5,596,128 Members 33,574 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] How to flash a factory image / return to stock / unlock / root #

Tip us?

evaradar
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Question, is there a reason to flash stock image at all if we get the phone brand new? Or is this only if we are coming from a custom ROM? Reason I ask, its not the question of build versions like the Galaxy Nexus - yakjux, and then flashing to yakju/takju, etc.

Just verifying that's all.
Evaradar
~ The One & Only

Current Phones
---------------
Nexus 4 8GB:
ROM: Stock 4.4.2
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: Stock.

Current Tablets

Nexus 7 32GB WiFi
ROM: ParanoidAndroid v4 Beta 1
Android version: 4.4.2
Recovery: TWRP v2.6.3.1

Nexus 7 16GB FHD WiFi
Recovery; Stock

tomedic
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
Strange. All the images flashed fine (without errors) and it won't boot?

Can't think of anything else to try at the moment.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
No errors, I checked the MD5 of the factory image and it's fine. I even re-downloaded it. I did every step as listed in your procedure (even the optional ones). The phone is dead now, it's charging. It spent over 20 minutes on the X. Everything seems to work per your instructions. I don't get it. Could something be corrupted on my phone itself? System/Boot/Recovery images are all dated Jan 1/09, but I assume that's correct (it's from Google after all). Should I try directly flashing CWM recovery instead of stock during the initial process? I dunno...

I will try your method from the beginning again tomorrow.

I assume I'm not bricked if I can still do this stuff. It doesn't bode well if you don't know what's wrong either. I appreciate any further help/suggestions...

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 7760

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaradar View Post
Question, is there a reason to flash stock image at all if we get the phone brand new? Or is this only if we are coming from a custom ROM? Reason I ask, its not the question of build versions like the Galaxy Nexus - yakjux, and then flashing to yakju/takju, etc.

Just verifying that's all.
No, no reason to flash a stock image on a brand new phone. Only if you want to go back to stock following a custom ROM.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...

Maverick1707
Old
(Last edited by Maverick1707; 24th November 2012 at 12:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomedic View Post
No errors, I checked the MD5 of the factory image and it's fine. I even re-downloaded it. I did every step as listed in your procedure (even the optional ones). The phone is dead now, it's charging. It spent over 20 minutes on the X. Everything seems to work per your instructions. I don't get it. Could something be corrupted on my phone itself? System/Boot/Recovery images are all dated Jan 1/09, but I assume that's correct (it's from Google after all). Should I try directly flashing CWM recovery instead of stock during the initial process? I dunno...

I will try your method from the beginning again tomorrow.

I assume I'm not bricked if I can still do this stuff. It doesn't bode well if you don't know what's wrong either. I appreciate any further help/suggestions...
It happened to me the same thing... I did everything right just as suggested in every step, but my phone won't get past the X logo... I solved it by going to the stock recovery (unhide the menu by pressing POWER+VOL. UP), wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition. Reboot (to me it rebooted automatically after wiping the cache partition) and everything went fine, it took very few time to get past the X logo...

Hope it works for you too.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Maverick1707 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

efrant
Old
(Last edited by efrant; 24th November 2012 at 04:15 PM.)
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 7760

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1707 View Post
It happened to me the same thing... I did everything right just as suggested in every step, but my phone won't get past the X logo... I solved it by going to the stock recovery (unhide the menu by pressing POWER+VOL. UP), wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition. Reboot (to me it rebooted automatically after wiping the cache partition) and everything went fine, it took very few time to get past the X logo...

This is indeed strange, as steps D10 and D13 do exactly that: factory reset and wipe cache.

In any case, I will make a note of it in the first post.

Google Nexus 5

The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

evaradar
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
No, no reason to flash a stock image on a brand new phone. Only if you want to go back to stock following a custom ROM.

Gotcha. By the way when I rooted the Nexus 4 even before this guide, I know how to do it but I had one slight issue after flashing TWRP's latest recovery. When I tried to enter Recovery mode on the phone I got the Red Triangular Exclamation mark, even after flashing the stock recovery back. To get it working I had to type in fastboot erase cache to get it working then rebooted the bootloader to test it out and it was fine.

Then after installing SuperSu using TWRP, it got stuck on the Nexus logo, even after pressing down on the Power Key for 10 seconds or slightly longer same thing. Then I resolved the problem by clearing cache and dalvik cache using TWRP and it solved the problem.

So just a heads up if anyone runs into this problem.
Evaradar
~ The One & Only

Current Phones
---------------
Nexus 4 8GB:
Recovery: Stock.

Current Tablets

Nexus 7 32GB WiFi
ROM: ParanoidAndroid v4 Beta 1
Android version: 4.4.2
Recovery: TWRP v2.6.3.1

Nexus 7 16GB FHD WiFi
Recovery; Stock
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evaradar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tomedic
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1707 View Post

It worked! Thanks man!

And thank you efrant. Now to switch recoveries and get root!

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Gotcha. By the way when I rooted the Nexus 4 even before this guide, I know how to do it but I had one slight issue after flashing TWRP's latest recovery. When I tried to enter Recovery mode on the phone I got the Red Triangular Exclamation mark, even after flashing the stock recovery back. To get it working I had to type in fastboot erase cache to get it working then rebooted the bootloader to test it out and it was fine.

Then after installing SuperSu using TWRP, it got stuck on the Nexus logo, even after pressing down on the Power Key for 10 seconds or slightly longer same thing. Then I resolved the problem by clearing cache and dalvik cache using TWRP and it solved the problem.

So just a heads up if anyone runs into this problem.
Yup, I just rooted and had to do the same thing.

I assume if I wanted to keep the custom recovery I would just have to: fastboot flash recovery customrecovery.img ?

Thanks again all. These little hiccups make it interesting!

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 7760

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
By the way when I rooted the Nexus 4 even before this guide, I know how to do it but I had one slight issue after flashing TWRP's latest recovery. When I tried to enter Recovery mode on the phone I got the Red Triangular Exclamation mark, even after flashing the stock recovery back. To get it working I had to type in fastboot erase cache to get it working then rebooted the bootloader to test it out and it was fine.
As I mentioned before, the "Red Triangular Exclamation mark" is the stock recovery. It gets flashed on every re-boot if you updated you stock ROM via an OTA update. More details on this in this thread.

Quote:
Again, interesting. Not sure why this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomedic View Post
I assume if I wanted to keep the custom recovery I would just have to: fastboot flash recovery customrecovery.img ?
Correct.

Google Nexus 5

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jimmyz
Old
(Last edited by jimmyz; 24th November 2012 at 07:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
As I mentioned before, the "Red Triangular Exclamation mark" is the stock recovery. It gets flashed on every re-boot if you updated you stock ROM via an OTA update. More details on this in this thread.

Again, interesting. Not sure why this is.

Correct.
I'm assuming that like the GN we need to rename the recovery-from-boot.p file if we want our custom recovery to survive a reboot?
EDIT- never mind I just looked through your 101 thread and answered my own question- thanks!!
Touch Pro2 (Rhodium)
Sprint

spaceman860
Old
Thanks Meter 926
Thank you for making this thread over here. Glad to have you as a moderator. I hope every noob reads all of your threads.

Sent from my BAKED N7
Phone/NEXUS 5
Rom/DIRTY UNICORNS
Kernel/FRANCO
Recovery/TWRP
G1>N1>GN>N7>N4>N5

Tags
efrant, flash factory image, return to stock, root