Nexus 4 Color Settings [spreadsheet]

Search This thread

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
You can add an application form and read-only the spreadsheet. :good:

That's what I will do if it does get to the point where childish people keep messing things up. Seriously, people need to grow up. Messing with things like this is just so.... immature =\

desynch-

Apr 1, 2012
Davis, CA
Everything looks in order to me, what exactly happened? And I try to do frequent back ups so restoring it shouldn't be a problem most of the time. But if it does get to the point where it's so bad with people coming in and messing with it I will create one just for viewing and then open a separate for public add ons. That way I can add it to the viewable as I please. Or people can just post their settings here and I will add it. We had the same problem in the Galaxy Nexus forums :eek:

Last night I was viewing the spreadsheet to see which other values were off from others. One anonymous user came in and started pasting over listed values with "google is a flop hahahah". Before he did that he was pasting his grades in by accident.

Couldn't do anything but watch. :(

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Last night I was viewing the spreadsheet to see which other values were off from others. One anonymous user came in and started pasting over listed values with "google is a flop hahahah". Before he did that he was pasting his grades in by accident.

Couldn't do anything but watch. :(

Wel I guess someone fixed it then haha.

To whoever gave the spreadsheet a make over, thank you. It looks a lot nicer now :victory:

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Really good job with spreadsheet guys. Whoever did the overhaul get a massive THANKS! Also, please put as much info in description especially when basing setting off someone else. User that is close to mine but said that it was a bit too blue just revealed that quite possibly his display is cooler than mine :thumbup:
This way we get some reference on how varied displays get.
Also, has ANYONE got their blue over 1.8 gamma? Display tester is the app and I used it on about 25% brightness. Adding gamma values to description helps a lot too (like I did). That's the best reference you can get when choosing setup. Say mine are as close to properly calibrated as possible, amoled one was 2.4-2.6 gamma in each colour (RGBYCM).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Really good job with spreadsheet guys. Whoever did the overhaul get a massive THANKS! Also, please put as much info in description especially when basing setting off someone else. User that is close to mine but said that it was a bit too blue just revealed that quite possibly his display is cooler than mine :thumbup:
This way we get some reference on how varied displays get.
Also, has ANYONE got their blue over 1.8 gamma? Display tester is the app and I used it on about 25% brightness. Adding gamma values to description helps a lot too (like I did). That's the best reference you can get when choosing setup. Say mine are as close to properly calibrated as possible, amoled one was 2.4-2.6 gamma in each colour (RGBYCM).

Yes, it really does look beautiful now doesn't it? ;)
Just to make sure, the number our screens are set it is the number of the bar that doesn't show it's edges of the rectangle right? Like the one that just blends in?

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Added most balanced values I could achieve so far. Anyone wants to try?
Yay. These are the whitest whites I could have ever achieved imo.

Last edited:

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Added most balanced values I could achieve so far. Anyone wants to try?
Yay. These are the whitest whites I could have ever achieved imo.

Just tested your values and this is what I got:

Grey - 2.4
Red - 1.8
Green - 2.0
Blue - 1.6
Yellow - 2.2
Cyan - 2.1
Magenta - 1.8

kyleds

Jun 12, 2009
Honolulu
I'm using faux kernel and downloaded the app. But the gamma settings aren't song anything to the colors. I have rgb set to full 255 and tried adjusting to some of the settings on spreadsheet but no change. On official cm10.1 nightly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
I'm using faux kernel and downloaded the app. But the gamma settings aren't song anything to the colors. I have rgb set to full 255 and tried adjusting to some of the settings on spreadsheet but no change. On official cm10.1 nightly.

Lock your phone and then turn it back on to see the changes :)

Reactions: babalonius508

Sebacestmoi

Oct 11, 2005
Anyone has some good advices to use a screen calibrator (like X-Rite eye-one display 2) with the phone?
I personnaly launch the Windows app with it plugged to my computer and I put the calibrator on my Nexus 4 screen that display a white picture.

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Anyone has some good advices to use a screen calibrator (like X-Rite eye-one display 2) with the phone?
I personnaly launch the Windows app with it plugged to my computer and I put the calibrator on my Nexus 4 screen that display a white picture.

Sorry, I wouldn't know anything about that :silly:

AppReviewBros

Feb 27, 2012
Just got my Nexus 4 and I am glad I found this thread as the colors are really washed out and after using Galaxy S2 for a year it is even harder to get used to them.

Will report back once I manage to set decent quality colors.

kyleds

Jun 12, 2009
Honolulu
just wondering what you other guys got with stock colors before adjusting. These colors aren't all the exact matches, but as close to those number as i can tell.

White - 2.2
Red - 1.8
Green - 1.8
Blue - 1.6
Yellow - 2.0
Cyan - 2.0
Magenta - 1.8

Last edited:

Girn

Dec 20, 2009
I can't get magenta to blend no matter what!!!!!!
And I'm stuck on 1.6 for blue and if I increase the gamma it messes up other colors gamma

I'm on

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: FauxDisplay (and the spreadsheet) have been updated with new names for the gray scales and gradients. Also, the gradient columns come before the the gray scale columns now so don't get mixed up when inputting values! And when submitting values please go ahead and start putting the gradients first so it's easier to read :)

Hi everyone! I've read that many people have said that they are experiencing a yellow / blue tint on their screens when viewing at certain angles and are attempting to tweak their color settings to improve it. Or you could just be trying to make your screen look sexier in general, what do I know? ;)

Now back in the Galaxy Nexus forums we had a publicly accessible spreadsheet just for different color settings and I thought that we could do the same here. As more kernels come out we will most likely be seeing different color variations with each one so here is where everyone can share their own personal color settings for all to try! :good:
    Also, if you see the bolded line (besides the ones from the devs), those are the settings that I personally use and recommend :cowboy:

Now the spreadsheet is split up into 3 sheets. Sheet 1 is Gamma, Sheet 2 is Gradient / Gray, and Sheet 3 is Basic. A quick explanation:

Gamma - Franco's introduced gamma settings
    Gradient / Gray - Faux's introduced settings (gradients and gray scales)
    Basic - basic RGB values along w/ amp 0 and amp 1

This will keep the spreadsheet looking more organized instead of having everything crammed into one sheet, enjoy! :laugh:

I'm looking forward to seeing (and trying!) all the different display configurations from everybody! :D:highfive:
    So everyone please feel free to share your colors here :cyclops:

Public Spreadsheet

Apps
    FauxClock
    FauxDisplay
    franco.Kernel updater
    Trinity Kernel Toolbox
    Nexus 4 Display Control
    Trickster MOD Kernel Settings
    Display Tester

Here's the Detailed IPS LCD controls and its relationship to Gamma Grey Scale generation:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/109078966818501160423/posts/JD6uwscqtS8

Here's an explanation of FauxDisplay Settings in chart form.
    Faux,

Thanks for the explanation and chart! The guitar string analogy is an interesting way of visualizing the controls. I took a bit of time to tweak the explanation chart you created to better visualize the regions of influence. Is my new chart correct? Also, I noticed that gradient lower and gradient upper seem to have their labels reversed (functionality is as expected in FauxDsiplay).

On my device, the settings below (in FauxDisplay) produce a perfectly linear white-to-black gradient with punchy colors. The only problems remaining are the crushed whites/blacks in regions 0/7 and overall green tint. I haven't worked on eliminating the green for now, just trying to perfect the gamma gradient.

RGB: 255, 255, 255
    Gamma Amp 0: 31, 31, 31
    Gamma Amp 1: 0, 0, 0
    Grey 08-15: 0,0,0
    Grey 16-23: 0,0,0
    Grey 24-31: 0,0,0
    Grey 32-39: 7,7,7
    Grey 40-47: 7,7,7
    Grey 48-55: 7,7,7
    Grad Lower: 7,7,7
    Grad Upper: 7,7,7
    Grad Top Half 1: 7,7,7
    Grad Top Half 2: 7,7,7
    Grad Mid Point: 7,7,7
    Grad Bottom Half 1: 7,7,7
    Grad Bottom Half 2: 7,7,7

Any thoughts on how to eliminate the crushed whites/blacks in regions 0/7? I've also attached a white-to-black gradient for testing purposes.
    My first decent cal using an iDisplay3 colorimeter and Chromapure calibration software. Done at 50% Brightness with Voodoo screen test patterns. Needs a bit more refinement before it goes in the spreadsheet. Greyscale is good, just a little too much red in the darks. Gamma at 90% is too low, but mostly near 2.2 Gamut is quite near sRGB, but luminosity of primaries is way off. No idea how to fix that with fauxdisplay.
    Anyway, photos and videos still look way way better than stock IMO.

Colour Temp 255 244 228
    GammaAmp0 16 15 16
    GammaAmp 1 20 16 16
    Gamma Fine
    Gray08~15 0 1 2
    Gray16~23 4 4 4
    Gray24~31 4 4 4
    Gray32~39 4 4 4
    Gray40~47 5 5 5
    Gray48~55 6 3 7
    Gamma Grad
    Lower 0 0 0
    Upper 0 0 0
    TopHalf1 7 7 7
    TopHalf2 4 4 4
    MidPoint 2 2 2
    BottmHalf1 3 3 3
    BottmHalf2 1 1 1

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Also shouldn't we be targetting the sRGB gamma with starts at 1 and then rise to about 2.4

The AnandTech review of the iphone 5 is also not clear on this. Apple seem to target a constant gamma. For HDTV / home cinema (Rec 709) I target a constant gamma, but sRGB should be as per the wiki link above. Shouldn't it? Anyone?
    This is a double post from Faux's thread for those who dont follow. Settings for Faux Display. Based on PA Colors.

Always in RGB format.

Color Temp Tab

237, 234, 237

Gamma Amp Tab

Amp 0 26, 26, 31

Amp 1 0, 0, 0

Gamma Fine Tab

Gray 08-15 0, 0, 2
    Gray 16-23 4, 4, 7
    Gray 24-31 4, 4, 5
    Gray 32- 39 4, 4, 1
    Gray 40-47 6, 6, 6
    Gray 48-55 7, 7, 7

Gamma Grad Tab

Grad Lower 0, 0, 0
    Grad Upper 0, 0, 0
    Grad Top Half 0, 0, 0
    Grad Top Half 2 4, 4, 5
    Grad Mid Point 2, 2, 2
    Grad Lower Half 0, 0, 0
    Grad Lower Half2 2, 2, 3

Sorry for format, forum boards dont like extra spacing.

And coincidentally @cpufreak3, these do remind me a lot of my Gnex. The boldness of the colors with more precision.
    I've played a bit with my Nexus and my color calibration tool and I found these settings :

Screen luminosity : 25% = 120cd/m2 (recommanded settings for photograph monitor)

LG Presets = Best preset (Google one is definitly very bad, I'm unable to do anything with it)

Red : 248 Green : 240 Blue : 240 = 6500K (recommanded settings for photograph monitor, means a perfect white)

Red Amp 0 : 23 Green Amp 0 : 22 Blue Amp 0 : 22 Red Amp 1 : 7 Green Amp 1 : 7 Blue Amp 1 : 7 = Grey : 2.3 Red : 2.1 Green : 2.1 Blue : 2.0 Yellow : 2.2 Cyan : 2.1 Magenta : 2.1

I don't think I can do anything better (I've played about 3 hours with these settings, my mind is a little bit f***** :D)