5,598,086 Members 41,307 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ROM reviews

Tip us?

rirozizo
Old
(Last edited by rirozizo; 19th December 2013 at 05:02 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1071
Default ROM reviews

Alright I'll admit it, I have had ORD for about 3 years now. I've made a thread like this in the HTC Desire Z forums because I litterally didn't skip any ROM available there. Now owning an N4, I'll do the same thing... eventually...

This thread will grow and grow. It's my OWN, PERSONAL opinion... Don't judge me...

So here it goes:

SlimKat: The ROM I'm using is beta 1.7. And as of that version, I must say this ROM is feature rich already. It's fairly stable. What I liked the most is its kernel: I get great performance while conserving battery life when needed. I usually get home from University with about 15% battery or less. But with this ROM I get about 50% left. AnTuTu benchmark with about 100 apps installed (+gapps) scored a remarkable 19807. I was amazed by the 3D performance when benchmarking which stayed at 30fps avg.

The ROM has a lot of options and settings for you to tinker with. Nothing dangerous and nothing that can badly affect your phone. A very smooth and eye candy ROM. Good work Slim team, keep it up.

Gn0m3 Project: I was astonished by the idea of this ROM. A very weird idea that seems to be illogical, but it's not. The developer had an idea of implementing the xposed framework a stock ROM with almost no customizations. The developer is just too friendly and knows what he's doing. Minor changes were made to the stock AOSP ROM including under the hood optimizations and GDialer support, and an epic new notification system which I can't describe it.

AnTuTu (with the same amount of apps installed: 100+gapps) scored 17150 which is the expected score being on a stock kernel and everything... But you do get the performance, battery life, and stability of stock AOSP. So it's the perfect ROM for a Daily Driver.

PAC ROM: I used that when I first bought the phone, it was a 4.2.2 ROM with PA, CM, and AOKP smashed together as one ROM full of features. But sadly enough, it also combined all the ROMs' bugs which made it a very unstable ROM. It has all the options and settings. I've spent a whole hour just looking and browsing through the options that this ROM offers.

I didn't have the chance to make a benchmark, but it wasn't very performant, maybe becaude of the many features it has.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other users' opinions:

okanb3: Well, i contribute.
Purity 14/12: Has good and classify customizations. I also flashed Jana kernel and switched to ART. On ART, Purity is amazing for me. I didn't saw any bugs, stable for daily usage. Antutu gives 20288 Score with 179 apps installed. Battery life is good enough. 4h SoT with 24-36 hours of runtime.

Purity is definetely my hero after PSX. Waiting for PSX v3 release.

hypemanisus:
Primal rom v10: Ok all carbon rom fans that are crying carbon is taking too long well here is a carbon based rom with most of carbon features customised tikes, battery icons, recent position, center clock with day& month,etc. I'm a big fan of trinity/hellscore kernels I'm running trinity here with 4.5 screen time and my runtime is like 8/9 hrs I'm a heavy user always on my phone. running art here. The phone is flawless I'll recommend this over even purity cz I used purity for a while when psx moved and theirs something with data speeds on purity they are slower FOR ME.. try it out cheers

ISOCK youtube channel
ROM Specific Q&A/T Thread Template on the PORTAL

Get a (battery) Life!

Memeber of Slim Team (Support is never via PM)

Currently working on: Building slimkat from source.

Phone: Google Nexus4 LG E960 Mako 16GB Black | ROM: SlimKat 4.4.2 | Kernel: AK | CPU: 0.08GHz-1.7GHz | Recovery: TWRP/MultiROM
Dropbox link <--- click this to get extra space!

My Blog

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rirozizo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

okanb3
Old
(Last edited by okanb3; 18th December 2013 at 10:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 104
Well, i contribute.

Purity 14/12: Has good and classify customizations. I also flashed Jana kernel and switched to ART. On ART, Purity is amazing for me. I didn't saw any bugs, stable for daily usage. Antutu gives 20288 Score with 179 apps installed. Battery life is good enough. 4h SoT with 24-36 hours of runtime.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to okanb3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rirozizo
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by okanb3 View Post
Well, i contribute.

Purity 14/12: Has good and classify customizations. I also flashed Jana kernel and switched to ART. On ART, Purity is amazing for me. I didn't saw any bugs, stable for daily usage. Antutu gives 20288 Score. Battery life is good enough. 4h SoT with 24-36 hours of runtime.

thanks for the review, I'll put it in OP once i get access to my PC.

Sent from my Nexus 4

ISOCK youtube channel
ROM Specific Q&A/T Thread Template on the PORTAL

Get a (battery) Life!

Memeber of Slim Team (Support is never via PM)

Currently working on: Building slimkat from source.

Phone: Google Nexus4 LG E960 Mako 16GB Black | ROM: SlimKat 4.4.2 | Kernel: AK | CPU: 0.08GHz-1.7GHz | Recovery: TWRP/MultiROM
Dropbox link <--- click this to get extra space!

My Blog

The Following User Says Thank You to rirozizo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

darkrai
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Official aosp 4.4 by google with ak kernel- everything's great in it! Super fast, super snappy, super fluid!
Really customizable using xposed and has gives best audio quality by viper4android
4 hours SoT
My current daily driver until pa4 comes out!

hypemanisus
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Primal rom v10
Ok all carbon rom fans that are crying carbon is taking too long well here is a carbon based rom with most of carbon features customised tikes, battery icons, recent position, center clock with day& month,etc. I'm a big fan of trinity/hellscore kernels I'm running trinity here with 4.5 screen time and my runtime is like 8/9 hrs I'm a heavy user always on my phone. running art here. The phone is flawless I'll recommend this over even purity cz I used purity for a while when psx moved and theirs something with data speeds on purity they are slower FOR ME.. try it out cheers

I LOVE MY SLUTTY N4
The Following User Says Thank You to hypemanisus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

badboy47
Old
Thanks Meter 683

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypemanisus View Post
Primal rom v10
Ok all carbon rom fans that are crying carbon is taking too long well here is a carbon based rom with most of carbon features customised tikes, battery icons, recent position, center clock with day& month,etc. I'm a big fan of trinity/hellscore kernels I'm running trinity here with 4.5 screen time and my runtime is like 8/9 hrs I'm a heavy user always on my phone. running art here. The phone is flawless I'll recommend this over even purity cz I used purity for a while when psx moved and theirs something with data speeds on purity they are slower FOR ME.. try it out cheers

I LOVE MY SLUTTY N4
+1

The Following User Says Thank You to badboy47 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hypemanisus
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy47 View Post
+1

Haha nice pic oh wait that's almost like my prof pic or is it

I LOVE MY SLUTTY N4