Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,814 Members 50,777 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Manual USB OTG working

Tip us?

Noc2
Old
Thanks Meter 35
I just found out that it won't be possible to use SlimPort and USB devices at the same time.
Video and USB are switch at the connector.

Murukesh
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
mouses generally have a lower consumption than Keyboards, for obvious reasons.
What obvious reasons? Personal experience with three different sets of wireless mice+keyboard combos suggest different to me.
But if a step up transformer would do, then maybe a cell wouldn't be needed, right? A college kid could build one from components from his labs.

SSMI
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default Re: Manual USB OTG working

Do we know if it outputs any kind of voltage right now? I would be willing to try the step us with some flash memory over the next few weeks but don't know what kinds of changes we would need to make in the kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
HTC Aria, AT&T Captivate, Epic 4g on VM and now
Nexus 4 on CM10.1 with franco's kernel
Nexus 7 (2013) CM10.2

definition CyanogenMod - Best ROM to run on any phone that supports it

memebr
Old
(Last edited by memebr; 22nd February 2013 at 07:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murukesh View Post
What obvious reasons? Personal experience with three different sets of wireless mice+keyboard combos suggest different to me.
But if a step up transformer would do, then maybe a cell wouldn't be needed, right? A college kid could build one from components from his labs.
USB mouses consumption is lower than keyboards due the size of the circuits, usually keyboards uses a larger micro-controller, some of them with macro capability and other stuff even have external memory

Based on my actual and previews USB Keyboard and Mouse set, usually the keyboard consumes near to 500mA and the mouse near 120mA

for the step-up question, yes, if the phone spits out something trough the USB_VCC, a cell will not be needed. its cheap to built a step-up circuit, if the guy have a protoboard the sky is the limit! but i don't think he can do one as tiny like pololu does

the size of the circuit itself is ridiculous:

and its cheap, i ordered 2 to play a lil bit with it and see what i can do, but since i don't live in the US i don't know how long till it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMI View Post
Do we know if it outputs any kind of voltage right now? I would be willing to try the step us with some flash memory over the next few weeks but don't know what kinds of changes we would need to make in the kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
For what i was reading in this topic, some one said that the phone output on the USB_VCC is the same output of the battery, 3.7~3.8V

But that step-up booster works in a range starting from 0.8V to the max output (5V)
The Following User Says Thank You to memebr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrWulf
Old
(Last edited by MrWulf; 22nd February 2013 at 07:47 AM.) Reason: removed irrelevant component
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elzafir View Post
Yes. This! A battery powered USB OTG cable!

To OP, are you planning to develop a kernel and maintain it or just the develop the OTG functions?

For the auto-enabling OTG support, maybe make an app to manually enable it? Or we could persuade Stickmount's developers to incorporate an "enable OTG" button.
I like the idea. Might be a little niche for a hardware company to develop it though. It might not be as elegant as a OTG cable with a battery imbedded, but I'm sure you could just connect an external battery via micro USB to the Y cable and thus you have something portable without the need for a power outlet. Please correct me if I am wrong on this, I've never tested it myself.

Noc2
Old
(Last edited by Noc2; 22nd February 2013 at 10:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 35
Just for demonstration:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9iC...it?usp=sharing

But for me is it kind of useless without SlimPort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usb.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1751058  

skezza
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Keeping the faith

androidfoshizzle
Old
Thanks Meter 139

Realized this when connecting my N4 to a ps3 to copy my awesome r32 pic I took GT5, but nope...

NEXUS 4=Richard mille watch

sga999
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfoshizzle View Post
Realized this when connecting my N4 to a ps3 to copy my awesome r32 pic I took GT5, but nope...

NEXUS 4=Richard mille watch
Sorry, but the meaning of this post eludes me!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sga999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Murukesh
Old
Thanks Meter 7

Damned expensive watches. A quick Google shows one worth $77000, and yes, I didn't forget the decimal point.

Sent from my Nexusthulhu II via the xda-developers app.