Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,461 Members 47,536 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 4 Color Settings [spreadsheet]

Tip us?

Ngo93
Old
(Last edited by Ngo93; 2nd November 2013 at 06:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 970
Phone Nexus 4 Color Settings [spreadsheet]

Update: FauxDisplay (and the spreadsheet) have been updated with new names for the gray scales and gradients. Also, the gradient columns come before the the gray scale columns now so don't get mixed up when inputting values! And when submitting values please go ahead and start putting the gradients first so it's easier to read

Hi everyone! I've read that many people have said that they are experiencing a yellow / blue tint on their screens when viewing at certain angles and are attempting to tweak their color settings to improve it. Or you could just be trying to make your screen look sexier in general, what do I know?

Now back in the Galaxy Nexus forums we had a publicly accessible spreadsheet just for different color settings and I thought that we could do the same here. As more kernels come out we will most likely be seeing different color variations with each one so here is where everyone can share their own personal color settings for all to try!
Also, if you see the bolded line (besides the ones from the devs), those are the settings that I personally use and recommend

Now the spreadsheet is split up into 3 sheets. Sheet 1 is Gamma, Sheet 2 is Gradient / Gray and Sheet 3 is Basic. A quick explanation:

Gamma - Franco's introduced gamma settings
Gradient / Gray - Faux's introduced settings (gradients and gray scales)
Basic - basic RGB values along w/ amp 0 and amp 1

This will keep the spreadsheet looking more organized instead of having everything crammed into one sheet, enjoy!

I'm looking forward to seeing (and trying!) all the different display configurations from everybody!
So everyone please feel free to share your colors here

Public Spreadsheet

Apps
FauxClock
FauxDisplay
franco.Kernel updater
Trinity Kernel Toolbox
Nexus 4 Display Control
Trickster MOD Kernel Settings
Display Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by faux123 View Post
Here's the Detailed IPS LCD controls and its relationship to Gamma Grey Scale generation:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10907896...ts/JD6uwscqtS8
Quote:
Originally Posted by faux123 View Post
Here's an explanation of FauxDisplay Settings in chart form.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IPS_LCD_Gamma_Curve.jpg
Views:	24974
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1717100  
The Following 107 Users Say Thank You to Ngo93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pheno.menon
Old
Thanks Meter 188
Added mine. You should link to the Nexus 4 Display Control app in OP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pheno.menon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Richieboy67
Old
Thanks Meter 303

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngo93 View Post
Hi everyone! I've read that many people have said that they are experiencing a yellow / blue tint on their screens when viewing at certain angles and are attempting to tweak their color settings to improve it. Or you could just be trying to make your screen look sexier in general, what do I know?

Now back in the Galaxy Nexus forums we had a publicly accessible spreadsheet just for different color settings and I thought that we could do the same here. As more kernels come out we will most likely be seeing different color variations with each one so here is where everyone can share their own personal color settings for all to try!

I've started off with a pretty simple spreadsheet for now and will add more sections / headers as the features arrive (such as contrast, CAB, etc.). Feel free to let me know if I've missed anything and I'm looking forward to seeing (and trying!) all the different display configurations from everybody!

So everyone please feel free to share / post / edit the spreadsheet with your colors

Public Spreadsheet

Also, I will try to make frequent backups of the spreadsheet because there are those childish people out there who just love to wipe the spreadsheets clean for their own amusement.
Not sure how any app is going to improve viewing angle colors.

sent via xda premium with Nexus 7 or Nexus 4!

Ngo93
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieboy67 View Post
Not sure how any app is going to improve viewing angle colors.

sent via xda premium with Nexus 7 or Nexus 4!
I've just read about people trying to fix their tint issues and it's alleviating it for some. But like I said, it's not just about fixing issues really. Everyone has different color preferences in general too.

MatAuc12
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Added couple values.
The Following User Says Thank You to MatAuc12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ngo93
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 970
Of course we have childish people messing up the spreadsheet (again) so I will be making backups often, thanks for everyone who have input values.

linelock
Old
Thanks Meter 188
Added some values as well.

I think you really have to experiment for your self as every screen will be different. I used an app called Display Tester for patterns. The best i could get the blue was 1.6 for gamma. I set red and green to 1.8 which put rest around the 2.2 goal. I'm still playing with color levels though.

Ngo93
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by linelock View Post
Added some values as well.

I think you really have to experiment for your self as every screen will be different. I used an app called Display Tester for patterns. The best i could get the blue was 1.6 for gamma. I set red and green to 1.8 which put rest around the 2.2 goal. I'm still playing with color levels though.
Nice! And you are right, every display is different. It will be interesting to see all the different combinations
I went ahead and added a value set that another user posted in Faux's thread. I have to say, these are really beautiful on my screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
I like AMOLED colours so this is as close as I could get:

R/G/B 255/255/255

Amp 0:
R/G/B 16/14/31

Amp 1:
R/G/B 1/2/6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngo93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

undercover
Old
(Last edited by undercover; 12th December 2012 at 11:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4258
Added my values. Aimed for as closely calibrated to 2.2 across the board as possible. Also, link display tester app in OP please, best way to check gamma values.
No matter what I do max I can get for blue is 1.8. Settled with that and r2.2,g2.2.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ngo93
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover View Post
Added my values. Aimed for as closely calibrated to 2.2 across the board as possible. Also, link display tester app in OP please, best way to check gamma values.
No matter what I do max I can get for blue is 1.8. Settled with that and r2.2,g2.2.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Done! I see a lot of people saying 2.2, is that the most preferred one? The spreadsheet is filling up a bit, keep it coming guys!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ngo93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]