5,597,397 Members 31,304 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anybody thinks the Nexus 4 was built from rejected bin Optimus G parts?

Tip us?

Dan37tz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 267
Default Anybody thinks the Nexus 4 was built from rejected bin Optimus G parts?

So what do you guys think?

I'm still puzzled by how Google can sell basically the same phone as the Optimus G for half the price.

Benchmarks show heat issues with the N4 and very low heat tolerances before the CPU/GPU starts throttling massively cutting performance basically in half.

So maybe when Google approached LG to build the N4 and told them they need to sell it for $299 off contract, LG was like..,"hmmm.. we do have a bunch of rejected bin parts from the Optimus G we could sell for half price. Deal, we'll build the N4 for $299 Cha-Ching!!$!"

Manufacturers bin parts all the time, Intel, Nvidia ect. bin their CPU's and GPU's and basically put the rejected ones in lower end models and downclocks them.

LG makes some amazing IPS $1000 panels for Apple and Dell, the ones that don't cut it get sold for basically nothing and put into cheaper non-brand name cases (Yamakasi,Acheiva ect) and sold for $300.

Makes me think that maybe LG is doing the same with the N4 line up. What do you guys think? These thermal issues the N4 is facing is pointing me in that direction. Lower bin parts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan37tz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hero_Guy
Old
Thanks Meter 104
No

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Hero_Guy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

florian3000
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Interesting approach. But Google would go nuts if LG would so something like that. I can't really give an educated answer but I personally don't think they do. Just a feeling.

richteralan
Old
Thanks Meter 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan37tz View Post

I'm still puzzled by how Google can sell basically the same phone as the Optimus G for half the price.

Benchmarks show heat issues with the N4 and very low heat tolerances before the CPU/GPU starts throttling massively cutting performance basically in half.

So maybe when Google approached LG to build the N4 and told them they need to sell it for $299 off contract, LG was like..,"hmmm.. we do have a bunch of rejected bin parts from the Optimus G we could sell for half price. Deal, we'll build the N4 for $299 Cha-Ching!!$!"

Manufacturers bin parts all the time, Intel, Nvidia ect. bin their CPU's and GPU's and basically put the rejected ones in lower end models and downclocks them.

LG makes some amazing IPS $1000 panels for Apple and Dell, the ones that don't cut it get sold for basically nothing and put into cheaper non-brand name cases (Yamakasi,Acheiva ect) and sold for $300.

Makes me think that maybe LG is doing the same with the N4 line up. What do you guys think? These thermal issues the N4 is facing is pointing me in that direction. Lower bin parts.
It is very possible and happen a lot in computer world.

But we can't know for sure. Both LG and Google won't say anything about this.
rasbeanjelly + franco

Richieboy67
Old
Thanks Meter 303

DONATE TO ME
It costs apple like $166 to make an iPhone..google is making money..believe it.The markup is insane on phones..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Dubhaltach
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:

Unlikely tbh. Good comspiracy thogh I think google subsidizes it to sell it almost above cost. LG doesn't, thus non play countries are screwed. EU wouldn't allow them to sell it at cost or below so the 8GB is slightly above cost, and they know that many people won't buy that, so the 16GB is all profit.

hbkmog
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:

Ah stop this kind of conspiracy. Say it when you have some proof.

Mash87
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieboy67 View Post
It costs apple like $166 to make an iPhone..google is making money..believe it.The markup is insane on phones..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
this

+ selling it for a lower price means selling more. More sold devices result in more money through play store (apps, music, books, movies...)

mi7chy
Old
Thanks Meter 262
Another dumb conspiracy theory.

Mods, we need a "dumb conspiracy theories because I wasn't able to get one" thread to consolidate these into.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mi7chy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xdviper
Old
Thanks Meter 153
If this were the case, you know warranty returns and repairs and everything else would drive up the cost for both LG and Google, no?
Nexus 4&5
Nexus 7 (2013)
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.