XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NFC Tags for Nexus 4

Tip us?

krohnjw
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 524
Default NFC Tags for Nexus 4

If anyone is looking to purchase NFC tags for the Nexus 4 be aware that Mifare Classic 1K tags are not going to work with this phone. Stick to NFC Forum Type 1-4 tags. If you need more than 144 bytes look for large Topaz tags or Desfire tags (2k, 4k).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Warbuff
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw View Post
If anyone is looking to purchase NFC tags for the Nexus 4 be aware that Mifare Classic 1K tags are not going to work with this phone. Stick to NFC Forum Type 1-4 tags. If you need more than 144 bytes look for large Topaz tags or Desfire tags (2k, 4k).
Hey can you explain the reason why? Is there some sort of NFC specs? sort of how there are HDMI specs v1-v4?

krohnjw
Old
Thanks Meter 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbuff View Post
Hey can you explain the reason why? Is there some sort of NFC specs? sort of how there are HDMI specs v1-v4?
Mifare Classic 1K tags *aren't* part of the NFC Forum specs. They are a legacy tag. NXP's controller (the one used in the Nexus S, Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, S3, etc) supported them in Android though.

They aren't supported on other devices (Blackberries, Windows Phone 8) as they technically aren't part of the NFC Forum standards.

With the Nexus 4 the NFC controller isn't from NXP. As a result it won't support the Mifare Classic 1K tags.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Warbuff
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Thanks for the info

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda app-developers app

Bydand
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw View Post
With the Nexus 4 the NFC controller isn't from NXP. As a result it won't support the Mifare Classic 1K tags.
Do you know which controller it is? And if that supports swp/hci? I.e. UICC secure element.

Oggy512
Old
(Last edited by Oggy512; 13th November 2012 at 05:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Can you tell me, which kind of tags i can use?
or maybe post a link to them?

I'm looking for this ones:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/10x-NFC-Tag-M...ht_2012wt_1208

They had ISO 14443A standard, which seems to be nfc type 2? can i use them with nexus4?

//EDIT: Or this ones, maybe work they?:
http://www.nfc-tag-shop.de/nfc/nfc-ntags-anti-metal-5

krohnjw
Old
Thanks Meter 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy512 View Post
Can you tell me, which kind of tags i can use?
or maybe post a link to them?

I'm looking for this ones:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/10x-NFC-Tag-M...ht_2012wt_1208

They had ISO 14443A standard, which seems to be nfc type 2? can i use them with nexus4?
Those look like Classic 1K tags.

You can use Mifare Ultralight C, NTAG, Topaz, Desfire, Felica tags without any problems.

Oggy512
Old
Thanks Meter 1
okay, thanks!!

the second link i posted seems to use the "NXP Mifare NTAG 203" chipset with 168 byte. this would probably work you say?

krohnjw
Old
Thanks Meter 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy512 View Post
okay, thanks!!

the second link i posted seems to use the "NXP Mifare NTAG 203" chipset with 168 byte. this would probably work you say?
Yeah. Generally speaking anti-metal tags are more expensive as they have an isolation layer between the surface and the IC so that they work on metal.

Oggy512
Old
Thanks Meter 1
ok. i'm not sure which way i'll use the tags, but if i now buy them wihtout "metal-funktion", i have maybe to buy another ones.
so i now buy the "metal-funktion" tags and i'm on the secur side, u know