5,600,053 Members 42,770 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF] "Android for the Nexus 4" 101 & FAQs

Tip us?

vikas_toad
Old
(Last edited by vikas_toad; 6th December 2012 at 08:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 61
any one has any idea on what custom kernel should i use with stock or custom roms?
the very popular ones i could find are
franco kernel
matr1x kernel

which one gives better battery life?

Also does any of the kernel or ROMs support usb otg yet?

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 7769

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas_toad View Post
any one has any idea on what custom kernel should i use with stock or custom roms?
the very popular ones i could find are
franco kernel
matr1x kernel

which one gives better battery life?

Also does any of the kernel or ROMs support usb otg yet?
You need to try the kernels out yourself and see which one you like, and which one has the best batter life for you. And you need to read/ask in their thread as to what features they have.

This thread will not discuss custom ROMs or kernels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...

Ivan Fuentes Hagar
Old
Thanks Meter 52
I think I'm getting it...

What's the difference between fastboot and recovery?

Is fastboot similar to what people call "Download Mode" on my former Skyrocket? Because I remember that was to download only, yet when I boot into fastboot on my N4, it gives me a full menu, mucho more like Recovery.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

El Daddy
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Fuentes Hagar View Post

Is fastboot similar to what people call "Download Mode" on my former Skyrocket? Because I remember that was to download only, yet when I boot into fastboot on my N4, it gives me a full menu, mucho more like Recovery.
Fastboot is the .exe that you use to execute commands from your PC to the bootloader.

Recovery is a program on a separate partition with tools that allow the user to "recover" their system. Custom recoveries add additional options compared to stock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Ivan Fuentes Hagar
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Daddy View Post
Fastboot is the .exe that you use to execute commands from your PC to the bootloader.

Recovery is a program on a separate partition with tools that allow the user to "recover" their system. Custom recoveries add additional options compared to stock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
I see... I think I follow. Thanks!
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 7769

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Fuentes Hagar View Post

Just to add a bit to what Ed Daddy said:

Fastboot mode on your device is essentially the bootloader. When you are booted into the bootloader (i.e., fastboot mode), you can execute "fastboot" commands when connected to your PC.

Download mode is different, and requires a different program to interface with it (i.e., not fastboot.exe). For Samsung devices, that program is Odin.

Recovery is another partition on your device which you flash with a "mini" ROM called a recovery. Unlike your main Android ROM, the recovery is limited in what it can do, and is mainly used for maintenance/update/recovery functions. Recovery is accessed by booting into the bootloader and selecting recovery.

Google Nexus 5

scho047
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Hi there,

I am not too sure if I am posting this on the right area....
I am new to the whole Android OS.... coming from iOS and trying it out with Nexus 4 (which I am still waiting on)...
But in preparation for my time I wanted to get few tips on how to back up the device and also add media files onto it...
As you would know, that with iPhone, I just needed to plug it and sync it via iTunes where it would sync my contacts, media, documents etc etc...
But I am not too sure if that is possible especially when using a Macbook Pro (and no access to PC)...

I mean for the time being, I have used the option of Google Play music and have uploaded my library where I can then stream from the phone. That would work within the networked area... but what if I wanted to listen to it say when I am on a plane... or overseas with no network access...
Can I sync it via iTunes??? and what about photos I previously have that want to have it stored on my phone?
and lastly, back-ups.... with iTunes, it can create back-up files with ease... and would I be able to this with Nexus 4 also???

Please help!
as for contacts, I have sorted it out as I have synced all my iCloud contacts via Google, and it is all correctly showing up on all of my apple devices...

Thanks

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 7769

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by scho047 View Post
Hi there,

I am not too sure if I am posting this on the right area....
I am new to the whole Android OS.... coming from iOS and trying it out with Nexus 4 (which I am still waiting on)...
But in preparation for my time I wanted to get few tips on how to back up the device and also add media files onto it...
As you would know, that with iPhone, I just needed to plug it and sync it via iTunes where it would sync my contacts, media, documents etc etc...
But I am not too sure if that is possible especially when using a Macbook Pro (and no access to PC)...

I mean for the time being, I have used the option of Google Play music and have uploaded my library where I can then stream from the phone. That would work within the networked area... but what if I wanted to listen to it say when I am on a plane... or overseas with no network access...
Can I sync it via iTunes??? and what about photos I previously have that want to have it stored on my phone?
and lastly, back-ups.... with iTunes, it can create back-up files with ease... and would I be able to this with Nexus 4 also???

Please help!
as for contacts, I have sorted it out as I have synced all my iCloud contacts via Google, and it is all correctly showing up on all of my apple devices...

Thanks
Google Play music is good for your music. But if you want local storage, then there is no Google app for that. You just have to copy the music to your device.

Google+ will backup your photos as soon as you take them.

GMail will synchronize your email and contacts.

There are various apps that will backup your apps and app data, but they require root. Or you can use the ADB backup command (linked in the second post).

As for a complete backup, this can be done in a custom recovery (like CWM or TWRP) and is called a nandroid backup -- it will restore your device to the exact same condition as when you took the backup.

Google Nexus 5

mjpado
Old
Thanks Meter 15
How is that?

frusso21
Old
Thanks Meter 31
What is deoxed?

Tags
101, adb, basics, fastboot, how-to