5,596,784 Members 47,207 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Setup Your Own Asterisk Server With Google Voice on Amazon EC2

Tip us?

acegolfer
Old
Thanks Meter 203
Default Re: [GUIDE] Setup Your Own Asterisk Server With Google Voice on Amazon EC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebios View Post
I DID IT!!!! I DID IT!!!! IT'S WORKING!!!! This morning I fiddled with the configs again and cleaned them out. I no longer had the error messages, but my SipDroid client was timing out trying to log in. I gave up and removed the /etc/asterisk directory, then went back to my source directory (/usr/src/asterisk*) and did a 'make samples' to put all the original sample config in place. I then followed the config instructions exactly, but this time deleting the original configs and creating the files from scratch. I viewed the log file with: tail -f /var/log/asterisk/messages so I could see what's happening in real time. IT WORKED! My wife was always complaining about the call quality. I was using Pbxes.org, as most people use too. This opens up a lot of possibilities. Maybe I can move my home number to my Asterisk system, and also have a dedicated fax line? Ohhh, then create my own "company" pbx system so people think I have a big company along with extensions and such. I think Asterisk is going to suck a lot of my time. THANK YOU ALL!!!

One more question: which client has the better codecs? CSipSimple or SipDroid? Also, which codecs are better or in what order should they be used? I tried SipDroid's G722 HD exclusively and it was great.
Awesome.

I use csip with g722 for WiFi and g729 for 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Vrekk
Old
(Last edited by Vrekk; 17th February 2013 at 09:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Set this up this morning and I am loving it so far. I love being able to turn just about any internet connected device into a phone and with this it actually works reliably.

EDIT: Also what are the advantages to using something like csip vs the SIP accounts built into Android? Better codec choices?
Look what I just heard on the interwebz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 View Post
and for you info quoting a person in your sig is just retarded and childish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokentoaster24 View Post
You've done plenty of work, you deserved that coma

Antebios
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Awesome.
Well, I'm having some success. With SipDroid I can make calls, but for an incoming call: I answer and they can't hear me and I can't hear them. With CSipSimple I'm can make and receive calls, but either we can't hear each other or they can hear me, but they are garbled. I think I just have to find the right codec to use for each separate app (CSipSimple and SipDroid).

acegolfer
Old
Thanks Meter 203
Quote:
Well, I'm having some success. With SipDroid I can make calls, but for an incoming call: I answer and they can't hear me and I can't hear them. With CSipSimple I'm can make and receive calls, but either we can't hear each other or they can hear me, but they are garbled. I think I just have to find the right codec to use for each separate app (CSipSimple and SipDroid).
It's a well known issue that sipdroid doesn't work well with asterisk servers behind NAT.

Antebios
Old
(Last edited by Antebios; 18th February 2013 at 12:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
It's a well known issue that sipdroid doesn't work well with asterisk servers behind NAT.
Now you tell me. About 1-2 hours ago I gave up on SipDroid and finally got CSipSimple to make and receive calls. I find the right set of codecs, it's working great for Wi-Fi, making and receiving calls. I've found that CSipSimple app will crash internally, but not let the user know. I've had to go and kill the app in Android and then it's back to working great again.

Now, notice that I said it's working great for Wi-Fi. I'm at home and I get a strong HSPA+ signal, I just did a speedtest and I got 47ms, 8,369 kbps down, and 1,563 kbps up. That's some might good speed for home. When I'm at work I get 46ms, 17,089 kbps down, and 2,329 kbps up. That's damn fast and not even LTE speeds. So, my cell phone data connection is not a problem. I can make calls and receive calls on Cell Data, but either party cannot hear nor speak to each other. I'm off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Google. Thanks for your help so far!

jhax01
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Default Re: [GUIDE] Setup Your Own Asterisk Server With Google Voice on Amazon EC2

Quote:
Now you tell me. About 1-2 hours ago I gave up on SipDroid and finally got CSipSimple to make and receive calls. I find the right set of codecs, it's working great for Wi-Fi, making and receiving calls. I've found that CSipSimple app will crash internally, but let the user know. I've had to go and kill the app in Android and then it's back to working great again.

Now, notice that I said it's working great for Wi-Fi. I'm at home and I get a strong HSPA+ signal, I just did a speedtest and I got 47ms, 8,369 kbps down, and 1,563 kbps up. That's some might good speed for home. When I'm at work I get 46ms, 17,089 kbps down, and 2,329 kbps up. That's damn fast and not even LTE speeds. So, my cell phone data connection is not a problem. I can make calls and receive calls on Cell Data, but either party cannot hear nor speak to each other. I'm off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Google. Thanks for your help so far!
That's most likely a codec issue... If you specify a codec that asterisk doesn't understand, it will just pass it through rather than attempt to translate it, which is fine if it's another client on the other end. But if you're going through Google Voice, it has to be translated to ulaw or there will be no audio for either party. If one side has audio and not the other, that is generally a firewall or NAT issue...

What codec are you trying to use for your 3G connection?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

errorcod3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

I've found that the nightly build of css works much better for the N4

Antebios
Old
(Last edited by Antebios; 18th February 2013 at 02:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhax01 View Post
That's most likely a codec issue... If you specify a codec that asterisk doesn't understand, it will just pass it through rather than attempt to translate it, which is fine if it's another client on the other end. But if you're going through Google Voice, it has to be translated to ulaw or there will be no audio for either party. If one side has audio and not the other, that is generally a firewall or NAT issue...

What codec are you trying to use for your 3G connection?

Settings for CSipSimple
Fast
G722 26 kHz
ILBC 8 kHz
GSM 8 kHz

Slow
ILBC 8 kHz
GSM 8 kHz

I've tried each codec separately with CSS to make sure they worked, but they only work while I was on Wi-Fi.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by errorcod3 View Post
I've found that the nightly build of css works much better for the N4
EUREKA!! I don't know if this made a difference, but I installed the Nightly and it still didn't work. But, after I did my tests I enabled STUN. It worked after that. But, what was strange was that I enabled it in the Play Store version and it didn't help. So, I'm sticking with it! So, now I can make and receive clear calls over Wi-Fi, and I can finally make and receive calls over Cellular Data.

Edit: Asterisk didn't like SILK, so once I disabled SILK things ran a lot smoother. Also, ILBC was choppy, so I took that off the list.

Now, my last problem... the caller is hearing an echo. I tried to mess with CCS's settings during the call to increase or decrease the mic. Even at the lowest setting there is still an echo for the caller's own voice, but my Nexus 4 phone with CSipSimple hears everything fine and no echo when I talk. BTW, the caller is just another cell phone that I'm using (wifey's unrooted untouched phone. She sick of me tweaking it so I finally left it stock.).

bluespire
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Awesome.

I thought you were using iLBC for 3g. Why'd you change?

acegolfer
Old
Thanks Meter 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespire View Post
I thought you were using iLBC for 3g. Why'd you change?
G729 + aws ec2 resulted in the lowest latency out of 12 setups I have tried. See my signature.