Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,872 Members 52,859 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How-To] Root and unlock the bootloader of the Nexus 4/5 without wiping data

Tip us?

mihahn
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGvossman View Post
I apologize for asking so many questions but what exactly is "updating the binaries". Is that just for the app itself or does it do something to the phone?
It updates the superuser binary that got installed by Towelroot I guess

Devices/Links/Information:

Device:Google Nexus 4 8gb
ROM:Stock Android 4.4.2 [KOT49H]

Device:Google Nexus 7 32gb
ROM:Stock Android 4.4.2 [KRT16O]

Device:Xperia Mini Pro SK17i
ROM: Super Jelly Bean 8.0
Kernel:nAa 2.6 [CWM]

Device:Raspberry Pi Model B

For a Rooting Guide for xperia 2011 devices, click me! | To unlock the Bootloader, click me! | How to install a custom kernel/rom? Click me | Super Jelly Bean 8.0 for xperia mdpi

anees167
Old
Thanks Meter 8
will this method work on the nexus 5?
MY DEVICES= LG COOKIE (STOLEN) > SAMSUNG G600 (DEAD) > ORANGE SAN FRANCISCO/ ZTE BLADE (SOLD) > SONY ERICSSON XPERIA PLAY (SOLD) > SONY XPERIA S (SOLD) > LG NEXUS 4 (CURRENT)

dodgebizkit
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihahn View Post
This is a tutorial on how to root and unlock the bootloader of the nexus 4 without wiping any data!

Note: I'm not responsible for any damage on your phone! You choose to do these modifications and you are responsible for any problems!

I tested this on Android 4.4.3, but you may try it on other android versions, too. Please report if it works

1. Install the towelroot app (xda thread) from the project site! Please thank geohot, he made this possible!

2. Open the app and click on "make it ra1n"

3. Wait 15 seconds and the phone will reboot!

Congratulations! Your phone is rooted now!

4. Install either SuperSu or Superuser

F

a) In the app update your binary the "normal way" (without a custom recovery)

b)
1. Install BootUnlocker for nexus devices to unlock your bootloader! In the app, click "unlock" to unlock it!

2. Now you are able to install a custom recovery like TWRP or cwm

3. Boot up your system again, open SuperSu or Superuser and update the binary (using "TWRP/CWM")

This is it! You're rooted now and you can easily unlock/relock your bootloader using the BootUnlocker app without wiping any data

Note: This was not my work! I just wrote down some steps to root and unlock

How to unroot:

1. Reflash the stock recovery image/stock kernel/etc (only necessary if you are running a custom kernel/recovery/etc)

2. Open BootUnlocker and lock the bootloader. Now you are able to uninstall the app!

3. Open SuperSu -> Settings -> Full unroot. This will unroot your phone and the app will automatically be uninstalled.

4. Reboot and done
Thanks, for the average user who doesn't use custom roms or anything really crazy, is super su or Superuser a better option? Or is it the same more or less? Thanks

mihahn
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by anees167 View Post
will this method work on the nexus 5?
Yes, it should work fine. Try it
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgebizkit View Post
Thanks, for the average user who doesn't use custom roms or anything really crazy, is super su or Superuser a better option? Or is it the same more or less? Thanks
These two are basically the same, as they are apps to manage the superuser permissions of other apps. You may use the one you like

Devices/Links/Information:

Device:Google Nexus 4 8gb
ROM:Stock Android 4.4.2 [KOT49H]

Device:Google Nexus 7 32gb
ROM:Stock Android 4.4.2 [KRT16O]

Device:Xperia Mini Pro SK17i
ROM: Super Jelly Bean 8.0
Kernel:nAa 2.6 [CWM]

Device:Raspberry Pi Model B

For a Rooting Guide for xperia 2011 devices, click me! | To unlock the Bootloader, click me! | How to install a custom kernel/rom? Click me | Super Jelly Bean 8.0 for xperia mdpi

Messpelled
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up That was easy

Of course I don't see this thread unitl after I spent the last hour setting everything up in Ubuntu to root the old fashioned way! Used this and was rooted in no time.

ashutoshchauhan211
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default ota updates affected or not?

does using this towelroot will affect the ota updates i.e. if any ota update comes will i able to install as in the stock rom...?? please clarify this...

Rohit02
Old
Thanks Meter 3439

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshchauhan211 View Post
does using this towelroot will affect the ota updates i.e. if any ota update comes will i able to install as in the stock rom...?? please clarify this...
see towelroot only roots your device.

You can get OTA PROVIDED - You dont change any of the stock files.. Nothing should be changed.
Device : Nexus 4
Don't beg for THANKS.. You will get it if you deserve it.

"Half of the bugs are due to dirty flashing,Always clean install it will prevent the thread from cluttering" - Rohit02

Nexus 4 Whatsapp Group - (Open for all Nexus 4 users/ Nexus 5 too)

marculin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihahn View Post
[SIZE=4]This is a tutorial on how to root and unlock the bootloader of the nexus 4 without wiping any data!
b)
1. Install BootUnlocker for nexus devices to unlock your bootloader! In the app, click "unlock" to unlock it!

2. Now you are able to install a custom recovery like TWRP or cwm

3. Boot up your system again, open SuperSu or Superuser and update the binary (using "TWRP/CWM")
Hi, I have rooted Nexus 4 4.4.4 with towelroot app (and I have SuperSu app).
Now, If I install custom recovery, I will lost data? With custom recovery, I will get OTA update?
Thank you

nexusfans
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy blank nexus 4 without ROM :(

hi

i tried to install android L, forgot to backup the old ROM , unable to flash the new android L and i cant even restore the old ROM because i forgot to backup the ROM. Tried to do ADB SIDELOAD also....it says cannot read the (file)...tried so many times
i am unable to install a ROM in my nexus 4....only thing i can see in my phone is recovery mode....
Kindly please help.........anyone please reply to this post....and help me......