change it for you

Sent from my GT-I9000
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xCryonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mattcam3
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Dime Bay View Post
How the hell did that happen in a pocket? Hmm
I wish I had a good answer

I was babying this phone as much as possible, it was the only thing in that pocket and I made sure not to use it when over cement or anything in case it did fall.

But this happened while it was INSIDE my pocket, I even had to empty some of the glass shards out of my pocket when I noticed what had happened...

yahoowizard
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCryonic View Post
I don't think that the backside of the phone is made from gorilla glass, only the screen. But you still should contact LG, because no way it should blow up like that.

Hope that they change it for you

Sent from my GT-I9000
Most of the reviews state that both the front and the back of the phone are Gorilla Glass.

wilsonlam97
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASavva View Post
Looks like a bit of flex that's caused it.

That's the first time I've seen a decent picture of the back by the way, and it looks amazing!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
LG cheaped out. This can not be gorilla glass. I believe OP.
iPhone 3GS -> G1 -> iPhone 4 -> Galaxy Nexus -> G1 -> Nexus 4

phewizzo
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Cmon, u had to out some type of stress on it for it to crack like that. Skinny jeans? Back or front pocket?? Why isnt no one going to T-Mobile stores to buy a case for a all glass phone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
I have been on XDA forums for a LONG time, 2007 with my Palm Treo before any android was out, I have lurked on this forum since, never spoke and stood quiet and Im glad there are so much people supporting android development, so much people making android 1000000X better then stock. Keep it coming guys.

PHONE - T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 2 & T-Mobile Nexus One
Rom - Experimenting with all!
SD Card - 16 GB Class 4

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to phewizzo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]