5,605,438 Members 42,637 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Possible MAJOR discovery regarding battery/red lite issue.

Tip us?

ethugp3pp3r
Old
(Last edited by ethugp3pp3r; 1st February 2013 at 02:11 PM.) Reason: video
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Exclamation Possible MAJOR discovery regarding battery/red lite issue.

So I'm one of the people that's been having major issues with the red light/ no boot issue.

I think the issue (for me at least) is a hardware flaw. Upon completing the steps to reboot the phone (take case apart, disconnect battery, connect power, wait for battery charge indication, reconnect battery) I can get the phone to boot and function just fine.

I have discovered that upon screwing the battery connection back into the phone, it applies a bit too much pressure on the connection which sends the phone back into the redlite "no boot" mode.

TL;DR, If the battery is connected to the phone too "tightly" with the screws, the issue is caused.

Hardware flaw? I think so.

My Fix? Took out the connecting screws, the connection seems to hold without them and there is no more pressure on the connection without the added thickness of the screws (when putting the back of the case on)

EDIT: Here's a video of what I'm talking about, for those of you who haven't had to deal with this (yet?)

Video of Issue

Hey Google/LG, if you're reading this, Send me a new phone, please!! This is unacceptable!
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ethugp3pp3r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Michealtbh
Old
Thanks Meter 809
Default Re: Possible MAJOR discovery regarding battery/red lite issue.

Good find. Maybe you could try packing the back in places so that no pressure is put on the battery

ethugp3pp3r
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealtbh View Post
Good find. Maybe you could try packing the back in places so that no pressure is put on the battery
Good Idea, will try it if I encounter this problem again. Seems to hold up, though, even when pressing on the back of the case where the connection is made (down and to the left about 0.5cm from the "n" on the back of the case).
__________________________________________________ _______
Nexus 4 16GB

ROM:ParanoidAndroid 3.6+ nightlies

KERNEL:Franco Nightlies
The Following User Says Thank You to ethugp3pp3r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ethugp3pp3r
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
bump--I think people should really see this.
Nexus 4 16GB

The Following User Says Thank You to ethugp3pp3r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shockem
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 337

DONATE TO ME
Nice find dude!
Current Phone: Google Nexus 4
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus S, HTC HD2, HTC Desire, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, etc.

Add me to your circles on Google+

Follow me on Twitter @vevekkk

AppReviewBros
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Default Re: Possible MAJOR discovery regarding battery/red lite issue.

I always thought it was a software issue but turns out it is not!

It's still strange that most people have encountered the issue when benchmarking.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ethugp3pp3r
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbboy View Post
It's still strange that most people have encountered the issue when benchmarking.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence. I'll still stay away from benchmarking, though.
Nexus 4 16GB

atulalvenkar
Old
Thanks Meter 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbboy View Post
I always thought it was a software issue but turns out it is not!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
If the finding is true then here my theory on why it happens mostly during benchmarks.When you run benchmarks, your phone and battery heats up a lot. This can cause the connectors to expand causing screws to get tightened.
LG Google Nexus 4 Stock Rooted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atulalvenkar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

erikwervo
Old
(Last edited by erikwervo; 2nd February 2013 at 05:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 58
i can confirmed this find is true, altough its kinda late for me to read this thread.

here is my version.

im a proud owner of nexus 4. got my phone from the 1st batch order, and the original bumper also
this morning while watching my kid at school, got nothing to do but overclocking my nexus 4 with morfic's latest beta kernel.

silly i put the min and max at 1.8++ghz and run an antutu test on it. and in another 5 seconds the N4 turned off and practically dead. all buttons combo were negatives. as soon as i arrived home i plugged in the official charger. it just blinking red. few moments after i plugged in the N4 to my laptop. blinking red and driver installed notification showed up. then the red light gone. like forever... no red when i put it on charger nor when connected to the laptop.

ok its a dead meat. im in JAKARTA n got my n4 from the US. none of any LG service centre in my country could help me with it. and the RMA things just too far from me.

so since i left with zero to none option, i was wondering "what if i take off the battery?"
i remember read an article from ifixit about how to teardown the nexus 4 then i found the link.

here it is:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+4+Teardown/11781/1

what i did was:
1. follow steps number 6 [pictures #1 & #2]
2. number 7 [pictures #1 & #2]
3 and number 9. [pictures #1 & #2. no need do the pictures #3]
4. see the white wire with blue sticky tape right next to the battery? i dont know what is that but i unplugged the golden head off also.

i left it that way for 10 minutes before i put it back all together again [ including the screw battery port holder. just dont screwed them too tight. give a small effort to none power ]

all done and i pressed the power button. its ON like nothing happened before.

when im about to share my fixed in the other thread, i got someone direct me to this thread. so here i am confirming this fixed is legit
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to erikwervo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

draikz
Old
Thanks Meter 36

DONATE TO ME
Wow!! This fixed my nexus that didn't even have an LED light. You are a life saver!

It's been dead for a week and I was just waiting on warranty. But now it's up and running like a bawse!
Fix your "vibrick"!

CURRENT DEVICE(S)
Model: Nexus 4 (Mako)
ROM: CM 10.1 - SNAPSHOT
Kernel: Franco

The Following User Says Thank You to draikz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]