Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 36,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Get 4G Speeds on AT&T

Tip us?

defnow
Old
Thanks Meter 231
Can I use a friends imei from his Note? His phone or account won't screw up? Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
LG Nexus 5 16GB
-stock
iPhone 5S 32GB

nmeurett
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoodroid View Post
No, you have to use StraightTalk's APN settings which are almost identical to the wap.cingular APN settings in the post above yours. Your phone will get HSPA+ 4G on StraigthTalk using the APN provided by StraightTalk with no problems so I don't know what your issue is. If you mean 4G LTE you cannot get LTE with a StraightTalk plan no matter what APN settings you use even if you are one of the few who has the proper AT&T LTE (band 4 AWS) in your area.

I am getting internet its just not that fast... I get about 1.5-3m download and I thought HSPA+ would be alot faster then that. Any idea what the exact settings I should use are maybe I have something wrong with my settings? Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

kzoodroid
Old
Thanks Meter 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeurett View Post
I am getting internet its just not that fast... I get about 1.5-3m download and I thought HSPA+ would be alot faster then that. Any idea what the exact settings I should use are maybe I have something wrong with my settings? Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.
It depends upon which HSPA+ (10, 15 21) you have in your area and how crowded the towers are. You look to be getting HSPA+10 speeds and that may be all that's available in your area. And be careful running speeds tests, one speedtest can use up to 50 MB of data which is enough to go over your daily limits with StraightTalk and be throttled down to 2G speeds for the rest of the month. Go to settings>about phone>status and look under mobile networks and you will see what type of data connection you have, this needs to be done while you are actively using data to see the highest speed you can connect to in your area (open a web page in a browser then use the notification tray to open settings and look at your data type).

Been a while since I had StraightTalk but these should be their APN settings.

Name: ST (or whatever you want)
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: Not set
APN type: Not set (or default)
APN protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Not specified
Moto X GSM Dev. Ed.- 4.4.3, Stock w/ Xposed GEL; Nexus 4 - Stock 4.4.4, Rooted; Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Stock 4.2
The Following User Says Thank You to kzoodroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nmeurett
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoodroid View Post
It depends upon which HSPA+ (10, 15 21) you have in your area and how crowded the towers are. You look to be getting HSPA+10 speeds and that may be all that's available in your area. And be careful running speeds tests, one speedtest can use up to 50 MB of data which is enough to go over your daily limits with StraightTalk and be throttled down to 2G speeds for the rest of the month. Go to settings>about phone>status and look under mobile networks and you will see what type of data connection you have, this needs to be done while you are actively using data to see the highest speed you can connect to in your area (open a web page in a browser then use the notification tray to open settings and look at your data type).

Been a while since I had StraightTalk but these should be their APN settings.

Name: ST (or whatever you want)
APN: att.mvno
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: Not set
APN type: Not set (or default)
APN protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Not specified

I just re did my settings to match what you posted. Everything was the same except I did not have the first proxy or port number entered

So I adjusted those. Before I did that the status said HSPA:10 now it says HSPA+:15

Does this mean I should get faster speeds now?

kzoodroid
Old
Thanks Meter 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeurett View Post
I just re did my settings to match what you posted. Everything was the same except I did not have the first proxy or port number entered

So I adjusted those. Before I did that the status said HSPA:10 now it says HSPA+:15

Does this mean I should get faster speeds now?
HSPA+15 I think is twice as fast as +10. Its like 7-8 down. I don't really notice data speeds as I'm on wifi 99% of time and anything faster than 2G is fine with me when I do need it.
Moto X GSM Dev. Ed.- 4.4.3, Stock w/ Xposed GEL; Nexus 4 - Stock 4.4.4, Rooted; Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Stock 4.2
The Following User Says Thank You to kzoodroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rockypr70
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I decided to turn on Lte radio on my Nexus 4 using At&t and BOOM!!! i saw the 4g icon on my signal. I live in Puerto Rico and this test was done in the town of Bayamon. All i have to say is WOW. Awesome speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nexus4ltespeedtest.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1909554   Click image for larger version

Name:	nexus4ltepuertorico.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1909555  
Nexus 10 (rooted, stock rom, franco kernel) <-------------------------------current
Samsung Galaxy S3 (rooted, stock rom, stock kernel) <----------------current
HTC One X (rooted, CleanRom, stock kernel) <-----------------------------dead
Samsung Epic 4g Touch (rooted, stock rom, stock kernel) <----------retired
Samsung Galaxy S 4G (stock) <-----------------------------------------------------------retired

hmendez787
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default lte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypr70 View Post
I decided to turn on Lte radio on my Nexus 4 using At&t and BOOM!!! i saw the 4g icon on my signal. I live in Puerto Rico and this test was done in the town of Bayamon. All i have to say is WOW. Awesome speeds.

Also with Claro PR you can get lte in some areas in Mayaguez y got good speeds I am from Aguada xD

rockypr70
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmendez787 View Post
Also with Claro PR you can get lte in some areas in Mayaguez y got good speeds I am from Aguada xD
You mean you can get Lte signal with Claro on the Nexus 4? I never though Claro was using band 4 for its Lte service
Nexus 10 (rooted, stock rom, franco kernel) <-------------------------------current
Samsung Galaxy S 4G (stock) <-----------------------------------------------------------retired

hmendez787
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypr70 View Post
You mean you can get Lte signal with Claro on the Nexus 4? I never though Claro was using band 4 for its Lte service
Yes it works in some areas in Mayaguez near the mall i got lte and some speeds of 20 mbs. But the majority of the lte coverage is in the 700 mhz

rockypr70
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmendez787 View Post
Yes it works in some areas in Mayaguez near the mall i got lte and some speeds of 20 mbs. But the majority of the lte coverage is in the 700 mhz
Oh nice, I Think At&t is using both bands now here in Bayamon area because two months ago I test it and it wasnt working (only band17). The odd part is that i was comparing speed using my Nexus 4 connected to Lte band 4 vs a Galaxy S3 connected to band 17 and while mine was giving 30+mbps the galaxy was only giving 10+mbps, pretty weird. Anyways i am happy that in my home and my work i got Lte coverage for band 4.