Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,535 Members 39,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google free Nexus 4

Tip us?

jherbold
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Current setup

Device - Google Nexus 4
Rom - Purity 4.4.2 (ART)
Custom host file - recovery flash http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1916098
Gapps - none
Plan - T-Mobile $30 unlimited/100minutes
Launcher - Nova
Browser - Firefox, DuckDuckGo default search
App stores - F-Droid, Amazon, 1Mobile
File handlers - ES (via recovery zip), Total Commander, FastFTP, owncloud
Maps - OsmAnd, BackCountry Navigator
Gasbuddy - bookmark, mobile web site via Firefox
Calendar - Standalone, synced to owncloud via CalDav Sync app
Contacts - native, synced to owncloud via CardDav beta app
Voip dialer - MagicJack
Password mgr - KeePassDroid synced to owncloud
Sports - ESPN ScoreCenter
Books - Amazon Kindle
Backups - Easy Backup app
Notes/Grocery list/Todo - Text Editor, files synced to owncloud
Expense mgr - Basic program, files synced to owncloud http://laughton.com/basic/
Google Nexus 4
HTC Vivid
HTC Tilt2
HTC 8125
Motorola V620
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jherbold For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

howard bamber
Old
(Last edited by howard bamber; 17th February 2014 at 01:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherbold View Post
Current setup

Device - Google Nexus 4
Rom - Purity 4.4.2 (ART)
Custom host file - recovery flash http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1916098
Gapps - none
Plan - T-Mobile $30 unlimited/100minutes
Launcher - Nova
Browser - Firefox, DuckDuckGo default search
App stores - F-Droid, Amazon, 1Mobile
File handlers - ES (via recovery zip), Total Commander, FastFTP, owncloud
Maps - OsmAnd, BackCountry Navigator
Gasbuddy - bookmark, mobile web site via Firefox
Calendar - Standalone, synced to owncloud via CalDav Sync app
Contacts - native, synced to owncloud via CardDav beta app
Voip dialer - MagicJack
Password mgr - KeePassDroid synced to owncloud
Sports - ESPN ScoreCenter
Books - Amazon Kindle
Backups - Easy Backup app
Notes/Grocery list/Todo - Text Editor, files synced to owncloud
Expense mgr - Basic program, files synced to owncloud http://laughton.com/basic/
What did you do with the part of the OS which roms don't change which is google o/s? The Android system and services frame work?
The first is listed as Google in an app search in the system. I'm on a non google phone. No playstore no nothing but that darn company is based in flashing roms can't clear it fully. Who knows what spying it does

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ngr.hd
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Default Yandex Offers Fee-Free Android FirmwareKit So OEMs Can Ditch Google Services

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/19/yandex-kit/
The Following User Says Thank You to ngr.hd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lilgiz
Old
(Last edited by lilgiz; 26th February 2014 at 06:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 57
After reading through this thread, I decided to try it out. I did a clean install of my home built RastaKat along with PA micro Gapps. Using the playstore, I installed my Tibu, Root Explorer and my other paid apps to make sure I had the latest installed. I then dirty flashed RastaKat without flashing Gapps. On boot up the first thing I did was manually remove the Google Play Services out of the data partition since it auto updated there almost immediately after the original boot. After that I reinstalled most of my apps with TiBu. There were probably about 4 apps which would not install, I'm assuming due to needing some Google services framework. Off the top of my head, Gas Buddy, Costco, Key Ring & iTriage did not install for me. I still have a few open source Google apps, but nothing proprietary. I having do miss Google Voice & My Tracks though, as I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

I've been running this set up for about a week now and can't say I've had any issues of note. I believe I now have 3 pc's, 2 laptops, a phone and a tablet which are free of any proprietary software from either Microsoft, Apple or Google! Edit: I forgot I have Windows installed on Virtual Box on one of my pc's

Thanks to the OP for the ideas
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilgiz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Neo0
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I just wanted to mention another alternative store: The Nokia Store shipped with the X series of Nokia.
The store does not require login and offers a few apps

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2664212

I hope it's the right link

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Neo0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kubino
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm finding some calendar which is not synchronize with Google account and allow import ics file. Any idea's?
LG Nexus 4 (16GB) with Stock ROM Android 4.4.2 and Hellscore kernel + Ubuntu Touch trusty-devel (with radio 0.84)
Acer S200 with my own ROM WM 6.5.3 + 2gb microSD
Qtek 8310 with ROM WM6.1 Professional + 2gb miniSD

My ROMs for Acer S200: Kubino's WM 6.1 clean and Kubino's Clean v1.1 & Ultra clean v1.0 WWE and Kubino's MaxSense Edition RC
If you like my work, please DONATE me.

PBaran
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Great post, thanks. One question: So if I completely delete my Google account, I can't re-download the apps I paid for from 1MobileMarket or AppBrain? I've checked both sites, and all the apps I paid for are there.

So far I'm enjoying it. I lost a lot of payware from the Play Store I've bought over the years but I'm learning to live without it. I'm thoroughly enjoying knowing my device is truly Google free at this point.[/QUOTE]
The Following User Says Thank You to PBaran For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gorilla p
Old
Thanks Meter 762

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBaran View Post
Great post, thanks. One question: So if I completely delete my Google account, I can't re-download the apps I paid for from 1MobileMarket or AppBrain? I've checked both sites, and all the apps I paid for are there.

So far I'm enjoying it. I lost a lot of payware from the Play Store I've bought over the years but I'm learning to live without it. I'm thoroughly enjoying knowing my device is truly Google free at this point.
[/QUOTE]
I would contact some of the devs of the payware and see if they'll send you a copy or something.

Device - Google Nexus 4 [Google Ed.]
ROM -Dirty Unicorns
Kernel - Hells Doctor & AK
Max AnTuTu Bench - 23600
File Repository - Mako Stuff