FORUMS

Root T-Mobile S6/Edge on 5.1.1 Without Tripping Knox

If you purchase phones from a carrier, you may be no stranger to the difficulties … more

IonVR Coming Soon, HTC M9 Dev Edition Gets Android 5.1 – XDA TV

The HTC M9 Developer Edition has received Android 5.1. That and … more

Android 5.1.1 Omni ROM For Motorola Xoom

Back in Feb 2011, the Motorola Xoom became the first device to be sold with Android 3.0 … more

CleanSlate Brings Fingerprint Scanner Mod to HTC One M9+

Work of XDA Recognized Developer tbalden, CleanSlate custom kernel for the HTC … more

NFC Tags for Nexus 4

1,981 posts
Thanks Meter: 535
 
By krohnjw, Recognized Developer on 30th October 2012, 02:07 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
If anyone is looking to purchase NFC tags for the Nexus 4 be aware that Mifare Classic 1K tags are not going to work with this phone. Stick to NFC Forum Type 1-4 tags. If you need more than 144 bytes look for large Topaz tags or Desfire tags (2k, 4k).
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
30th October 2012, 02:37 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 138
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw

If anyone is looking to purchase NFC tags for the Nexus 4 be aware that Mifare Classic 1K tags are not going to work with this phone. Stick to NFC Forum Type 1-4 tags. If you need more than 144 bytes look for large Topaz tags or Desfire tags (2k, 4k).

Hey can you explain the reason why? Is there some sort of NFC specs? sort of how there are HDMI specs v1-v4?
30th October 2012, 02:41 AM |#3  
krohnjw's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 535
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbuff

Hey can you explain the reason why? Is there some sort of NFC specs? sort of how there are HDMI specs v1-v4?

Mifare Classic 1K tags *aren't* part of the NFC Forum specs. They are a legacy tag. NXP's controller (the one used in the Nexus S, Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, S3, etc) supported them in Android though.

They aren't supported on other devices (Blackberries, Windows Phone 8) as they technically aren't part of the NFC Forum standards.

With the Nexus 4 the NFC controller isn't from NXP. As a result it won't support the Mifare Classic 1K tags.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th October 2012, 04:03 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 138
 
More
Thanks for the info

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda app-developers app
31st October 2012, 11:07 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw

With the Nexus 4 the NFC controller isn't from NXP. As a result it won't support the Mifare Classic 1K tags.

Do you know which controller it is? And if that supports swp/hci? I.e. UICC secure element.
13th November 2012, 05:15 PM |#6  
Member
Flag Theley
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Can you tell me, which kind of tags i can use?
or maybe post a link to them?

I'm looking for this ones:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/10x-NFC-Tag-M...ht_2012wt_1208

They had ISO 14443A standard, which seems to be nfc type 2? can i use them with nexus4?

//EDIT: Or this ones, maybe work they?:
http://www.nfc-tag-shop.de/nfc/nfc-ntags-anti-metal-5
Last edited by Oggy512; 13th November 2012 at 05:21 PM.
13th November 2012, 05:18 PM |#7  
krohnjw's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 535
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy512

Can you tell me, which kind of tags i can use?
or maybe post a link to them?

I'm looking for this ones:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/10x-NFC-Tag-M...ht_2012wt_1208

They had ISO 14443A standard, which seems to be nfc type 2? can i use them with nexus4?

Those look like Classic 1K tags.

You can use Mifare Ultralight C, NTAG, Topaz, Desfire, Felica tags without any problems.
13th November 2012, 05:32 PM |#8  
Member
Flag Theley
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
okay, thanks!!

the second link i posted seems to use the "NXP Mifare NTAG 203" chipset with 168 byte. this would probably work you say?
13th November 2012, 05:33 PM |#9  
krohnjw's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 535
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy512

okay, thanks!!

the second link i posted seems to use the "NXP Mifare NTAG 203" chipset with 168 byte. this would probably work you say?

Yeah. Generally speaking anti-metal tags are more expensive as they have an isolation layer between the surface and the IC so that they work on metal.
13th November 2012, 05:47 PM |#10  
Member
Flag Theley
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
ok. i'm not sure which way i'll use the tags, but if i now buy them wihtout "metal-funktion", i have maybe to buy another ones.
so i now buy the "metal-funktion" tags and i'm on the secur side, u know
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes