Nexus 4 has LTE chip?

Search This thread

KevinChaos

May 13, 2011
Everyone's talking like they're going to use this when T-Mobile gets lte, sure there's compatibility built into the soc but there's no antenna. Most people won't get service unless they're right next to the tower. It was just cheaper to use the chip from the optimus g than to rebuild an entirely new chip for the n4

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Tell that to the Canadians who are using lte just fine without being "right next to the tower".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

burloak

Nov 24, 2012
Canmore, AB
Everyone's talking like they're going to use this when T-Mobile gets lte, sure there's compatibility built into the soc but there's no antenna. Most people won't get service unless they're right next to the tower. It was just cheaper to use the chip from the optimus g than to rebuild an entirely new chip for the n4

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Not sure of your source for your statement. You might want to peruse the work that Brian Klug has published at AnandTech.

Here in Canada the Nexus 4 performs similar in LTE aspects to iPhone 5. Same AWS LTE band, ping, download & upload speeds, coverage. In my experience the nexus actually seems to acquire LTE quicker and hold on a bit longer as you move into/out of LTE coverage areas. You will see the as Tmobile reforms their 3G AWS spectrum to LTE.

cturbos

Dec 13, 2008

atrocious00

Feb 14, 2011
Antennae?!?!?!?!

Wouldn't it still need antennae in place for LTE to function?

This is what im curious about as well. I can see a reason for them having an LTE chip on the phone, simply because it may be a highly cost effective manufacturing process to just build a kinda all in one chip that you put in several phones for multiple carriers. Perhaps google didnt want carriers to feel like they secretly duped them. Can anyone verify if the G Nex 4 can actually transmit and receive LTE bands, On my defy i had cyanogenmod 7 and a baseband switcher, Theoretically if there was one made specifically for the G Nex 4 and the multi band chip we know for sure its packing, then someone could test its ability to use LTE.... this would be the most epic phone suprise ever.
I WILL START FUNDING THIS PROJECT THIS MONTH IF ANYONE THINGS THEY CAN HELP DO THIS HIT ME UP.

juicyjones

Nov 16, 2012
Seattle

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Well it's working now, and there's a power amplifier and the whole antenna shebang on the N4, including the supporting and attendant software running in the baseband. The only reason it wouldn't work is if google pushes out an android update to the phones to disable it, which they haven't done yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

halninekay

Jul 26, 2012
Well it's working now, and there's a power amplifier and the whole antenna shebang on the N4, including the supporting and attendant software running in the baseband. The only reason it wouldn't work is if google pushes out an android update to the phones to disable it, which they haven't done yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Do you think it will work even in Germany with T-Mobile? Kinda noob question, I'm sorry.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    According to iFixit, the Nexus 4 has a Qualcomm WTR1605L seven-band 4G LTE chip!

what!?!?!

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+4+Teardown/11781/2

Band 4 LTE confirmed!!!
    Carriers can choose, depending on chip port
    availability and their respective roaming agreements, to offer devices that combine a wide array
    of 4G band combinations—including any of the following:
    • 700 MHz 3GPP bands (Band Classes 12, 13, 14, 17);
    • 850 MHz cellular band (Band Class 5);
    • Original PCS band (Band Class 2);
    • PCS Block G (Band Class 25);
    • AWS-1 band (Band Class 4);
    • Potential AWS-4 band (Band Class 23);
    • Original 800 MHz iDEN band (Band Class 26); and
    • BRS band (Band Class 41).

That's what it say about the chip's bands in the FCC documentation. Found here: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021921420
    OMG ! Unbelievable :D
    But curious why they've disabled it ! Hope Google comes out with an official statement fast !
    Btw hurry geeks now is your chance to ride new heights of fame - the one who manages to get this unlocked and working (if that's possible) will be featured in most tech blogs and magazines out there like - 'XXX from xda unearths disabled LTE in Nexus 4' ! :eek:

I will donate $100 to the first guy who does.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    All right lets see if I can work through this. I've been reading a lot of FCC documentation and going through some specs of the different chips.

The Qualcomm WTR1605L is a 7 band RF chip supporting three below 1 GHz, three higher bands, and one very high band. So this includes pretty much all bands currently used including the new LTE bands.

The Avago ACPM-7251 is indeed a power amplifier. Supporting Quad Band GSM/EDGE (GSM850/900, DCS1800/PCS1900) and UMTS Dual-Band (Band1 – UMTS & LTE and Band5 UMTS & LTE)

Notice it said LTE a few times in there.

There's some other crap I'm still looking through but the major point I'm getting at is that it looks like that chip isn't just sitting there doing nothing. The FCC doc ( http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021921420 ) Seems to suggest that the chipset that includes this WTR1605L is a new format they are using to try and futureproof phones from some possible "carrier aggregation" (I'm trying to wrap my head around all this so give me some slack here)
    This just in!
    Nexus 4 has a hidden SD card slot!!