5,593,401 Members 36,604 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Manual USB OTG working

Tip us?

sga999
Old
(Last edited by sga999; 23rd March 2013 at 10:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 54
I'm having a problem setting this up, and I wonder if anyone has some advice.

I successfully set this up (see post #11) with a USB OTG cable and a powered hub. But I wanted to set it up exactly as CaptainMuon suggested, i.e. with the Y-cable. It just came today, and it's not working. As CaptainMuon said in a later post, there are lots of cables out there, good and bad, so who knows if mine is good.

Here is the cable listing on ebay, not that anyone will be able to tell if it's good or not!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-A-Fe...item3cc23945d3

I connected everything just as CaptainMuon suggested:
- Y cable power plug (typically red) to the PC or adapter
- Other Y cable plug into the OTG cable
- OTG cable into the phone
- USB device into the Y cable socket

I am connecting to my laptop to get power. The only questionable part was which part of the Y-cable had power...my Y-cable did not have a red plug (male USB A). So I'm using the "skinnier" one, and it must be the right one. I say that because if I try hooking the other male USB plug to my laptop, I am able to see the phone as my E: drive. That tells me that is the data cable.

When I issue "lsusb" before the "echo host" command, there are 2 entries. IThe "echo host" command always adds a 3rd entry. On my successful try (with the USB powered hub instead of the Y-cable), 2 more entries show for the actual device(USB microsd adapter) that I inserted into the hub. But in this unsuccessful try, only the 3 entries show for "lsusb", and the device will not work. I try to mount it with stickmount, but there is no point in that....the fact that no new entries show for the device means the stickmount will not work.

So...I guess this means I have a bad Y-cable. Does someone have a suggestion for a simple way to prove the Y-cable does or doesn't supply power? I mean, something that doesn't involve the phone at all. I hope that isn't too vague!

EDIT: Well, a thumbdrive is working fine with the Y-cable. This is the opposite of what occurred with the USB powered hub. I could get the microsd adapter with a microsd card to work fine. But I could not get a thumbdrive to work. So I'm confused, yet I'm very happy to see that my Y-cable is working fine. So I apologize for the long post!

EDIT2: About a month later, I got another Y-cable. It works well. The Y-cable mentioned above obviously had some capability, but it must have been flawed. The new one allows charging to occur also.

sga999
Old
(Last edited by sga999; 24th February 2013 at 06:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc2 View Post
Just for demonstration:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9iC...it?usp=sharing

But for me is it kind of useless without SlimPort.
Your photo shows a "Powerbank". Did you actually get this working with it? Or since you said "demo", was this just a picture without actually having used the powerbank in a test with your Nexus 4?

I'm asking because I bought a cheap Power Bank from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000mah-2-US...item35c17a088f

I had asked in post #30 about external battery pack or chargers and whether they would work instead of the powered USB hub that I had already used. No one answered, so I went ahead and bought that power bank. But it isn't working. It seems to give power for about 20 seconds to a thumbdrive or a mouse. Then it just turns itself off.

So....I'm wondering what type of "power bank" might work. It looks like maybe this 5000mah one is only for charging, not really powering a device? It will stay on when charging my Nexus 4. And it stays on if I just plug a laptop cooler's USB male plug into it. But as I said, it won't do that for any of the devices I want it to!

Does anyone know if one of these power banks with higher mah would work? Or do I need something completely different to supply the external power? My goal is to have "small" battery power for this setup rather than a powered USB hub.

Noc2, if your Powerbank is actually working, what type is it (brand, how many mah, etc.)? Thanks.

Noc2
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Default AW: Manual USB OTG working

No it's not just a picture. It's actually working without any external power source. It's a 2200 mAh Powerbank by Treckstore

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B007HJG...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Noc2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PRADA_Customizer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
is there in the next time an update for 4.2.2 because it's unusable to flash back to 4.2.1 ?

Noc2
Old
(Last edited by Noc2; 24th February 2013 at 11:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 35

I have 4.2.2 and usb is working fine here. You can see the cursor on the picture in my previous posts. Maybe I will make a video later.

Edit:
Oh maybe you are referring to the call problem. I must admit I didn't try it.

sga999
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
No it's not just a picture. It's actually working without any external power source. It's a 2200 mAh Powerbank by Treckstore

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B007HJG...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Noc2, I'm trying to figure out why my setup isn't working with the power bank. It's not the same as your Trekstor, but I would think it should be working similarly. So I need to see what else is different. For the USB OTG cable, are you using one like osi13 mentioned in post #40 (it is like OTG and Y-cable combined), or are you using a "standard" OTG cable, connected to a separate Y-cable (like the OP mentioned originally)?

I wonder if you could take another picture where I could see the entire cables and how they are attached, etc. I don't seem to be very good at visualizing this stuff without seeing it all. Thanks.

YourNameInHere
Old
Thanks Meter 7
someone got this working with a custome kernel like the one from franco?
I added the line "motg->pdata->otg_control = OTG_USER_CONTROL;" and i can see the file "mode" but i wasn't able to change the value from "none" to "host" or "peripheral". It seems the kernel overwrites the file if it is changed (the date of the file changed).
Another info would be helpful - must "USB_OTG" enabled in the kernel-config? I tried this also but at this time i wasn't able to compile the kernel (error at usb host or somthing)

thx
The Following User Says Thank You to YourNameInHere For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Noc2
Old
Thanks Meter 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sga999 View Post

I wonder if you could take another picture where I could see the entire cables and how they are attached, etc. I don't seem to be very good at visualizing this stuff without seeing it all. Thanks.
I'm currently not at home. But I will take another picture tomorrow. I don't use any Y-cable. The powerbank is directly plugged into the usb hub with a micro usb female to usb male adapter.

sga999
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
I'm currently not at home. But I will take another picture tomorrow. I don't use any Y-cable. The powerbank is directly plugged into the usb hub with a micro usb female to usb male adapter.

Thanks, Noc2, I really appreciate it. I'm baffled as to why my setup with the power bank isn't working. It does work with a powered usb hub. Maybe when I see your next picture, I'll see another way to try.

Noc2
Old
(Last edited by Noc2; 25th February 2013 at 10:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 35
Okay here are two more pictures:

This one shows the whole setup with cables

I used the following:
DELOCK Kabel USB micro-B St 90 Grad
DELOCK Adapter USB micro-A+B
Hama USB 2.0 Hub ( it's a powered usb hub, but as you can see in the pictures i used it as a normal hub)
TrekStor Power-Bank 2200

The second one shows that the phone is even charging while its connected to the usb hub

I even tried to use an usb flash drive, but it didn't work.

And here is a crappy video:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USB3.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1759106   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB2.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1759107