5,596,431 Members 39,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF][GUIDE][11/03/2012] Unlocking the Bootloader

Tip us?

TheDarkDefender
Old
(Last edited by TheDarkDefender; 21st February 2013 at 07:28 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3863
Default [REF][GUIDE][11/03/2012] Unlocking the Bootloader

-This guide is going to help you with step-by-step instructions that will get you an unlocked bootloader on your Nexus 4.

-Keep in mind that unlocking the bootloader will erase all the data on your phone (every single thing, including internal storage), hence it is preferable to unlock the bootloader when the phone is new, as then you don’t have to go through the hassle of re-installing everything.

Compatibility

This guide is applicable only for the LG Nexus 4. Do not try this on any other device.

Warning!

The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, I won’t be held liable.

How to Unlock Bootloader on Nexus 4

1. Backup everything on your phone, including the data on the internal storage, as unlocking the bootloader will erase every single thing on the phone.

2. Download and install the Android SDK → from here. This will install the necessary drivers for the phone on your computer. ( The drivers for your phone can be installed manually by other methods too, they are mandatory ) For the fastboot driver to install (and for fastboot commands to work), your device must be booted in fastboot mode.

3. Download Fastboot, which will be used for unlocking the bootloader.
Download Fastboot here .

4. Extract the Fastboot.zip file on your computer to get a folder named Fastboot with four files inside it. To keep things easy, extract the Fastboot folder to your C: drive.

5. Turn off your Nexus 4. Then, boot into fastboot mode by holding down the Volume down and Power buttons together till the screen turns on and shows “Start” written in big green letters.

6. Then, connect your Nexus 4 to the computer with your USB cable, then wait for Windows to finish installing the drivers (drivers will be installed only the first time). For reliability, ensure that you use a USB port at the back if you are using a desktop computer, as the front panel ports can be loose and cause problems.

7. Click on Start menu » All Programs » Accessories » right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. If you are using Windows 8, this can be done by right-clicking on the extreme bottom left corner of the taskbar, then selecting “Command Prompt (admin)”

8. Now, perform the following steps in the command prompt to unlock the bootloader (check the screenshot after step 8.3 for reference)
8.1. Navigate to the Fastboot folder which you obtained in step 4. For example, if the Fastboot folder is in drive C on your computer, enter cd C:\Fastboot in command prompt (and press Enter) to navigate to the folder.
8.2. Then, enter fastboot devices. If your Nexus 4 has been detected properly, you will see a device ID show up in command prompt. If nothing comes up, make sure you have installed the drivers (step 2).
8.3. Finally, to unlock the bootloader, enter fastboot oem unlock in command prompt. You will get a prompt on the phone asking whether you want to unlock the bootloader. Just select Yes. Remember that this will wipe all your data, so make sure you took a backup.

9. The phone will then reboot, and once it starts up, you can set up your phone.

10. To re-lock the bootloader, simply follow the entire procedure again from step 5 to 8, but in step 8.3, enter fastboot oem lock. This will re-lock the bootloader.

The bootloader on your Nexus 4 is now unlocked, and you can start installing custom ROMs and make other modifications to the phone. Have fun!

SOURCE

Current devices : Nexus 4 | Galaxy S4 i9505 | Xperia Neo V | Nexus 7 | Nexus 7 2013 FHD |

Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth ~Oscar Wilde
The Following 73 Users Say Thank You to TheDarkDefender For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

symple
Old
Thanks Meter 12
. . .anticpating the release date for purchasing . .
SyMpLe ReSpOnSe:MEANING FULL SILENCE IS BETTER THAN MEANINGLESS WORDS
| DEVICES: | SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3 (SM-N900T) | | GOOGLE NEXUS 4 (LG-E960) |
| ROM: | WANAM/XPOSED-STOCK 4.3 w/ TWRP 2.6.3.8 | AOKP BASE ROMS 4.4 w/ TWRP 2.6.3.3 |

FORGOTTEN / SOLD PHONES:
T-MO G2X > HTC Vision G2 > IPHONE 4 > T-MO SGS2 (T989) > HP TouchPad 16GB > ASUS TF201 32GB > ASUS eeePAD TF300T 32GB > iPad 1st Gen (iOS 5.1.1(9B206) > Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250M 16GB

ZeDestructor
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkDefender View Post
-This guide is going to help you with step-by-step instructions that will get you an unlocked bootloader on your Nexus 4.

-Keep in mind that unlocking the bootloader will erase all the data on your phone (every single thing, including internal storage), hence it is preferable to unlock the bootloader when the phone is new, as then you don’t have to go through the hassle of re-installing everything.

Compatibility

This guide is applicable only for the LG Nexus 4. Do not try this on any other device.

Warning!

The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, I won’t be held liable.

How to Unlock Bootloader on Nexus 4

1.Backup everything on your phone, including the data on the internal storage, as unlocking the bootloader will erase every single thing on the phone.

2.Download and install the Android SDK → from here. This will install the necessary drivers for the phone on your computer.

3.Download Fastboot, which will be used for unlocking the bootloader.
Download Fastboot here

4.Extract the Fastboot.zip file on your computer to get a folder named Fastboot with four files inside it. To keep things easy, extract the Fastboot folder to your C: drive.

5.Turn off your Nexus 4. Then, boot into fastboot mode by holding down the Volume down and Power buttons together till the screen turns on and shows “Start” written in big green letters.

6.Then, connect your Nexus 4 to the computer with your USB cable, then wait for Windows to finish installing the drivers (drivers will be installed only the first time). For reliability, ensure that you use a USB port at the back if you are using a desktop computer, as the front panel ports can be loose and cause problems.

7.Click on Start menu » All Programs » Accessories » right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. If you are using Windows 8, this can be done by right-clicking on the extreme bottom left corner of the taskbar, then selecting “Command Prompt (admin)”

8.Now, perform the following steps in the command prompt to unlock the bootloader (check the screenshot after step 8.3 for reference)
8.1.Navigate to the Fastboot folder which you obtained in step 4. For example, if the Fastboot folder is in drive C on your computer, enter cd C:\Fastboot in command prompt (and press Enter) to navigate to the folder.
8.2Then, enter fastboot devices. If your Nexus 4 has been detected properly, you will see a device ID show up in command prompt. If nothing comes up, make sure you have installed the drivers (step 2).
8.3Finally, to unlock the bootloader, enter fastboot oem unlock in command prompt. You will get a prompt on the phone asking whether you want to unlock the bootloader. Just select Yes. Remember that this will wipe all your data, so make sure you took a backup.

9.The phone will then reboot, and once it starts up, you can set up your phone.

10.To re-lock the bootloader, simply follow the entire procedure again from step 5 to 8, but in step 8.3, enter fastboot oem lock. This will re-lock the bootloader.

The bootloader on your Nexus 4 is now unlocked, and you can start installing custom ROMs and make other modifications to the phone. Have fun!

SOURCE
Exact same as Nexus S and GNex: Go to bootloader, run "fastboot oem unlock"
Current: Sony Xperia Z (C6603, the international LTE-enabled variant)
Previous: Nexus S GSM S-LCD (GT-i9023), Nokia N82, Nokia N81, Nokia 6600
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeDestructor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amitrathiesh
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Waiting to get my hands on the new Nexus 4. I'll be back soon. \m/

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

jacklebott
Old
Thanks Meter 490
Guides go in the "General" section
Cool Nexus 4 Gaming Thread
Past Device(s):
Apple iPod Touch 3G
Motorola Backflip MB300
Present Device(s):
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play R800x; WiFi-only, FW 2.3.7 [NXT Light]+[LuPuS-GB]
LG Nexus⁴ E960; AT&T, FW 4.2.1 [ParanoidAndroid AOSPA]+[Faux123 Kernel]

"Go into battle determined to die, and you will surely live. Go into battle hoping to live, and you will surely die."

TheDarkDefender
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklebott View Post
Guides go in the "General" section
what? this is development related. I did check a few other device forums before I posted here. Guides like rooting,unlocking,etc. always are in the dev section. Let the moderator decide that.

Current devices : Nexus 4 | Galaxy S4 i9505 | Xperia Neo V | Nexus 7 | Nexus 7 2013 FHD |

Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth ~Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDarkDefender For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashtemple
Old
Thanks Meter 3
this is awesome, but any way for a mac version?

thanks
Ash

killman2659
Old
Thanks Meter 225
I'm going to be doing this as soon as I get my N4. Hopefully they get sold out so I can wait a few days and CM will be released so I won't have to worry about setting everything up coming from stock
Current Device(s): Nexus 4, iPad mini retina
Carrier: AT&T
ROM: CM 11 (latest nightly)
Previously owned: iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, GSII, GSIII, HTC One X+, iPhone 5, HTC One

wngmv
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by killman2659 View Post
I'm going to be doing this as soon as I get my N4. Hopefully they get sold out so I can wait a few days and CM will be released so I won't have to worry about setting everything up coming from stock
How can you be sure that the CM devs got their phones? I don't think they have special channels do they?

On a separate note,

Awesome. First thing to do when I get that thing delivered. (and hopefully don't brick it.)

eep2378
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1757

DONATE TO ME
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can root without unlocking the bootloader, right? If so, why the need?
Nexus 5 (White, 32GB)
Rom: Purity(3/22)
Kernel: default Purity

"Physics makes us all its bitches"

Google+/Hangouts: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricPinho/posts
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/eep2378